MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee Precision
WidenersTitan ReloadingPBcastcoLoad Data
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910

Thread: Remington 510 Target Master

Thanks, schutzen. I took the rifle to the range today and could not repeat that first tight group. I looked at the fore-end but didn't have anything to shim it with at the range. I was focusing on my 512 with suppressor for rabbit hunting. I could only get it to group with round nose Geco Rifle ammo. And it grouped! I'll try shimming both rifles and see how that works out. I'll probably have a look at the 511 too sometime.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

hard plastic shims cut from 35mm film containers work well because it does not compress when under tension -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Boolit Master

"Film"? What is this "film"?

I imagine if film containers are lacking, a few strips cut from a fired shotgun shell would serve. 20-28 gauge, the radius would even be close.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Quote Originally Posted by schutzen-jager View Post
    hard plastic shims cut from 35mm film containers work well because it does not compress when under tension -
    I just happen to have one of those 'film' containers.

I took the 510 to the range again. I managed one or two reasonable groups. Then I tried out the Fiocchi Z's in it. After that, the groups just opened up so I've scrubbed the bore and will try again next session. I actually put on the scope to make sure it wasn't my aiming. Apparently not.
    Last edited by 303Guy; 07-23-2022 at 11:50 PM.

make sure that all play is removed from barrel at front of stock + there is upward tension on barrel - yes they are very ammo sensitive - i have several that achieve better accuracy with cheap bulk ammo then with expensive match grade - when switching ammo always clean barrel + fire 9 or 10 fouling shots before testing for accuracy - any rimfire ammo shortage problems there ?
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

No 22 ammo shortages. Shortages of powder though.

I rescued my 510 from the safe, finally. I'll keep it in the shop within easy reach. Just shooting from the bench bagless let me keep most of my shots on a 2" square at 40 yards.
    A better shot would tighten that group up, but hey, I'm having fun.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Fun is what it's all about. I was thinking about what to do with my 511. Originally, it was intended for my son but he is no longer with us so more recently I thought of using it as an open sight rifle - the 510 has passed it's open sight days. I've come to realize that older eyes don't work quite as well as they did when they were new. So, the idea is to see (excuse the pun) what I can do with open sights. So that's what I am going to do. Thinking back, I realize too, that those tiny pebbles I could hit with an open sighted 512 were actually closer than I thought. But I was impressed with it. I also wonder about the ammo I had available to me (cheap ammo, that is). I'm thinking it was actually pretty good stuff. Well, I'm hoping to get the range on Sunday with my 510 and maybe I'll take the 511 too. It's been a while.

I took the 510 to the range on Sunday. The 25m range was closed for a hunters course so I went over to the 100m. I had picked up a box of a new to me Eley ammo. It has the same bullet as the Tenex but cheaper. Well, I had just grabbed the only scope lying around that fitted, thinking that was the one I had sighted it in for. It wasn't. Just could not get that scope to adjust - it's as though there is something wrong with it so I put the peep back on. Not wanting to waste any more of that ammo, I went to Eley Club. Well, I couldn't get the peep on target either so I gave up at that point. Oh well.

But on the bright side I had fun behind the trigger and felt confident that I was aiming the rifle with the peep satisfactorily. I did eventually find two bullet holes on the bottom of the backing sheet I had put the targets on and they were real close together! Those would be the last two shots I fired after attempting to raise the POI. So, there is hoping that those were not just flukes. Actually I'm pretty sure they are just flukes. I can't aim that well.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910