Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad Data
RepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Farmhouse style table...

Farmhouse style table...

Has anybody built a farmhouse style dining room table? My wife wants one, and I think I can build one cheaper and better than spending who knows how much on one from a store.

Anybody have any advice/pitfalls/lessons learned?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I serve Jesus exclusively...do you?

.45-70 Marlin 1895 GBL
    .30-06 Win. M70

I finally obtained a feedback post!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...80#post4182480

Boolit Buddy
    When I am looking for new ideas I typically start with freeww.com (free woodworking) plans. As an Agricultural Educator sometimes we have to look for a "new and improved" plan so as to not have siblings with the same project, that graduated a few..... years apart. Measure twice and cut once!

If you're short on workbench space, make it strong enough to mount a progressive on one end.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

You are in CA. but in my area I would look at the Amish made furniture. I recently stayed at a lakeside rental where all the furniture was Amish made from Walnut. The dinner table was a 12 place with a solid walnut top about 1 1/4" thick. The chairs were curved back and taper legs that I could not imagine being hand made but were.
    I inquired about the woodwork and was told it was Amish made in Ohio.

That’s a great idea about the free woodworking plans website...I’ll check it out!

As far as the Amish made stuff, I’ve seen some of their work and it’s amazing quality. My issue there is price. I’m long on time and ability, but not so long on cash.

.45-70 Marlin 1895 GBL
    .30-06 Win. M70

Boolit Master

plan on building 2, the first for practice and the 2nd for use.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Grand Master

Look at 2x4 tables. Lots of plans online and they look pretty good
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

I make furniture for a living. Ive trained others in my job. The things I see that most people do wrong, they don't try to learn what's required for a project, they dislike sanding so they don't do enough, they rush the finishing. In other words, lack of patience.

A lot of it depends on what tools you have at your disposal and what your skill level is. A farm table needs less skill than a marquetry top Victorian table.

Research pictures, plans, then techniques required. Use the best saw blades you can afford. Take time in planning before cutting and cut the largest needed pieces first, so if you make a mistake you can still use the board for a smaller piece. Anything you've not done before, test the technique on scrap first. Don't forget, mistakes can be corrected, worked around, and hidden. So if you have a problem, stop and think it through before you waste half a days work or $50 in wood.

I'm glad to offer whatever help I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    I make furniture for a living. Ive trained others in my job. The things I see that most people do wrong, they don't try to learn what's required for a project, they dislike sanding so they don't do enough, they rush the finishing. In other words, lack of patience.

A lot of it depends on what tools you have at your disposal and what your skill level is. A farm table needs less skill than a marquetry top Victorian table.

Research pictures, plans, then techniques required. Use the best saw blades you can afford. Take time in planning before cutting and cut the largest needed pieces first, so if you make a mistake you can still use the board for a smaller piece. Anything you've not done before, test the technique on scrap first. Don't forget, mistakes can be corrected, worked around, and hidden. So if you have a problem, stop and think it through before you waste half a days work or $50 in wood.

I'm glad to offer whatever help I can.
    Great advice, and I will likely be reaching out for more of it!

.45-70 Marlin 1895 GBL
    .30-06 Win. M70

Boolit Master

I grew up on a "farm table". It was an "X" leg type with benches made from our own Black Cherry. It was pinned together, very wobbly. It was great when I was small and we had eight peeps for supper. Or to do the occasional calf or deer butcher job. Otherwise it was ALWAYS loaded with junk mail, books, engine parts, fossils, you name it. It was too big for the room really and was a problem in fire wood handling. I would recommend an extension table if big gathering are planned. And heavy enough for at least a single stage press on one end. Mom passed two years ago and that thing was apart and stacked out within a week- replaced by a 4x4 oak top on springy legs that has two 1ft leaves for extension. The new is always loaded to the point of crap falling off, but I can get fire wood in far easier.
    My point is to look ahead. A farmers table generally now a days means seats eight or more, but more crudely constructed.

