Titan ReloadingInline FabricationPBcastcoWideners
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackbox
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Remington 510 Target Master

I picked up a Model 510 Target Master about 5-6 years back. It was your typical pawn shop find. Not in great shape, not in rough shape either. Just a decent old Remington. I broke it down and gave it a good cleaning, took a brick of Federals out and sighted it in. I've given some thought about refinishing it. Then again, about the only thing it could really use is a new front sight. It's far more accurate than I'll ever be. Not to mention with 22 Rimfire being hard to come by, it being a single shot sure slows down on ammunition usage, but not the pure old fun of a little plinking from time to time.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

If it doesn't shoot good give it a good cleaning.
    I have an old break barrel pellet gun that had no power and no accuracy.
    I carefully cleaned it and now it has both.

So I gave it bit of a bore cleaning. The muzzle end didn't look right so I cleaned it some more and shone a light in. Rust! In the muzzle end. Just surface rust but rust just the same. Well, I've done my best to just level the rust so as not to leave pits. I'll test it before I do anything else. I found the old rear sight from my 512 - still on the rifle but the elevation adjuster is missing. Must have always been missing. No front sight that I could find but it must be somewhere. Not that hard to make a new one though.

I must say the resto of the bore looks bright and shiny after fire-lapping with polishing compound smeared on 60gr Sniper Subsonic's. I new I would find a use for them.

I have nine 22's ready for a range session. Well, the Targetmaster still needs sights but other than that, it's ready to shoot.

I have an almost new break barrel airgun with plenty of power and no accuracy. The sights wobble around so that would be the first step. It's noisy too so I don't feel free to shoot it in my back yard.
    Last edited by 303Guy; 09-21-2020 at 11:23 PM.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Well, tomorrow I am taking the Target Master to the range. I glued on a front sight which should just about work with the rear sight. Unless it rain us out. I have nine 22's lined up for the range actually with a selection of ammo. The rounds I wanted I haven't been able to get yet, those being Eley. Still, I have quite a wide selection. So we'll se what happens.

Banned
    Let us know how it goes.? Like you, I took 4 of mine out Tuesday and one worked correctly.
    Old 22s are fun.

I’m in process of selling off my guns. I just sold my 513, my last remaining BA Rem 22. I still have a Rolling Block with a 513 barrel. I’ve got target sights on it. This was my official Turkey Shoot Gun for years. Shoots were 100ft. I enjoyed beating the snot out of guys with the rifle they said looked like a plumbing fitting. American BA 22s all shot good back in the day. People wouldn’t stand for the junk put out today. Bolt actions went under the bus when bean counters figured they could make semi auto cheaper. Now to buy a rifle the quality of a Rem 500 series or Win 69, ect you are talking $500-$600. I’m down to about 14 22rifles now and only have one bolt action. A Ruger 77/22 that was a gift.

Boolit Master
    How does one mount a scope on a 510...I would guess that it needs to be drilled & tapped for a Weaver 43 / 42 scope bases?

Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    How does one mount a scope on a 510...I would guess that it needs to be drilled & tapped for a Weaver 43 / 42 scope bases?
    50+ years ago, I had a 510 and wanted a scope on it. Someone, I believe it was Weaver, mad a mount that was bolted/screwed to the side of the receiver since there were no scope mount grooves on the receive top.
    Mine was done by a gunsmith and worked just fine.
    One of the many firearms I let go down the road over the years that I wish I had back.

Boolit Master
    I know of the side mount system, but there is no screw holes for it on my very old 510. I am in a quandery whether to have it D & T or just leave it as is.

Banned
    Wally, I would vote to not drill and tap. I looked at a decent 510 at a gun show today with a $400 dollar price tag on it. You would not want to do anything to reduce it's value.

The one I currently own will shoot as well as I can see and hold with the iron sights.
    I could undoubtedly get it to shoot better if I mounted a scope, but that isn't why I purchased the rifle.

Boolit Master
    The 510 is in good shape, but the stock has some "character".....iot has no Serial # and Pressman I think I best not to alter it. I wanted to use it for some 100 yard+ plinking, somewthing I cannot do with open sights.

I glued scope base rails on my 512. Some might find a scope too high but I made a raising piece to make mine even higher. Of course low mounts can be had but I just like my scope high. I'll see if I can get photo of it.

I am moving away from scopes now. I just like open sights. Some open sights are just bad but some for me are great.

Oh yes - it rained cats and dogs so no shooting today!

Boolit Grand Master
    Brownell's used to carry weaver type rai section radiused for the older .22's, so you could d&t and have a top mounted scope. While I haven't done it, I think you could epoxy a short section on the barrel/ receiver for a .22.

When it comes time to remove it the epoxy will let go with a bit of heat from a propane torch without harming the rifle.

Robert

Here is my glue on scope rail with the height extender block I made. The dovetail fit was pretty tight as I recall. I may have just left them as a press in fit but suspect I may have used epoxy for good measure.

If I decide to pass my Score Master on to my great nephew I might make a set for it. Or buy a set if available. I won't drill it though.

The Target Master is intended for target shooting so there I would be looking at a target peep sight for which it has already been drilled and tapped.

P.S. Notice the wood grain?
    Last edited by 303Guy; 09-26-2020 at 10:42 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    That rear sight looks like one off an Benjamin discovery pellet rifle
    Muzzleloaders....why don't you pick one up and smoke it sometime

Serving my Lord and Savor has been one of my biggest challenges and for sure biggest joys in my life....
    Thank you Jesus....you changed the rhythm of my heart.

It sure does! There are minor differences on the one shown on the website. My one was purchased new and fitted by the previous owner. I asked whether he still had the original but he didn't.
    Last edited by 303Guy; 10-03-2020 at 04:28 AM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    I know of the side mount system, but there is no screw holes for it on my very old 510. I am in a quandery whether to have it D & T or just leave it as is.
    Instead of drilling and tapping, you might consider having a machinist cut dovetails in the receiver. That way you can utilize regular 3/8 clamp on scope mounts. I've done dozens over the years on every type of .22 imaginable and it's never failed to please.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Master
    Went to the local show this morning, and there was a nice clean 510 laying on a table. Aged perfectly with browning barrel and satin wood and asking $160.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gtek View Post
    Went to the local show this morning, and there was a nice clean 510 laying on a table. Aged perfectly with browning barrel and satin wood and asking $160.
    And you brought it home? Correct?

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast