Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad Data
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2WidenersRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coleman stove?

Boolit Buddy

Coleman stove?

Gentlemen,
    I can already see the need for a larger smelting pot than the lee magnum melter I have. I bought a whole pig of lead and it is going to take me a while to rend it down into smaller ingots for alloy work.
    I plan on going to a few rummage stores and trying to find a small Dutch over for larger batches. Can I use a white gas coleman stove to melt on? Does it get hot enough? I have an old turkey fryer (somewhere) that I could use, but think i would prefer the coleman because I can set it on a table or bench outside with ease.
    Also, I think the Turkey fryer is messed up as i recall. It's got some kind of dummy switch that shuts the gas off every 10 minutes if you dont keep pressing the button. As i recall it is kaput.

Boolit Master
    I sometimes pull out the Coleman two burner camping stove got an adapter and hose to hook it up to 20lb propane tank supports cast iron pot of lead no problem
    ive use single burner pump up Coleman too but rather have the stability of larger stove

Lots of folks use them.

Some have found that for the extra weight of a big pot-
    they surround it with bricks, put a steel frame or rebar rods over the bricks for the pot to sit on.
    That's to keep all that weight off the stove itself.

A welded up heavy steel frame & grid to set over the stove is great, but bricks & heavy rods will work.

A quickie version might be to take the burner off the turkey fryer,
    and shim up the stove to set real close up under it.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    I've got a big old Miller and lots of angle, so making a support rack won't be to hard. Thanks gents

Boolit Master
    Using a Coleman stove to melt lead in any kind of large pot give me the willys,It was pricey but I bought a 2 burner camp stove by Fire Chef. Each burner produces 30k btu. It can sit on a picnic bench or has some very sturdy legs that can be added or detached as needed. Last time I check said stove was around $100 and is powered by a 20 lb propane tank.

Moderator Emeritus

For smelting lead, I use a Coleman white gas stove and burn regular auto gas in it...just need to clean the generator once in a while.
    I didn't re-enforce anything, yes it will bend a little when the grate gets glowing red...I just bend it back when the session is done.
    I have found the stoves only last so long anyway, with this hard use, So I choose not to spend any effort into re-enforcing it. Luckily in my area I can find used stoves for $5 or $10 at garages sales or thrift stoves.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

I used the Coleman 2 burner stove for years. When I retired the first one it looked like it had been in WW2. I used the Coleman fuel & the generic brand from W/Mart. I finally retired the second one about a year ago (it was not pretty). Like JohnB I used the OEM grate & would bang in back in shape when needed.

Last year I bought a fish cooker from W/Mart (cheap) & fabbed a sheet metal screen to hold the heat & shield from the wind (nothing fancy).

Boolit Master

With the Coleman you need a pot that sits on several of the bars of the grate. I had a pot almost spill with molten lead. The bars bent when hot and the grate fell down on the burner. I would limit my smelts to around 30 pounds.

Boolit Master

A cheap propane-fired Fish Fryer from WalMart has served me well for 10 years now. I use a cast iron dutch oven to smelt in and, as mentioned above, a shield to deflect the wind helps. All I use for that is aluminum foil, 4 layers thick.

The Coleman stove will work, did that for a few years, but it's slow. The money spent for the fish fryer was well worth the time it saves me!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Buddy

Somewhere between the Red and the Rio Grande
    A second for the cheap propane fish cooker , I’ve used one for years and it works great .
    Keep your powder dry and watch your six !!

If you have a good fryer, the burner can be replaced easy enough. I had an old wally world fish fryer that worked for lead but not real well. I replaced the low BTU burner with a 100k+ BTU burner.
    Ebay has them, Amazon has them. Mine is a 6 " banjo burner. Comes with the burner, hose and regulator. About $25 to $30. They make smaller burners of 50k BTU for a bit less.
    Leo

Boolit Mold
    I use a Coleman Handy Gas Plant. It's big and sturdy and will eat just about any fuel.

Boolit Master
    Using a Coleman stove to cast works, if fact that is what I started with almost 60 years ago, but I would not use it to smelt any quanity of lead. The grid holding the pot will sag with a small iron casting pot, so I sure wouldn't put any kind of weight on it. The burner itself will definitely get hot enough, but the stoves framework would make for a dangerous setup.

If you are going to do smelting a good turkey fryer burner works fine. Just about any pot will work, but don't trust the handles unless they are really secure.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I’ve found that the stoves that use a liquid fuel like gas or kerosene, seem to create more heat than propane.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I started ~55 years ago with an old Coleman stove with a 20# bottom pour (Saeco, I think) pot in past, the grill sagged but never collapsed. It was only used for lead 'smelting' once I got the RCBS electric pot, before that it was my only pot.You could always add a couple flat steel bars cross the grill and wired in place (iron stove wire maybe?) if really concerned, maybe newer Coleman stoves aren't as strongly built as ancient ones but I doubt it. Wish I still had that lead pot...

Boolit Master
    old cast iron grates from a bar b que grill come in hand to put on top of Coleman 2 burner stove grate and also ive found good for dropping ingots onto to cool.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Instead of hooking a Coleman up to the propane tank, hook this up to it ... https://www.harborfreight.com/propane-torch-91033.html
    3000 F and melts the lead like a hot knife through butter
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master

DO NOT USE THE COLEMAN. Those stoves are great for small pots and hand ladling, but a Dutch oven full of alloy is very heavy. I'm guessing well over 50 lbs. That is WAY more weight than a stove like that is made to hold. Break out the turkey fryer. Not only safer, cheaper to run and heats up much faster.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanzy4200 View Post
    DO NOT USE THE COLEMAN. Those stoves are great for small pots and hand ladling, but a Dutch oven full of alloy is very heavy. I'm guessing well over 50 lbs. That is WAY more weight than a stove like that is made to hold. Break out the turkey fryer. Not only safer, cheaper to run and heats up much faster.
    I agree completely. Just think about how fast you can get out of the way of hundreds of pounds of molten metal if it quickly spills. You don't get over a burn like that. My smelting pot holds over 200 pounds!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_1520_1.JPG 
Views:	10 
Size:	146.1 KB 
ID:	268866

Got an old propane tank?....make yourself a pot by cutting it in half with a diamond wheel on a grinder. Then spend the $45 to get a turkey fry burner that will put out 300K BTU. I melt as much as 150 lbs in mine. (usually just 60-70 lb batches for safety)

redhawk

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0879.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	39.6 KB 
ID:	268868Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0878.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	268869

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast