Reloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad DataRepackbox
PBcastco RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What I wish commercial bullet casters would do.

Boolit Master

What I wish commercial bullet casters would do.

If this post is in the wrong place, Mods should feel free to move it to where they think it appropriate.

It might be seen as anathema that I don't cast my own bullets, but I still need more time spent to get better at it. As a results I still tend to buy my cast bullets from high-volume manufacturers. Given the hysterics in the market and the horrendous demand & associated with these products, I wish the commercial casters would make a change on their websites. I wish they'd list items that ARE in stock, ready to ship, somewhere on their sites, so that we who do not cast well may spend less time, casting about (pun unintended) their website, trying to figure what's in stock and what will take 8 to 15 weeks to deliver. On several sites, I've also clicked on links for bullets with no "Out of Stock" notices on them, only to find that they are, indeed, unavailable in any quantity, when I try to order. Frustrating.

I'm really VERY sympathetic to these manufacturers and I know they're doing the best that they can, during this "CRUSH". But some moves to ameliorate the above-mentioned features on their sites might go a long way toward reducing the elevated coefficient of "customer grumpiness" that they're almost certainly experiencing, now.

Just a thought...
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

It is entire retail system now. Friend tried to get a freezer, ordered and then found it would be months to get it, then - not available. Appliances are sent to builders now so you get to wait. Manufacturing and shipping has been shut down so pipeline will take a long time to fill. Can't find cleaning supplies? Schools are getting most now. Powder and primers? Ha. Get a real bargain on high $ scopes now - cut inventory before tax time.
    Whatever!

Boolit Grand Master

What I wish commercial bullet casters would do.

All they have to do is add an “in stock” filter to their site. This is very easy to do in most cases. They’re either lazy or want you to spend more time on their site. Powder Valley badly needs this filter. Wasted to much time trying to find bullets to maximize shipping costs. Eventually just stopped and they got a smaller order from me. I really appreciate Primary Arms who has a “hide out of stock” filter. One more reason they get my business more often then not.

They're probably using a older and/or cheaper inventory & shipping program.

It's irritating, but may help keep the prices down.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    I got a notice from Brownells a couple weeks ago, they were shipping ammo to California. I followed the link to find Nothing I Use In Stock. What Timing!
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Kosh75287 View Post
    If this post is in the wrong place, Mods should feel free to move it to where they think it appropriate.

It might be seen as anathema that I don't cast my own bullets, but I still need more time spent to get better at it. As a results I still tend to buy my cast bullets from high-volume manufacturers. Given the hysterics in the market and the horrendous demand & associated with these products, I wish the commercial casters would make a change on their websites. I wish they'd list items that ARE in stock, ready to ship, somewhere on their sites, so that we who do not cast well may spend less time, casting about (pun unintended) their website, trying to figure what's in stock and what will take 8 to 15 weeks to deliver. On several sites, I've also clicked on links for bullets with no "Out of Stock" notices on them, only to find that they are, indeed, unavailable in any quantity, when I try to order. Frustrating.

I'm really VERY sympathetic to these manufacturers and I know they're doing the best that they can, during this "CRUSH". But some moves to ameliorate the above-mentioned features on their sites might go a long way toward reducing the elevated coefficient of "customer grumpiness" that they're almost certainly experiencing, now.

Just a thought...
    The problem is that these casters are not web guru's and it costs them a lot to hire a company to take care of it, or it costs them a lot to have a web master on staff.

My sister has her own company and one of her biggest costs is web master service.

ACC

Vendor Sponsor

At Hoosier Bullets we try to keep an accurate inventory on our website. If it is not bagged and ready to ship we do not list it as in stock.
    I feel that it is dishonest to take someone’s money and then tell them the item is out of stock or on back order.
    We are a small part time business that is only able to cast about 100k bullets a week, but we work very hard to try to meet a customers needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    John 15:13
    Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Boolit Master

Well show where you live and maybe someone could help you along on your learning casting , I myself would rather show and mentor someone to keep this hobby alive and active , so many people miss out on the enjoyment of making your own , and with that said its time for a pint and back to the casting pot .

Just be happy you can even get the stuff you want.
    Someday you may not be able to.
    Then you will have something to complain about.

