MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
RotoMetals2RepackboxLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Wideners Inline Fabrication

Thread: Need suggestion for 230 grain rn for 45acp

Boolit Master

Need suggestion for 230 grain rn for 45acp

Need some help. Need a suggestion for a 230 grain round nosed bullet mold for 45acp. What with the current status of many commercial casters regarding their cast bullets I want to start casting my own. Have a big plastic bucket full of ingots made when I mined the berms years ago. Since many of us shot commercial hard cast there were literally thousands of these bullets laying in the dirt. I separated them and melted them down separately in case I ever needed some hard cast bullets. Well that time has come. Saeco/Redding, or Accurate molds would be at the top of my list. Thanks in advance, Frank

Boolit Master

I have had excellent results with the Lee TL230-2R 6-banger in my Rock Island .45 with 4.5 grs. of Tight Group or Red Dot. Don't have any other pistol molds.
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')

452374 from Lyman is hard to beat several mold makers clone it
    Proud to serve, U.S. Army Infantry

Boolit Master
    It's sortof an odd bullet, but it seems to work really well for darned near everything....
    Take a look at the SAECO #058 215 gr. SWC fror a general purpose bullet. People who are much better shots than me swear by its accuracy in Bullseye competition, when pushed at match-level velocities. With its wide meplat, it should have QUITE good terminal effect if driven sufficiently faster. Load data is scarce, but it can be had, or even interpolated. It's easy enough to drive this bullet to 900 f/s, and probably more.
    Just a thought.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Master

I prefer a boolit with a bit of a taper to it. The discontinued RCBS 45-225 RN is one such boolit.

Many of the 230 RN bullets have sides that are almost straight and can cause problems in some barrels.

It's hard to describe what I'm talking about. Maybe someone will provide some pictures.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master

I have used the Lee 230 grain tumble lubed bullet with lube and powder coated no problems in any of my 45acp , check your seating in your chamber with the simple plunk test method , xdm needed a touch deeper not much but a little . Lots of good molds Arsenal cuts to size you want , copy of the H&G 34 is a good one .

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnt Fingers View Post
    I prefer a boolit with a bit of a taper to it. The discontinued RCBS 45-225 RN is one such boolit.

Many of the 230 RN bullets have sides that are almost straight and can cause problems in some barrels.

It's hard to describe what I'm talking about. Maybe someone will provide some pictures.
    I know bizzactly what you are talking about. I have it in a 4 holer mold. It's not really as attractive to me as the more hardball RN ogive, but it do feed well.

Boolit Master
    Forgot to mention a few things. Have three 45 acps. First is a Brazilian contract model of 1937 S&W revolver, haven't shot that one yet nor slugged the barrel. 2nd one is a 1943 Ithaca 1911A1 that basically has shot anything I care to run through it. Has a colt barrel in it at the present time. And the 3rd is a semi custom Springfield Armory (the new one not the old gov't one) with a Knowlin barrel and really loves the 230 gr RN gov't style bullet. That one has probably well north of 25,000 rounds of the 230 hard cast RN bullet through it. The 1911A1 probably about 10,000
    of the 230 gr RN bullet. Matter of fact the first 1200 45 acp cases I used for the two semi autos have been shot so much that the headstamps can hardly be read. About time they have to be retired. Thanks again for your suggestions and comments and as usual are greatly appreciated. Thanks,Frank

Boolit Grand Master

I have several molds for my 45 ACPs but one of my favorites and one I recommend to new casters is the Lyman #452374, 225 gr RN. This bullet casts easy from my 2 cavity mold, and feeds flawlessly in my 3, 45 ACP guns...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Accurate had one numbered 45 230 m in his catalog. NOT a true rn as his machinery can't do a true rn but the mall at is .18 that is very small. It is a very accurate bullet and feeds in everything it is one of my favorites and currently thinking of getting the same design in a 200gr. Also Tom can cut molds to you want except a true round nose in any shape size and weight. I use his molds almost exclusively

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

Banned
    the nose on the 452374EV 2 LYMAN & 45-230-RN 2 RCBS is significantly smaller than the drive bands so they fit more barrels without seating them deeper.

If your going with Lee, the 452-228-1R is a nice boolit BUT the nose starts at the same size as the drive bands andyou have to seat it deep to work in many barels

now (as previously stated the 452-230-2R-TL steps down from the drive bands to the nose

not a 230 rn but I'm a big fan of the 452-200-SWC uses less lead, fits most barrels and still hits hard.

Boolit Grand Master
    The LEE mold works just fine for me and casts flawless boolits.

SHiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin