Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2WidenersTitan Reloading
Load DataRepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Defensive Bear load for .44 Magnum

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardcast View Post
    Tripplebeards, what PC is that? Powder by the Pound has a fuchsia listed. Is this it?
    Smokes traffic purple.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Here’s the same traffic purple with a little black and blue mixed in. I was trying to get it to look like plum crazy purple like the old muscle cars. Didn’t get there yet. My pops likes purple and wanted purple boolits for his 35 Rem and New Vaquero so this is what I have colored up for him so far. He likes them.

And traffic purple pure...

I even made hime a gangster necklace and matching keychain for Father’s Day. He wears the gold necklace all the time but his key chain doesn’t get much action.

I used a couple cracked neck casings and drilled out the primer pocket holes a little to help thread in an eyelet in the primer hole and JB welded them in place. They both turned our pretty nice but the necklace is the show piece. I have to polish the brass up with a little mothers now and then because he likes to handle them a lot.

He wants me to make him some colt 45’s next.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 10-03-2020 at 10:09 AM.

Boolit Master
    My wife wanted a rug and a necklace so four seasons we went looking for a grizz. Was like Martha Stewart goes bear hunting. Wife has her savage 30-06 me my marlin 450. She has her SBH me my SRH. She taught me to shoot.
    All the bears we saw were running for their life. If you want bear protection, bring my wife. They see a Swede, they're gone.

Arctic Gunworks taught me, and he might be right, shoot a piece of spruce firewood endwise. Neat way to split firewood. If a hardcast will penetrate two feet of spruce, will likely do two feet of bear. Bears are tougher than firewood? Doubtful. My carry round was 270 grain loaded by the book chronographed at 1700 fps. I didn't think a Ruger would do that. Nasty to shoot.
    Was also taught there are four bears:
    One bear is eating blueberries lalala
    30-06 behind the shoulder, dead.
    You can see them a mile away,
    and they see you, they don't care.
    Old rubbed pelt, worn teeth.
    Two bear is on a gut pile defending it
    You can't kill it before it kills you.
    Maybe Chuck Norris can. You can't.
    Three bear is the one we were looking for
    Three year old, like a bear teenager, not too smart,
    beat up by the old man kicked out of the house hungry. Beautiful coat. Perfect teeth. Has never seen a Swede. He assumes we are dinner. You have 10 seconds, front midline, chin to belly. You do have to see him first, or you're dinner.
    Four bear is a sow with cubs
    You can't shoot her, and she probably? won't hurt you, she is just doing her mother thing. We saw a few. She will stop for bear spray, or a harsh word from a Swede, and isn't legal anyway.

You have to be the predator in their bush.
    I would like to know how many bears we walked by. Oh no! a Swede! She's got a gun!! Hide hide hide! Shhh!quiet! Maybe she'll go away... Alaskan resident can take two in the Susitna and the bears know it... Good luck getting home smelling like blood. Never did get one...

Beware the brute that tore up the cabin every spring. In the roof, out the front, just shredded it every year. By the tracks, he lived there. We came to visit, he left. We left, he came back. Kind of a timeshare. I am sure he saw us, but we never saw him. Apex predator, lives on salmon, moose, caribou, and blueberries.

Just bring a Swede. Bears are afraid of Swedes.
    Rightfully so. Professional courtesy.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    Smokes traffic purple.
    Thanks much.

Banned

Ive shot a ton of animals with 45 colts and the 300 grain rcbs swcgc and a lbt 320 lfngc. Now unless your talking brown bear which i dont have a bit of experience with ill say this. Going from 1100 fps to 1300 fps buys you exactly nothing but recoil. Ive never seen were 200fps shocks an animal or kills it any quicker. With cast bullets its all about shot placement and penetration. In many cases 1100 fps with a heavy cast will out penetrate 13-1500 fps loads. If you want to use your 2400 try about 17 grains with a 300. Find a load that gives you the best accuracy and dont worry about velocity. Ive killed black bear, pigs, and deer with 45 colts using 255s at 900 fps and they did just fine. Ive killed bison with 300s at 1100 and to be honest never saw much of a difference between 44 mags and 45 colts loaded like that then the ones ive shot with the 475 and 500 linebaughs.

Boolit Master
    What Lloyd said. For some reason, penetration doesn't increase with cast fn boolits after around 1100 fps and may actually drop.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12