Lee Precision Inline Fabrication

Thread: .30Herrett ? Any Fans in here ?

.30Herrett ? Any Fans in here ?

Well.. shucks.
    Back on the .30 Herrett Kick.
    Found a unused soldiered on front sight
    Barrel.. 1/14 Twist
    Ten incher. Cheap.
    Gobs of Sierra bullets..and 30/30 brass.
    Dug up my old RCBS Dies..
    I'm really thinking of some cast boolits....
    Last edited by buckweet; 10-03-2020 at 10:33 AM.

My old .30 Herrett was a super14.
    With sillywet sights.
    Good shooter.
    Like a Dummie, I traded it for something Shiny.
    Glad I kept the Dies ..
    I'm liking this ten incher..
    It's Handy.
    I missed making brass for it.
    It's fun.

Boolit Master
    I like mine, a 10 inch. Had a 14 for a while but got a chance to trade for a 30-30. Look for the IMR data book, there are some very hot loads from “ back in the day”. IMR pressure tested loads and I stick to that data, both my frames are pre 76 and I like them. I used the Lyman 311466 in mine a good bit, sorry cannot remember the charge but it was IMR 4198 powder. Nice old wildcat from back before the 7.62x39 and 300BO. I suspect the Lee soup can could be a good bullet for it but have not got Rountuit.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master

Me too!

Hey there,
    I'm with you. Some of my favorite cast bullets in my 14", .30 Herrett are the NOE 311-152-SP-L1/Ideal 311414 (which I understand was really designed for the .300 Savage,) the NOE 310-165-FN (30XCB), and the Lee TL314-90-SWC with 2.7gr of Bullseye as a plinker load. This group would have been much tighter, but I had the 4X T/C scope with Lobo mounts and lots of parallax. I've since replaced the scope and mounts, so now I'm expecting even better results.
    Ed

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img20190416_15430453.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	44.7 KB 
ID:	268005

Boolit Master
    I got my 10" as a used barrel in the 1970s.

My 14" was acquired probably about 15 years ago.

I started shooting these barrels a lot more after I found out that I could get reasonable accuracy at near full power with ASBB HF red coated boolits.

I still try to do IHMSA when the local club holds a match. I keep 30 H ammo loaded for the occasion. Until I got my 7 TCU, I had plans to use both for matches. Now, my TC lineup for IHMSA is a 10" 7 TCU and the 14" 30 H. I went this way as I have limited "match grade" 30 H brass, but consider 7 TCU brass to be "effectively unlimited" based on free (range pickup) 223 cases.

Both 30 H barrels seem to like my Lee 170s better than my Lee 150s. For accuracy, both shoot the 170s just about as good as any of my TC boolit loads.

I have tried a number of powders over the years, but have settled on WC 844 (H 335 equivalent) for full power loads. It is a little slow for the application, but I think this lets my push my boolits a tad bit faster before accuracy goes away. I also think it helps keep my full power pressures down. I really like this last item when using 30-30 based cases in a TC.

I load 223, 30 H and 7 TCU with this powder. My boy shoots a good deal of 223 and there is the IHMSA shooting for the other two. I also have been playing around with a 7 TCU in the AR-15 platform. As such, I have been going through WC 844 pretty fast. My latest purchase was 32 lbs to allow for lots of shooting before having to re-workup loads.

Quote Originally Posted by P Flados View Post
    I got my 10" as a used barrel in the 1970s.

My 14" was acquired probably about 15 years ago.

I started shooting these barrels a lot more after I found out that I could get reasonable accuracy at near full power with ASBB HF red coated boolits.

I still try to do IHMSA when the local club holds a match. I keep 30 H ammo loaded for the occasion. Until I got my 7 TCU, I had plans to use both for matches. Now, my TC lineup for IHMSA is a 10" 7 TCU and the 14" 30 H. I went this way as I have limited "match grade" 30 H brass, but consider 7 TCU brass to be "effectively unlimited" based on free (range pickup) 223 cases.

Both 30 H barrels seem to like my Lee 170s better than my Lee 150s. For accuracy, both shoot the 170s just about as good as any of my TC boolit loads.

I have tried a number of powders over the years, but have settled on WC 844 (H 335 equivalent) for full power loads. It is a little slow for the application, but I think this lets my push my boolits a tad bit faster before accuracy goes away. I also think it helps keep my full power pressures down. I really like this last item when using 30-30 based cases in a TC.

I load 223, 30 H and 7 TCU with this powder. My boy shoots a good deal of 223 and there is the IHMSA shooting for the other two. I also have been playing around with a 7 TCU in the AR-15 platform. As such, I have been going through WC 844 pretty fast. My latest purchase was 32 lbs to allow for lots of shooting before having to re-workup loads.
    Ahhhh!!..
    and another fan of the Herrett and the wonderful 7mmTCU!!
    I have three 7tcu barrels.
    One Is a super 14" extended to carbine length.
    Fantastic accurate.
    The others are a factory ten incher with sights.
    And a custom 11.25 MGM barrel with Burris 2x.
    Having said all that...
    I'm shooting the Herrett , slot more these days..
    Simply because I cannot find small rifle primers.
    I have several thousand large rifle primers.
    And plenty of thirty thirty brass.
    Sad isn't it ?
    But ? Between the .30Herrett, and the 23" 30-30Ackley.. I'll be okay...

Boolit Master
    "Sad isn't it ?"

