Inline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionWidenersPBcastcoLoad Data
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Remington 510 Target Master

Remington 510 Target Master

So there is this single shot Remington for sale in my parts. I identify it as a 510 Target Master. I'm interested in buying it, depending on the price it goes for on auction.

Those can't be original sights. It's been drilled and tapped for aperture sights by the look of things.

Anyway, I'm wanting a target rifle and wonder whether the 510 would be accurate enough. My 512 was very accurate up to about 100 yds even with muzzle wear, winning me all the competitions I used it in. Not so much in more recent times with deliberate shooting with available ammunition but it is old and does have a worn bore toward the muzzle.

This one looks like it hasn't been through a war or two. Should I bid on it? Opening bid is NZ$50.
    Last edited by 303Guy; 09-19-2020 at 04:19 AM.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Id grab that thing so fast itd make your head spin. I have one and it is the most accurate 22 i have ever owned period
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

Mine is wonderfully accurate.
    I can't comment about the sights. My eyes don't work that well anymore.

Mine had peep sights. Great grandpa bought it for granddad in the early 20s. As a teenager I could shoot the primers out of 12 ga hulls regularly at 25 yards. They are VERY accurate rifles. Really wish mine hadn't been stolen, id give anything to have it back...
    "Give me liberty, or give me death!" Patrick Henry ,March 23, 1775

If i remember right about the only thing diffrent between the 510 511 and 512 was the feed ramp im almost certain that the feed ramp can be changed out to accommodate the mag feedramp but ya have to have a cutout in the wood. If i am wrong id like to know. I just replaced the broken ramp in mine but i kept it original
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

I have a 511 which I actually bought for my late son. I've only fired it once and that didn't go well. Perhaps the bore needs to be cleaned or something. These 500 series rifles have a wonderful balance to them.

Anyway, I'll be bidding on this rifle. I'm not sure how high I should go on it. This one seems to be in mint condition and that is actually all the seller has said about it.

Thanks for the replies.

Boolit Master

sorry to hear about the 511.

almost all the five-teens have been lead lasers.
    i would buy it.

good luck
    WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Psalm 91:9
    Honda 919

I've acquired the last two I've run across and they shoot fantastic. My dad taught my brothers and I how to shoot with his 511 that his father gave him around 1950. My Uncle was given a 512. I have much respect for these models in craftsmanship, feel, and accuracy. I am not alone. Only my opinion but I'd try hard to find the correct peep or barrel rear sight and remove that fiber optic thing. In good shape around here; a 510 will bring around $125 USD normally. I hope your bid wins, sir.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Thanks Texas. Being on pension now thanks to covid, I need to spend wisely but this rifle is screaming NZ$150 to $200. If I can get it (and I'll go as high as $200) I will build a rear peep for it. I suspect that someone else also wants it so I'll be doing battle for it. It won't be a bargain but it would be a great acquisition. Depends on how bad the other fella wants it.

Oh yeah, I have the original sights from my now scoped 512. I had to remove the front sight when I cut the trumpet muzzle off and fitted a suppressor. That tightened the groups considerably but not quite laser accurate. I didn't cut it back far enough because of the tubular magazine but for field use it was perfect. No rabbit I pointed it at lived. It's funny though, in my past life I used a brand of high velocity ammo in it with great accuracy - this was before suppressors and cutting back the muzzle.

Anyhow, I developed a love for those Remington's. I've been looking online specifically for a Target Master.
    Last edited by 303Guy; 09-19-2020 at 06:21 PM.

I "need" a 510. I have: 511, 512, 512P & 521T. I have another 521T that is a long term project that I hope will look like a 513S some day.

I've never seen a 500 series Remington that didn't shoot.

Good luck with the bidding.

Very informal range report: I just placed a beverage can in the front yard +- 20 feet and played hit the bullet hole for five shots. Ammo was CCI CB Long. Despite my neck brace and sitting on the porch swing, I connected 3 shots on the insignia on the front; the can fell over in the grass and the last two connected on the bottom. These guns are magic. Thanks for the incentive- it felt So Good to shoot. Our Chihuahua never left the swing- those CB’s are very quiet from the long barrel.

Well, it's fifteen minutes to auction closing and I am leading the bid. Last minute bidders have been known to come in and extend the auction so it's not a done deal yet and I may lose. So we'll wait and see.

I'm going to clean that 511 barrel and give it another go on Sunday.

I got it! Apparently I wanted it more than the other guy and set my autobid higher than his. Quite a bit higher actually so I got it at probably the right value @ NZ$146 - or was it worth more? Maybe, maybe not. I would have paid up NZ$200.

So, now to pay the seller and arrange pick-up. I am quite pleased.
    Last edited by 303Guy; 09-20-2020 at 05:15 AM.

Congratulations.
    I believe you will enjoy it.
    I paid about that for mine and it isn't in as good shape as yours.

Boolit Master
    Congrats on the score! I have had a 510 and 511 for decades, no heirlooms I just liked 22 bolts along with most all the rest of them. I wonder what the new build cost of these units would be today, or just to find the old growth dense walnut? Went and dug them out, been a while and they do just feel good, enjoy!

Boolit Master
    I believe that the peep sight was on option at one time. Have seen them on several 5 teen series rifles. Probably impossible to find now,but keep looking, you never know. Not sure how your money translates into US dollars but suspect you got a real bargain.

Congratulations! I happy that you won it without having to fight the “buzzer buzzards”.

NZ$146 is about US$98-99. On one hand it's a fair price for an old rifle while on the other, it's a bargain for a gem. If it shoots laser beams then it would be an absolute bargain, if it shoots mediocre then not so much. So we'll see. I'm going to the range this coming Sunday if it doesn't rain. Just joined up a week ago.

Boolit Buddy

You did well, sir. The 510 is a gem. I have one and love it.

I have it in my hands!

I had no idea it had a walnut stock! Someone did mention dense walnut stock but my other two have lightweight stocks so I was wondering about that. This is a nice piece of wood! I shouldered it and it fits me just perfect. I look at an object, shoulder it and the sights are on target! I think this rifle and I are going to play nicely together. The bolt closes tightly.

The seller did not have the original sights. He said he fitted that rear sight and never fired the rifle. The front sight blade is broken off so Hopefully I can find the front sight from my Sport Master. This one has dovetailed rear sight mounting so my Sport Master rear sight won't fit. But anyway, this sight it has isn't all that bad. Rather wide notch but I seem to able to center what's left of the front blade OK. The bore looks mint too. Dirty but mint.

So, in my assessment, I got a gem at a very good price. Now to go shoot it! Oh yes - not forgetting fixing the front sight and fitting a better rear sight.

I found the date code. It was made in September 1947. Seventy three years old. And I've just discovered it has a 2-stage trigger with a crisp let-off!
    Last edited by 303Guy; 09-21-2020 at 05:51 AM.

Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast