MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2RepackboxLee Precision
Reloading EverythingWidenersInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleave re-de-capping tool

Cleave re-de-capping tool

I'll start off by saying I'm addicted to cool reloading tools! Old tools that are rare or cool, or new tools done in the fashion of old tools. Doesn't matter, as long as they're extremely high quality, and work great. I've got old tools from various companies like Ideal, Marlin, Winchester, etc, and custom made tools by famous makers like HM Pope, George Schoyen, etc. And some by newer guys like Simmons, Bud Barnes, BW Darr.
    But I just received a re-decapping tool that is about as cool as any tool I own old or new! It's made for de-priming, and re-priming cases, and is made by Gerald Cleave in California. Gerry has built other tools for me, and also rebuilt my Simmons re-de-capper when I first bought it and the decapping pin was messed up. I asked Gerry to make me a very special tool that could do the calibers I wanted to do most frequently. Those are .45-70, .40-63/70 Ballard, .38-55 Ballard, .32-40 Ballard, and .25-20. So here's what came in the mail this morning:

These tools are loosely based on the HM Pope Stevens tools made when he was employed at Stevens. Gerry's uncle Charlie made copies of them, along with copies made by Simmons, Meacham, and others. After Charlie passed, Gerry took up the mantle and makes these one of a kind custom tools. Each serial numbered, and recorded as to who got them, and what caliber(s) the tool was made for.
    I plan to use one of my spare display cases to make a fitted interior, so I can be sure I wont lose any of the parts! There are knurled decapper nuts for each size caliber, along with sleeves for the neck size of each cartridge. And a small and large priming rod for the different primer sizes. The knurled nut is taken off the decapping rod, and the various sleeves are a slip fit over the rod. Then the correct sized knurled nut reinstalled to hold the sleeve in place. The various shell holders are threaded internally, and have a setscrew to hold them in a detent on each shell holder. The end of each handle holds a primer pocket cleaning tool also for small and large primers.
    These are a tool to use, but a piece of gun art to be used also! Like the breech seating tool he made for me, this one is serial numbered the same number assigned to my Hepburn breech seater.

That is one well made tool and attractive as well. Reminds me of when things were made to last forever and looks mattered as well.

Banned
    That is really, really cool.
    R/Griff

His quality is always the same perfection, and finished too such a high level it's almost a shame to use them. But they're such wonderful tools, that it would be a shame not to use them!
    He built me a breech seater tool to breech seat bullets for my Hepburn Match B schuetzen rifle also. The gun is marked ".32-40 B&M" for the standard .32-40 Ballard & Marlin. But the groove diameter is almost .33 caliber at .327", so it wasn't designed to shoot regular fixed ammunition, as they wont chamber.
    With his breech seater tool I am able to shoot it as designed, and get amazing accuracy too. Otherwise it would be a wall hanger.

Boolit Master
    I have two of those tools made by Charles Pool. Gerry made more parts for me and his work is just as good as his uncle's. The tool in the middle was made by Simmons. The tool on the left was made by Pool but Gerry made the 45-70 parts for it.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

I have a Jake Simmons tool also, and Jerry made me a complete new decapping rod as mine was a mess. So now I call it a Simmons-Pool-Cleave tool!

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Nice looking tools.

Boolit Grand Master
    So I found out today that tool envy is really a thing.

Robert

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    So I found out today that tool envy is really a thing.

Robert
    You know what those tools resemble?

Some people say they remind them of nut crackers. Wish a nut cracker would work, as they'd sure be cheap, and easy to find!

My Jake Simmons tool with Jerry's repair and new decapping rod.

Last edited by marlinman93; 09-19-2020 at 11:21 AM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dangitgriff View Post
    You know what those tools resemble?

That brought back some memories. Gunner's Mates wore crossed beer bottles and FC's had a barstool as their insignia.

Sorry for the thread drift.

Robert

Looks expensive!

Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    Looks expensive!
    They are well worth the money, but you're correct; they aren't cheap. But tools that do both decapping and recapping are all expensive. But tools of this quality are something that last forever, and not something that can wear out even in a couple lifetimes of use.
    I use an inexpensive Lee hand priming tool for a lot of priming. So cheap I bought two, just so I can keep one set up for large primers, and one for small primers. But there's still the issue of removing primers.

