Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Load DataWidenersLee Precision
Titan Reloading Repackbox

Thread: buckshot whats shoots best in your fire arm

buckshot whats shoots best in your fire arm

i have about 7 shotguns all but 1 loves #1 buck the 1 oddball likes 4 buck cant get good pattern with 00 or 000 as #1 buckshot molds are hard ta find only found 1 place that makes them so i ordered 2 to be safe what dose your shotgun like best an your load you use

Boolit Master

"My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master
    I load buckshot for 8 gauge 10 gauge 12 gauge 16 gauge 20 gauge and 28 gauge . In the 8 gauge so far I’ve fiddled with 0000 , 00000 and 000000 . In the 10 gauge I’ve used everything from #3 up to 00000 . In the 12 mostly 000 , 00 , 0 and 1 . In the 16 #1 and #2 . In the 20 #1 #2 and #3 and last but not least #1 , #2 and #3 in the 28 . ALL the guns I load for are fixed choke except one . My parameters are not as stringent as some folks but then I rarely shoot much over 25 yards with buckshot at a deer . I’ve put far more effort in 10 gauge loads than all the rest combined and have been fortunate enough to kill deer in the 10 gauge with every size I load for it .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Mold
    IME in 12 Gauge 3 inch and 3.5 inch Tri-Ball Buckshot rules the roost.

3 .600 round balls at 1100 fps through a .685 Carlson's Extended Extra Full Choke results in patterns ranging from one hole (witnessed) to 4 inches at 40 yards.

Second place is 3 Inch Magnum 10 pellet 000 Buckshot through a Kicks Buckkicker Lt. Full. Recent tests put 9 of 10 into 7 inches at 40 yards with 7 of those decimating a 3 inch Post-It Note.

My next shotgun will be a 10 Gauge.

Just my .02,
    LeonCarr

Boolit Grand Master

In my opinion, double and tri balls are more of a a slug, than buckshot. I'm not sure where to draw the line, but I think anything that including the wad is about bore diameter, is a slug. I shot five .457" balls in a 10 gauge, and that's about as big as I would call buckshot.

Semantics aside, so far 000 buck seems to be the best performer in 12 gauge as far as large game/defensive purposes go. I have not done much with #1 or 0 buck. #2 works very well in both 12 and 16 gauge. I never tried #3 buck. I've never had good luck with #4 buck for whatever reason. I'd classify the following as coarse shot, but some may call it buckshot. #F works great in 12 gauge, not as good in 16 gauge. Never tried TT. T and BBB never worked great for me. BB seems to shoot good in 12 and 10 gauge.

I've got some 0000 (.380") buck loaded in 12 gauge, and 10 gauge, but have not shot it yet. I also have some 00000 (.395") loaded in 10 gauge that I have not tried.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LeonCarr View Post

Second place is 3 Inch Magnum 10 pellet 000 Buckshot through a Kicks Buckkicker Lt. Full.

My only screw in choke shotgun is a late 80's Benelli Montefeltro 24" barrel 12 gauge gun . Not sure why I acquired it but I did . Anyway this one uses the Beretta/Benelli Mobilchokes and I ordered all three constrictions of buckshot chokes from Kick's . That gun does very nicely with 3" factory stuff 000 , 00 and 1 . And yes with this gun I pattern at distances farther than 25 yards .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

One of my shotguns only like slugs Stevens 720 pump smoothbore
    my 410 likes anything number six or smaller 20 gauge likes just about everything
    12 gauge likes 00 and 000