WidenersTitan ReloadingRepackboxInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: new mold anticipation and delivery time

Boolit Master

new mold anticipation and delivery time

I just found an email that says DHL delivery is on the way with the first new molds ive been able to buy in a very very long time, years, this will round out my collection of Miha's 640 design molds for all the pistol calibers I have.
    the weather has definitely changed here and there won't be anymore sweat dripping in my casting pot and ive got everything set to pour some more ingots as soon and the drips stop dropping from the sky.
    just hoping that estimated delivery time is accurate.

Boolit Master

Good for you, great for the hobby! I hear you on the casting while sweating thing, I used to cast in a High Desert region, all year around. I always cast in the shade, breeze at my back, baseball playing on the radio. Well, country music in the months without baseball.

I remember being excited about getting my first mold, then the next, the a bunch of nexts. The last bunch of nexts were duplicates of molds I already had, I was outfitting a second house with casting gear. The last 2 molds were not Lee, which I am more than happy with. I bought 2 NOE molds which were reminiscent of the SAECO and Lyman molds I bought in the mid 1980s. Quality of NOE molds are top shelf. Still, I still have my first Lee mold from which I have cast over 750K boolits from. It is rough because a friend learning to cast beat the heck out of it. He offered to replace it, I merely serviced it. I have had to replace/re-tap the sprue plate screw twice, but have yet to install a set stop screw.

When I started loading 40 S&W, I hadn't cast in quite a while as I had plenty of rounds for the other pistols. I will admit, waiting for that mold was a bit of impatient waiting. My brother and I had bought factory to qualify quarterly with our off-duty weapons. We did not realize we had amassed 2K of empties! The day I finished loading all of those I felt like I could relax. 10 minutes later, another 1000 once fired empties were delivered. Back to casting, that mold has cast 20K since then.

Have fun!
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Banned
    the worst part is AFTER you get the molds you still have to clean well and heat cycle 3-4 times --- ANTICIPATION (is making you wait) LOL

Boolit Master
    ive never heat cycled any of my molds. ive got a dozen of em so far. I clean with brake cleaner or cheap carb cleaner then swab with 90 % alcohol let dry then loosen sprue plate pivot screw and put a drop of sample lube in there, ive got soft graphite pencils and paint the hollow point pins with graphic. button it back up and start casting. i used to smoke the cavities but once I tried casting a brass mold without smoking first it worked perfect. I still smoke aluminum mold cavities every once in a while.
    I'm a point in life where there are no worst parts to casting, reloading and shooting. its all an enjoyable hobby for me I take my time at it and when others are scrambling to find ammo at the stores I'm out shooting something.