Boolit Master
    at hoosier bullets we try to keep an accurate inventory on our website. If it is not bagged and ready to ship we do not list it as in stock.
    thank you!
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Master

Hi Kosh,
    I agree with you, and it's not just the commercial bullet sellers. Even big names like Sportsman's Warehouse don't have an "In stock" filter so you waste a lot of time looking. I just wanted to let you know we also have some great vendors like Casting Machine on this site that sell bullets at very reasonable prices. I just ordered, and received, some 95gr coated bullets for my .380, and before that, I got some 122gr 9mm bullets. You don't have to go to their web site to see what they have and how much. It's a pretty good deal.
    Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Kosh75287 View Post

Just a thought...

Boolit Man
    My wish list has more to do with the bullets themselves rather than the websites.

I'd like to see as options:

Plain base bullets, no bevel.

Plain bullets for those, meaning no sizing, no lube or coating, for who want to size and lube their own.

Boolit Master
    Well show where you live and maybe someone could help you along on your learning casting , I myself would rather show and mentor someone to keep this hobby alive and active , so many people miss out on the enjoyment of making your own , and with that said its time for a pint and back to the casting pot.
    Sounds good on paper, but my my melting pot went the way of the estate sale when my shooting buddy passed. I'm not really set up to cast at the moment, but I hope to get that way soon. I'd LOVE to be able to cast the SAECO #058 215 gr. SWC, but much simpler projectiles that I've tried to cast tend to vary way too much in weight from bullet to bullet. I'm sure it's a learning curve thing. But now is not the best time to work on it.

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cp1969 View Post
    My wish list has more to do with the bullets themselves rather than the websites.

I'd like to see as options:

Plain base bullets, no bevel.

Plain bullets for those, meaning no sizing, no lube or coating, for who want to size and lube their own.
    I considered offering them like this, but i have heard stories of a caster from years ago, that got burnt by this. The guy that bought his plain cast projectiles, coated and sold them as the casters brand and not his own. The coating he used was not the same, the application was not right, apparently, this caused massive issues with coated lead and his business suffered and later closed.

I have been asked if i wanted to sell un-coated cast again, if i was to, i'd ensure to not sell them as my own, as i don't want people to spread the word that "my" cast aren't any good after someone messed up sizing or the coating. I know my coating sticks and they do not lead up.

Boolit Master
    We ran a home business for many years and I did my own web service. It took a lot of my time while my wife did most of the production (not bullets ). Just the inventory actions alone were daunting for a two person operation when you have many products. We ended up going to a production on demand system and no inventory. It added a few days to an order but reduced our workload tremendously. Also made tax season much easier

The best bet for web sites like that is to make a list of what you want and call them with the order. Takes a bit longer but it has the added benefit of 'getting to know' the people who work there. Sometimes it really pays off as they may have some experience with their products and can steer you to something better than what you initially considered.

charlie

Boolit Master
    ACC has it. Websites are not cheap or easy to build. Changes are expensive. I spent many years in the industry. What might seem simple can be very complicated to the uninformed. Downloading apps and posting pictures does not make you a computer tech wizard. To maintain inventory on a website - input what you just completed (cast,lubed,boxed), subtract from inventory displayed every time an order is completed, when inventory is empty, post out of stock to system. All that requires website work, then input along all points of the process - that is expensive and takes time away from production and shipping. A great deal of cost there, with low or no return.

Boolit Master

Do you want them making bullets or sitting at the computer?
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazza View Post
    I considered offering them like this, but i have heard stories of a caster from years ago, that got burnt by this. The guy that bought his plain cast projectiles, coated and sold them as the casters brand and not his own. The coating he used was not the same, the application was not right, apparently, this caused massive issues with coated lead and his business suffered and later closed.

I have been asked if i wanted to sell un-coated cast again, if i was to, i'd ensure to not sell them as my own, as i don't want people to spread the word that "my" cast aren't any good after someone messed up sizing or the coating. I know my coating sticks and they do not lead up.
    Although I didn't say it, my comment was meant for Hoosier Bullets. If you are happy operating your business using "I heard of..." driving your product line, that's your business, not mine.

That does not change what I would like to see offered for sale.

Boolit Grand Master
    Commercial didn't supply what I needed, so I started rolling my own.

shILOH
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Quote Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
    Commercial didn't supply what I needed, so I started rolling my own.

shILOH
    That sir, is exactly why I got into casting in the mid 1980's. Skeeter Skeltons promotion of the Lyman #358156 and Elmer Keiths #429421. I checked pretty much every popular gun magazine and Shotgun News looking for them. No luck on the Thompson gas checked #358156, and only "Keith Style" .44's were available. I wanted as close as I could to the real deal on those boolits. So my casting began. I later got into 4 cavity molds for mass production plinking and blasting. I can honestly say I've not regretted it one bit.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast