MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: My new Blackhawk & GP100 Grips by Sack Peterson

My new Blackhawk & GP100 Grips by Sack Peterson

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	64.1 KB 
ID:	267894
    Back when the government was giving away free money I bought these 2 sets of grips from Sack Peterson. I told him I'd be glad to wait however long to ensure a good match on color and bark. Just over three months later he sent my grips. Well the fitting sucked. Not just a bit proud on the edges but sloppily fit on the frame, for the blackhawk grips. I was able to clean it up and had just enough to get it fit on the edges of the grip frame. I shaped them some and repolished them. Good thing I'm a craftsman, a normal not handy person wouldn't have been able to. The color is matched well and there is no bark on the left side, with only a trace on the right. Overall I'm happy with the color and bark.

The GP 100 panels are excellent in match. But they sucked in fit. The left side would fit but wasn't shaped just right in my rubber body, but the right side would not fit at all. It was 1/8" long and the shape was a bit off. I was able to fit them with relative ease.

Since I was able to put two hours in, and successfully fixed these grips I'm moderately happy. Not sure if I love them or not until I shoot the guns a while with them.
    Last edited by Bazoo; 09-17-2020 at 10:48 PM.

I wonder if Sack is slacking off. I have some of his grips panels and they are excellent but that was from a while back. In any event, you have two very handsome handguns.

Vendor Sponsor

Couple of years ago I sent him my grip frame, asked for some fairly thin Gunfighter style grips. Months went by and I was getting pretty fed up with the wait being he was posting pics of finished grips regularly, when they finally arrived they were just bulky and thicker than I would have ever dreamed. I sent them back. Waste of time and lots of it.

Edit: I will give credit for a good fit to the metal, and they were well made and very pretty. Just waaaay too thick. When you spend custom grip money and you give the grip maker a VERY detailed description of what you want, then that's what you should get.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

For the SBH panels, I had requested a fair amount of bark, and received next to nothing. I did receive the panels that were the thickness I was expecting though.

The GP100 panels are really more than I'd wanted bark wise but I'm not unhappy as they match very well.

I had asked that both sets have the screw heads on the right panel. The GP100 is on the left side. One of the screws wouldn't thread in because it needed a burr removed from cutting. No big deal but it adds to the frustration.

I do love the pinkish/purplish color though on the SBH panels.
    Last edited by Bazoo; 09-18-2020 at 12:49 AM.

Boolit Grand Master
    How were the BH grips as far as the amount of spongy core showing at the edges? It seems like some grip makers are starting too deep... cutting away the desired bark and getting down too close to the center “pith”... and there is no apparent reason why, at least not that I can see.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    How were the BH grips as far as the amount of spongy core showing at the edges? It seems like some grip makers are starting too deep... cutting away the desired bark and getting down too close to the center “pith”... and there is no apparent reason why, at least not that I can see.

Froggie
    Elk has a very thin outer bark layer, the core or pith often has to be filled to make revolver grips. Sambar stag by comparison has a rather thick outer bark layer, axis deer antler is the hardest antler on the planet, with a pencil thin core in the center, but these are not large enough to make grips for a revolver.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Mr Frog,

There is some of the edge of the core area at the edge of one panel and it doesn't appear to be holes. On the butt, holes are visible. None of the area under the panel where it's most visible is soft enough I can score it with a fingernail.

I actually am thinking on filling the core areas with something, maybe resin, though I havent thought it through yet.
    Last edited by Bazoo; 09-18-2020 at 03:43 PM.

Views:	20 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	268032

Views:	21 
Size:	64.1 KB 
ID:	268033

Views:	27 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	268034

Views:	22 
Size:	66.7 KB 
ID:	268035

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    Mr Frog,

There is some of the edge of the core area at the edge of one panel and it doesn't appear to be holes. On the butt, holes are visible. None of the area under the panel where it's most visible is soft enough I can score it with a fingernail.

I actually am thinking on filling the core areas with something, maybe resin, though I havent thought it through yet.
    I’ve filled mine before with super glue. Just keep putting it on and letting it seep in until it quits soaking it up and it held up fine for me. Just a thought.

Boolit Buddy
    "Back when the government was giving away free money"
    Am I the only one who thought this was hilarious?
    Crash87
    "An art, to supply a truthful response to someones nagging, busy bodied question(s) such that the person feels as though their question has been answered, but yet, do not understand the answer and are unable to provide a follow up question to gain clarification for fear of appearing to be a dumb ***, when basically having to repeat the question

"LIBERALS ARE ALOT LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS."

Glad it have you a tickle.

I have fired the blackhawk with the new panels, and so far I like them. They are more tacky than wood panels. Makes a 3 pound gun seem like it's 5 pounds though.