Load DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Inline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Reloading Everything

Thread: 358 Win load data help

Boolit Buddy

358 Win load data help

I looked in my Lyman 49th edition, the Lee manual, and the Lyman cast bullet handbook but cannot find data I am looking for. I have a 230 grain bullet for my Winchester that I am wanting to load. I am aiming for 2100-2200 fps. The powder I was going to start with was the 3031. I was thinking of starting at the 36 grain mark and working up. Any reason that won't work? I also have Win 748, IMR 4064, and Reloader 19, powder on hand if anybody has a good load they would be willing to share utilizing these powders. I was steering away from the 748 because I don't know about the temp stability on that, but maybe I should try it!

Boolit Master
    Are you looking at cast or jacketed loads? COTW had load data for the 35 Winchester with jacketed in that velocity range, although the case capacity of the 35 Win is a bit larger than the 358 Win. OTOH the 35 Win was loaded to only about 45K pressure wise, so you may be able start there.

Boolit Master
    Those manuals should have data for a 225gr Sierra or Nosler Partition bullet. Start there. If accurate, leave it alone. MY Browning BLR is powder selective, being much more accurate with IMR 3031 with 200, 225, or 250 gr cast or jacketed, than any other I've tried.

Based on quickload data, it's impossible to overload the 358 with 3031. You'll easily be 20K psi short of max. My own 358 works great with noe 220s and 3031, I just fill the case to the base of the bullet. Actual amount depends upon the specific bullet and seating depth.

Boolit Buddy
    Sorry, should have specified. Cast 230 grain and powdercoated. I loaded some and shot them. 37 grains gave me 2050 fps and a shot 1 1/2 inch group. Good place to start tweaking!

Boolit Master
    The max OAL my BLR will feed is 2.70" which is short of reloading manual specs. A run through QuickLoad tells me that 44 or at most 45 grains of 3031 will push a 225 Sierra around 2470 fps from my 20" barrel. 40 or 41 gr 3031 should provide the velocity you're looking for from a 20" barrel. If your barrel is longer, you'll get more speed.

Boolit Master
    My loads for my 358Win Savage 110CL, 24" Douglas premium barrel:
    1. WW cases, WLR , 45 gr 3031 , 220 gr Speer , clocks 2450fps
    2. WW cases, WLR, 43 gr 3031, Lyman 358318 cast , Paper Patched, clocks about 2340fps
    Bullets seated out to magazine length.
    Your results may vary. I am responsible only to my own handloads.
    Check your handbooks. Re. Speer.
    Both accurate, great big deer killers.
    beltfed/arnie

Boolit Master
    220 gr. @ 2450 f/s... There's not much on this continent that'd stand up to that, especially if delivered from a fast-handling lever-action rifle. I'd prefer to tackle Browns, Grizzlies & Kodiaks with something slightly bigger, but if a .358 Win. loaded thus was all that I had, I wouldn't count myself "unarmed".
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Master
    Buffalo Bore has two 358W loads. Their choice for anything short of really big NA game is the Sierra 225 (or maybe mid/soft cast?). For maximum penetration on big NA things, they use a 225gr Barnes (or maybe hard cast?). Read their descriptions of their loadings.