Here's a couple more pics of how the Cleave tool works.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by marlinman93 View Post
    I'll start off by saying I'm addicted to cool reloading tools! Old tools that are rare or cool, or new tools done in the fashion of old tools. Doesn't matter, as long as they're extremely high quality, and work great. I've got old tools from various companies like Ideal, Marlin, Winchester, etc, and custom made tools by famous makers like HM Pope, George Schoyen, etc. And some by newer guys like Simmons, Bud Barnes, BW Darr.
    But I just received a re-decapping tool that is about as cool as any tool I own old or new! It's made for de-priming, and re-priming cases, and is made by Gerald Cleave in California. Gerry has built other tools for me, and also rebuilt my Simmons re-de-capper when I first bought it and the decapping pin was messed up. I asked Gerry to make me a very special tool that could do the calibers I wanted to do most frequently. Those are .45-70, .40-63/70 Ballard, .38-55 Ballard, .32-40 Ballard, and .25-20. So here's what came in the mail this morning:

These tools are loosely based on the HM Pope Stevens tools made when he was employed at Stevens. Gerry's uncle Charlie made copies of them, along with copies made by Simmons, Meacham, and others. After Charlie passed, Gerry took up the mantle and makes these one of a kind custom tools. Each serial numbered, and recorded as to who got them, and what caliber(s) the tool was made for.
    I plan to use one of my spare display cases to make a fitted interior, so I can be sure I wont lose any of the parts! There are knurled decapper nuts for each size caliber, along with sleeves for the neck size of each cartridge. And a small and large priming rod for the different primer sizes. The knurled nut is taken off the decapping rod, and the various sleeves are a slip fit over the rod. Then the correct sized knurled nut reinstalled to hold the sleeve in place. The various shell holders are threaded internally, and have a setscrew to hold them in a detent on each shell holder. The end of each handle holds a primer pocket cleaning tool also for small and large primers.
    These are a tool to use, but a piece of gun art to be used also! Like the breech seating tool he made for me, this one is serial numbered the same number assigned to my Hepburn breech seater.
    What, no 40-90 Ballard for a #5 Pacific?

When I first started in the schuetzen game I had a very old oak Gerstner machinist’s tool chest I used to carry my stuff to the range, and in one of the little drawers at the top I took cardboard and made a fitted place for my Simmons tool and its extra parts. As I got to know Jake Simmons at Beeson’s Range he used to tease me about being so finicky with the tool... he just tossed them in his range box in a jumble. I sure do miss him!

As for the price of these tools... if you buy one tool with a few extra parts you can decap and recap all of your ammo for the rest of your life. That’s not such a bad deal when you think of it that way. Not content to leave well enough alone, I have three now with a small box of spare heads and decapping shafts.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    What, no 40-90 Ballard for a #5 Pacific?

Froggie
    No reason I can't re-de-cap the .40-85/90 Ballard using the rod and shell holder for the .40-63/70, if the tool will accept the longer case length. The base and rim are nearly the same diameter.

Considering how many years it's been since this style of tool was introduced, and how many old tools of similar quality are still around and working, there's no reason not to think the Cleave tools wont also be around another 100 plus years easily.

Boolit Buddy
    How does this decap a case? Photo does not explain that process to me, at least.

Boolit Master
    One of marlinman93's pictures shows the decapping pin protruding from the priming hole of the case the case.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Quote Originally Posted by fgd135 View Post
    How does this decap a case? Photo does not explain that process to me, at least.
    If you look at post #13 it shows the decapping pin through the primer pocket. You simply drop the case over the rod, let the case pivot against the body of the tool, and squeeze the handles. The rim is caught by the shell holder, and the primer is popped out. Super easy, and I can do them as fast as I can squeeze the handles.

Boolit Buddy
    I have one of these I have had for 30 or 40 years for a Peabody rifle, I wonder where it is? The toolman.

Boolit Grand Master
    My “newest” Simmons tool has to be about 30 years old and other than a bit of damage I did to one of the original shell holders, it’s required no repair or replacement at all. I have acquire two more that are even older. One was handled by someone with “bad hands” (like Jake himself) skit has a nice patina. I expect to leave them to my pre-teen grand nieces and nephews when I shuffle off to that “big schuetzenfest in the sky.” They’ll work just as well then as they do now.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast