Reloading EverythingRepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Load DataSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 1903 rebuild verification and value questions.... pic heavy. 1903 experts?

Boolit Master

1903 rebuild verification and value questions.... pic heavy. 1903 experts?

Let me start of by saying... this is not a forsale thread!

I have had this old 1903 for 20 + years and I finally decided to figure out what I could about it. It is a beautiful gun to start with, I am not sure it was ever issued after a rebuild. I would really like to have an idea of value and may at some point consider selling it as I do not shoot it, it is way to clean and beautiful. I hate having a gun, even one this historic taking up safe space, when I do not use it. I have another one that was sporterized, I think in the 50's, that is perfectly built with awesome peep sights that I do shoot regularly.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	03-1.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	10.7 KB 
ID:	267902Click image for larger version. 

Name:	03-2.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	7.3 KB 
ID:	267903Click image for larger version. 

Name:	03-3.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	10.9 KB 
ID:	267904

I believe that it was built in 1911, based on serial number. Yes, that is one of the brittle years. It does have a Hatcher hole. I do not have the cleaning kit for this rifle.

Name:	03-4.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	58.7 KB 
ID:	267905Click image for larger version. 

Name:	03-12.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	57.3 KB 
ID:	267906

I also believe that it was arsenal rebuilt in 1942 at the San Antonio Arsenal. The stock stamps, bolt steel numbers and barrel date all indicate this is the case. The barrel is super clean and smooth and is a 4 groove without star gauge marks. The sight is an open blade with stampings as well. The blade is marked with a "0" and the blade holder is marked with an "R".

Name:	03-7.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	38.3 KB 
ID:	267907Click image for larger version. 

Name:	03-8.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	35.5 KB 
ID:	267908Click image for larger version. 

Name:	03-5.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	33.5 KB 
ID:	267909Click image for larger version. 

Name:	03-6.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	38.7 KB 
ID:	267911Click image for larger version. 

Name:	03-13.jpg 
Size:	33.0 KB 
ID:	267914

I have also found the other following stampings for proofing and manufacturer of parts used. Also, all stampings are under the original finish as should be. The butt plate is a smooth, large hole with the script "2" by the attachment screw.

Name:	03-10.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	433.0 KB 
ID:	267910Click image for larger version. 

Name:	03-11.jpg 
Size:	38.6 KB 
ID:	267912Click image for larger version. 

Name:	03-9.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	32.7 KB 
ID:	267913

I think, from what I have seen that this rifle should be worth somewhere around $1200 as she sits. Am I in the correct ballpark??? I can take other pics if needed.

Thanks Matt
    Last edited by mattw; 09-18-2020 at 10:28 AM.

I think that is the correct value.

Boolit Master

Thanks, that is what I think I am seeing for similar rifles... I just know that this one is a beauty and I just can't bring myself to shoot it more than 8 or 10 reduced cast loads every 10 years or so.

Boolit Master

That is most probably a WW II rebuild. It has a May 1942 barrel, it also has a 03A3 trigger guard/floorplate, a Remington front sight, etc.. I think you might have to run down some 1903 parts to correct that rifle to get $1200.00 for it, especially from a collector. You can find a lot of info if you can find a copy of Brophy's book of the 1903, 1903A3 and transitional models. Serial numbers, reworked number, etc.. james

According to "Hatcher's Notebook", pg. 219, this rifle is one of the late Low Number Springfields, as the improved heat treatment started with serial no. 285507 at Rock Island Arsenal. I know that you know this information, mattw, just posting it for other readers. Despite that fact, I think the estimated value will hold up, as it remains a collector item in fine condition, and U.S. Military collectables bring a premium now days, especially M1903s and 1917s.

Boolit Master
    IMO, it's not worth anywhere near $1200 in its current state. Definitely a mixmaster with a multitude of incorrect parts- and anybody's guess if it was refurbed at a gov't arsenal during WWII (my guess is not). Just as likely to have been assembled from Army surplus bits in someone's basement 30-40 years ago. (Looks exactly like one I did that way back in the mid-70's from around $50 worth of parts I accumulated.)

Sorry to sound so harsh, but even in the world of '03 Springfields there must be a high degree of "deniable plausibility" to eke top dollar out of one as being a genuine "Arsenal rework". It's value lies as a shooter, and even that's suspect due to its low serial number. Realistically, again in my opinion, $5-700. $1200 these days will still get you an honest-to-God correct '03.

Boolit Master
    At most Gun shows here on the east coast. There are between 100-300 Springfields on a variety of tables. major shows. allentown PA, Baltimore, richmond and other. Unless it's Perfect pre WWI or One cut for Peterson . Price 5-$700 is good. When you bring it to show. you learn to Wake up and smell the Coffee
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Boolit Master
    The barrel, stock, trigger guard and bolt are replacements. Who did it is open to conjecture, since the barrel date would indicate mid WWII, about the same time the they were transitioning to the A3. It is possible that A3 parts may have been available but you would have to have some documentation that Remington or Smith-Corona were supplying replacement parts in excess of their requirements to rebuild sites. The bolt was made under separate contract, there were several companies doing this. Suggest you ask on the CMP forum, there are members there who are well versed in the 03. Agree that $1200 is optimistic as far as value.

Boolit Master

Earlier this week, I saw a similar '03 that had been 'restored' sometime in its history - reblued, refinished wood, and some replaced hardware - tagged with an asking price of $2000. Of course, this was the same 'upscale' gunshop/indoor range that was asking $800 for a used 6" S&W 686-3...

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

If you go on Gunbroker ones like that go for $1,200, but that site is a completely different world.

Boolit Grand Master

What it's "worth" and what it will/can sell for are two different figures in the world of firearms today. The number of the older milsurps in original configuration (not to be confused with new "as issued" condition) is finite. The country's population has almost trippled in population in my lifetime. Thus the demand is much higher for those few finite number of such rifles. Throw in that anything old is "collectable" and that also influences the selling price above the "worth" price.

Bottom line; what the rifle is worth has nothing to do with what it can sell for.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

I believe the curved bolt is a stronger bolt, according to the CMP booklet. CMP matches still won’t allow these in the Matches. I would have no issue shooting it especially with cast bullet loads.

And then you have the CMP, Mitchell’s Mausers, Shuffs Refinishing, Fords and Turnbulls rebuilding milsurps and collectibles. Collectors/shooters with deep pockets are buying those very prettied up pieces of firearm history. In 50-75 years when they age the water will become even muddier as to what something is truly worth. I hope whoever eventually gets my milsurp collection enjoys them as I have.