Titan ReloadingInline FabricationWidenersReloading Everything
RotoMetals2RepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky

Thread: I'm a Lucky Old Man!

Boolit Buddy

I'm a Lucky Old Man!

Happened in my local shooting shop Wednesday and now am the proud owner of 2 pounds of Unique powder. His powder was a little picked over. I went in for 2400 and he was out but he had some Herco, AA5, HP38 and a few other useful powders that I would use for my 38/357. I have the powder but may have to drill holes in each chamber of the 686 and fit a flint hammer to set it off. Primers will be back and I am patient.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Congrats Rex - nice that you could find some Unique! I like to use it for some loadings and usually have a couple of pounds on hand if I can but I haven't been able to find any of it. During the last "Big Shortage", the LGS that I usually buy powder at was getting minimal shipments and you had to hit it just right as far as being there when it came in as it wouldn't stay on the shelf for more than an hour. Every time I went in, I was a day late and a dollar short. I walked in one day and there was one 8 pound jug of Red Dot and I grabbed it up. Since then, I use it a lot in my pistol and my rifle loading - shooting only cast and don't push them hard. I ordered online last May as I could see the handwriting on the wall and couldn't believe how fast the place was selling out. I wanted some Bulls Eye but the only thing they had as an 8 lb. jug - needed some H335 and that was limited to an 8 lb jug as well so bought both of them along with their last two 1 lb containers of Red Dot. Back in Michigan, I have some SP primers but have no way to get them to me here in Arizona so am down to very few and nobody seems to have any. I had to smile when you talked about converting your pistol to flintlock. I have a decent supply of BP as well as caps so if worse comes to worse, I can shoot BP. With limited SP primers, I can always shoot my cap and ball revolvers so all is not lost and if things really get bad, shoot the flintlock. Not much use getting all worked up about the shortages as it is what it is and hopefully supplies will get better eventually.

Boolit Bub
    I try to stay at 10,000 primers or more at all times any more because of these crazy hoarding sprees. Usually have plenty of powder on hand to. I have been caught with my pants down on 357 brass though. Probably only three or four hundred pieces of it.

Boolit Buddy
    I have no idea when primers will be available. When the cartridge companies can slow down making 9MM ammo maybe? In the mean time I have lots of 12 gauge trap loads.

I got lucky this weekend at our monthly match . A guy selling his surplus stuff and was able to pick up a pound of AA9 , a brick of WSPM primers and 1/2 brick of CCI 200s .

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Jesus said ( Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest ) Matt. 11:28

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by marshall623 View Post
    I got lucky this weekend at our monthly match . A guy selling his surplus stuff and was able to pick up a pound of AA9 , a brick of WSPM primers and 1/2 brick of CCI 200s .

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    You are a lucky man! Maybe buy a lottery ticket?

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    A stock of powder and other reloading supplies, is like money in the bank. Maybe better!

Boolit Master

Good deal on getting the Unique. It is usually one of the first to go. At least you will have powder if you should find a few Primers......
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too many primers.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

I know you are right..................
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    I have no idea when primers will be available. When the cartridge companies can slow down making 9MM ammo maybe? In the mean time I have lots of 12 gauge trap loads.
    Well, Remington is not making any now. Had no luck finding an 8 pound jug of Unique last fall either. Bought 3 1 pound bottles this spring.

Look here; https://www.precisionreloading.com/c...!l=PDR&i=UNIQ1
    Last edited by Cosmic_Charlie; 10-09-2020 at 07:34 AM.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"