Boolit Master
    The kitchen table we were using was wobbly. I worked it over and made it a LOT better, but we still didn't like it. Couldn't find a NEW kitchen table that we liked, so I decided to just build one using the salvaged lumber from the garage that we tore down. The 4 legs are each made from a pair of 2x4s glued together to roughly equal a 4x4. The top is made from the 2x6s. The salvaged lumber is complete with many nail holes, some knots, etc., but that only serves to add character. We finished it with some wood stain and clear poly. Many years later it has developed even more character, but is still solid as a rock.

Quote Originally Posted by Froogal View Post
    The kitchen table we were using was wobbly. I worked it over and made it a LOT better, but we still didn't like it. Couldn't find a NEW kitchen table that we liked, so I decided to just build one using the salvaged lumber from the garage that we tore down. The 4 legs are each made from a pair of 2x4s glued together to roughly equal a 4x4. The top is made from the 2x6s. The salvaged lumber is complete with many nail holes, some knots, etc., but that only serves to add character. We finished it with some wood stain and clear poly. Many years later it has developed even more character, but is still solid as a rock.
    Any pictures of this table? It sounds fantastic!

.45-70 Marlin 1895 GBL
    .30-06 Win. M70

I would also check YouTube and search for "building farmhouse table". I am sure you should find some videos on how to do it and possibly information on common mistakes made while building one.

tinhorn97062 this may be of help to you https://rogueengineer.com/diy-furnit...dining-tables/
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - "Thomas Jefferson"

Boolit Master
    Funny you should mention this. I was out in back of the house where it's covered from the sun. 25 years ago my wife and I built a picnic table from plans I got in one of the woodworking magazines.
    2"x4", 2"x8" some carriage bolts and 3" deck screws. When we move from NY to Louisiana I had to take it apart so the movers could get it in the trailer. Probably still pretty wet as it was made from pressure treated wood I stained it so maybe a lot of moisture still in it. Takes two guys to move it. Basically all straight line cuts except where the legs meet the cement and under the table top. Should be many such plans on the web. Do use carbide blades with a good 40 teeth. Smoother cuts so take your time. Can use a belt sander to smooth things, or a large 1/3 or 1/4 sheet sander. If possible use the newer zirconia sandpaper, last longer than the aluminum oxide and cuts better. And make sure you clamp the various boards down before you make a cut. Much safer that way. Frank

So far, there has been a wealth of advice and I’m really thankful for it all.

I’m bookmarking the links shared, and frankly, I’m feeling a lot more confident in my project.

Thank you to all who have commented so far.

.45-70 Marlin 1895 GBL
    .30-06 Win. M70

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tinhorn97062 View Post
    So far, there has been a wealth of advice and I’m really thankful for it all.

I’m bookmarking the links shared, and frankly, I’m feeling a lot more confident in my project.

Thank you to all who have commented so far.

You CAN do it. I am by no means a cabinet builder, or a furniture builder. My woodworking equipment consists of a worn out radial arm saw and a couple of bench top table saws. I simply made up my mind that I COULD build a table, and since I had a good pile of salvaged lumber, I could afford to make some mistakes.

farmhouse table is about as easy as you can get. I made one a long time ago, made the top too thin, but worked for a while for us. plenty of plans for free out there as it is simple design. take your time, have fun

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I joined three butcher block countertops for the top and used oak for the frame. The legs were made from tier rails from a tobacco barn and are about 4" square. I attached the top to the rails with screws and a Kreg jig. The legs bolt in place with lag screws. It took three men and a boy to move it and assemble it in the kitchen and it's as solid as a rock. The only drawback is that the birch top is a little soft and dents more easily than maple...but I couldn't afford maple at the time.

Top: https://www.menards.com/main/kitchen...144-c-3629.htm

Kreg jig: https://www.menards.com/main/tools/p...23-c-10090.htm

I recently watched a video on building sturdy tables, such as your project. They recommened buying legs and concentrating on the table and skirt. The two parts that are easiest for home wood workers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast