MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWidenersInline Fabrication
RepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Titan Reloading Load Data

Thread: Western elk hunt

Western elk hunt

Returned home with a nice 5x5 bull elk taken with bow and arrow. Home made 208 grain broadheadClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5231.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	71.8 KB 
ID:	267996Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180817_181151.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	83.6 KB 
ID:	267997 Elk presented a frontal shot only at 41 yards. Good blood trail to almost 200 yards. My compadres were all excited about the old man connecting first day. I have turned down shots at elk before, but I am running out of time to do it again at 85 years old. There may not be a next time. Oh well now to get ready to go hunt the elusive nilgai antelope, the Blue Bull of India in December.

USMC 77, USRA 79

wow!!!! very very cool!!!
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Thank you Markopolo

Boolit Master
    Terrific job! Congrats!

Well, Sir, let me add my congratulations. Disregarding your age, it would be a significant accomplishment and great trophy at any age. I wish you many more such adventures.

Boolit Master
    Very nice! Friend of mine, from Austin, has been bowhuntng for elk hunt in CO for the past few days. He tells stories of bowhunting for nilgai, says that the restrictions on access and setup are ridiculous. I don’t believe that he’s ever gotten one.

I shot a cow nilgai once and misjudged the distance. The four blade Muzzy 125 grain broadhead struck low hitting the knee joint, breaking it apart. Just dangling. The cow went into the "Motrie" as the Mexicans call the Ebony brush and then traveled in the open trail, falling every fifty yards until it gave up going into the brush about fifty feet and went down. Another hunter saw it and went in and shot it lying down. I came along on the bloodtrail some later as the man and helpers were loading the cow on a game hauler. Nevertheless, I came away without any meat. Yeah, you are right. If I had not crippled the cow, that old boy would never have seen it.......

Congratulations. Seems like a lot to eat for one old bearhaired gent, what times supper? I remember you posting about those homemade broadheads once before, very cool to take an elk with it.

Yes Bazoo thanks. Wish you could have had the supper meal with us. When shooting penetration tests in a new target the heavy two blade head penetrates 14 inches apposed to a 4 blade at 8 inches. The arrow flies slower, the bow shot is very silent. It was a challenge to my strength to remove the arrow embedded in bone
    Last edited by OldBearHair; 09-20-2020 at 06:20 PM. Reason: auto correct mistake

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OldBearHair View Post
    I shot a cow nilgai once and misjudged the distance. The four blade Muzzy 125 grain broadhead struck low hitting the knee joint, breaking it apart. Just dangling. The cow went into the "Motrie" as the Mexicans call the Ebony brush and then traveled in the open trail, falling every fifty yards until it gave up going into the brush about fifty feet and went down. Another hunter saw it and went in and shot it lying down. I came along on the bloodtrail some later as the man and helpers were loading the cow on a game hauler. Nevertheless, I came away without any meat. Yeah, you are right. If I had not crippled the cow, that old boy would never have seen it.......
    I always wonder how these sorts tell their story. “We started early, long before sunrise. Stalked two cows that morning but couldn’t get into range, damn they have great hearing and are surprisingly fast. Finally as we were about to call it quits I see one in range, first shot goes right to the heart and she doesn’t take so much as a single step.”