Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load DataReloading Everything
Lee Precision Repackbox

Thread: New Barrrel for the Underhammer

New Barrrel for the Underhammer

I have a underhammer muzzleloader. Got it from Pecatonica River. Nice people to work with. I really enjoy it my muzzleloader. It has two barrels that I can switch back and for between.

A .36 caliber rifle that I use for targets. And a 20 gauge smooth bore that I use to hunt with. Mostly doves. One day I would like to try turkey with it.

I would like to get .45 to .50 cal barrel to hunt deer with. Or longer distance target. I am thinking 28 to 30 inch long barrel. But that is not fixed in stone

Could either shoot ball or shoot bullets.

I would like some input.

What caliber? What twist rate? What barrel length? And why.

Thanks in Advance

Lost

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	03BC7826-68B5-48E0-BCF4-9A07EF3FF07F.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	267896

Just getting ready to finish the stock on this one. 54 caliber 34 inch barrel. I have never had a muzzle loader with a scope so thought I’d give it a try. Thinking a 20 gage barrel might be fun to go with this, or maybe a short 54 caliber. I may see if I can get a 32 lightweight to try as well.
    Seems you have a good start on your setup, guess you can foresee I would suggest a 54
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

That's a nice looking rifle. I like the scope.

Boolit Master
    It’s a Simmons shotgun scope I had in the “stuff” drawer. The rifle weighs 8 lbs even and balances between the rear sight and the front of the scope. That’s an 870 stock I was given that had wood splintered from the head, plenty left for fitting up. It’s a round ball gun, I have never fiddled with bullets in my muzzle loaders, just me. Really thinking I want a shorter barrel with basic fixed sights for woods hunting, well and just cause.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

The .50 is often considered the best all around caliber, more versatile than the .45 & .54 because it hits harder than the .45 and shoots flatter than the .54.
    The .45 may have an edge in target shooting because it shoots faster and flatter, while the .54 has an edge for hunting.
    I'd opt for the .50 with whichever barrel length that you prefer.
    But the longer barrel would provide a longer sighting plane which could increase accuracy.
    A barrel can always be shortened, and then use the extra inches as a false muzzle.
    The twist rate is definitely a matter of personal preference based on which projectiles are favored.
    I think that a 1 in 48" works well enough for both conicals and PRB's.
    Last edited by arcticap; 09-18-2020 at 01:23 AM.

I've been thinking about the same thing. Recently I noticed McGowen barrels makes a .416/.423 barrel. That would be pretty slick on a muzzleloader, you could shoot normal .416 cast bullets out of it. I may go that way when I get a round Tuit.

Boolit Master
    Get yourself a barrel rifled for what the English would call “Express Rifling”, somewhere between 1/120” and 1/200”. A patched round ball over 150-180 grains of powder should make a flat shooting rifle out to +/- a couple hundred yards.

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by StrawHat View Post
    Get yourself a barrel rifled for what the English would call “Express Rifling”, somewhere between 1/120” and 1/200”. A patched round ball over 150-180 grains of powder should make a flat shooting rifle out to +/- a couple hundred yards.

Kevin
    Years ago, I had Jerry Cunningham cut me a 1=120 twist .62. It took 180 gr. 3FFF to make it perform. Killed at both ends!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Banned
    the 50 cal round ball shoots best with anyload if it is a 1/60 twist. never fussy. always accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Years ago, I had Jerry Cunningham cut me a 1=120 twist .62. It took 180 gr. 3FFF to make it perform. Killed at both ends!
    Ouch ! Made my shoulder hurt just reading that .
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!