Being "forced" to go with a 30H instead of 7 TCU does not sound totally terrible.

Not having stocked up on small primers is pretty sad though. I load probably 10 small for every one large.

I have a decent amount of SP, SPM & SR. I am thinking I have 2 to 3 years or so before I will be really concerned. Most of our shooting is revolvers in 327, 38, 357 and 357 Max with over half being SP loads. I may end up using SPM in all of these (even 38s) if the shortage does not turn around before I run out of SPs.

Quote Originally Posted by P Flados View Post
    "Sad isn't it ?"

Being "forced" to go with a 30H instead of 7 TCU does not sound totally terrible.

Not having stocked up on small primers is pretty sad though. I load probably 10 small for every one large.

I have a decent amount of SP, SPM & SR. I am thinking I have 2 to 3 years or so before I will be really concerned. Most of our shooting is revolvers in 327, 38, 357 and 357 Max with over half being SP loads. I may end up using SPM in all of these (even 38s) if the shortage does not turn around before I run out of SPs.
    I really miss shooting my 7tcu..
    But didn't give it much thought..
    One day I realized? Hummmm?
    Need to order primers...
    Got online...and nothing.. Nada, Zilch...
    Had no clue there was a shortage..
    ...but ? I'm blessed with several thousand large rifle primers..... One .30 Herrett Barrel. One .30-30AI Rifle..one 7-30 Waters... Rifle Barrel,. All are based on the good ol 30-30 brass..and I have a bunch of that.
    5 pounds of H4895
    I'm good for a day or three.

Boolit Grand Master
    .30 Her is one of the most accurate barrels I have. Took it hunting : One day / one deer.

Boolit Master
    I have one a friend gave me when he got bored with it.
    We originally formed cases with the discontinued Lee dies.
    Since then I have found RCBS reloading dies and a set of RCBS forming and reaming dies.
    The cases are a chore to make but the barrel shoots well.
    EDG

Boolit Master

Second Contender barrel I owned was 10" full sized 30 Herrett.
    The chambers neck was so over sized that it would leave a sizable ring if one stopped sizing it before the shoulder.
    Sent it to TC, they said it was "in spec" so to save my brass it was relegated to storage because I would never sell such a barrel to anyone.
    Last edited by TCLouis; 10-29-2020 at 07:55 PM.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master

I built an Ar15 16" upper in 30 Herrett Rimless...Does that count? 6.8 SPC case trimmed back and reformed with a 30 Herrett sizing die.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Add me to the Herrett fan list , mine is a T/C custom shop barrel at 10 3/4" I got it from RJ's in PA . It is a shooter the only cast I've shot is the 150 Lee FN , 16gr of SR4759 is a great load . My hunting load is 150 Sierra Pro Hunter over 24.5gr of IMR 4198 , from Hornady book . I've killed a couple of deer with it .

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Jesus said ( Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest ) Matt. 11:28

Quote Originally Posted by bruce drake View Post
    I built an Ar15 16" upper in 30 Herrett Rimless...Does that count? 6.8 SPC case trimmed back and reformed with a 30 Herrett sizing die.
    Yes...!!! That definitely counts...yes,Sir.

Boolit Master
    I used to have one, and then picked up a 14" .30-30 to allow me to use my rifle loads, and like an idiot, I sold the .30 Herrett barrel. I should have kept it, and will get another some day.
    Last edited by Lonegun1894; 10-03-2020 at 02:09 PM.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

I'm giving this some serious thoughts...
    18" .30Herrett carbine barrel..
    MGM.
    I think it would be a sweet woods Carbine.
    Last edited by buckweet; 10-03-2020 at 11:37 AM.

So I grew up listening to stories about Thompson Contenders in 30 Harrett. I am getting a little nostalgic and now I am starting to feel like it is time for me to make some stories with one. With Christmas coming up I can just buy one, but I figure if I bought the barrel Santa might bring an action (maybe with another barrel even lol).

I am really eye balling a 30H in 10" because apparently that was the cats *** back in the day. So any words of wisdom on the topic of buying one piecemeal like this?

Quote Originally Posted by OutHuntn84 View Post
    So I grew up listening to stories about Thompson Contenders in 30 Harrett. I am getting a little nostalgic and now I am starting to feel like it is time for me to make some stories with one. With Christmas coming up I can just buy one, but I figure if I bought the barrel Santa might bring an action (maybe with another barrel even lol).

I am really eye balling a 30H in 10" because apparently that was the cats *** back in the day. So any words of wisdom on the topic of buying one piecemeal like this?

Keep checking eBay, GunBroker..and whatnot.
    I bought my 10 incher for 150$ shipped.
    It was still in the box.
    Frame's are out there.
    Heck ? Who knows ?
    Somebody on here might have one for sale.
    Good hunting !

Way back I scored some 20 TC Contender barrels at a pawn shop, and fell for the .30 and .357 Herret cartridges. Over the years, friends talked me out of all of them and the frames, but I still have the Lyman GS single mold to remember them by. Nowadays I still have my Remington XP-100 in 7BR, it's a show stopper at the range.
    Regards,

Gary

The .30 Herrett is one of my favorite Contender cartridges, my barrel is a 10" factory bull barrel and very accurate. This is my second Barrel chambered in .30 Herrett, I got it shortly after I (foolishly) sold my first one. I have never shot cast in it but intend to give it a try in the near future.