Reloading EverythingRepackboxLee PrecisionWideners
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLoad DataInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 22 Rimfire lube

Boolit Man

22 Rimfire lube

So, I'm casting 255 grain 45 colt from bhn 12 for my Rossi 92. 13 grains of Bluedot. I expect about 1200 fps. A lot like a big 22 rimfire round. So if I lube with 45/45/10 is this the same as the waxy lube 22s come with?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by trebleplink View Post
    So, I'm casting 255 grain 45 colt from bhn 12 for my Rossi 92. 13 grains of Bluedot. I expect about 1200 fps. A lot like a big 22 rimfire round. So if I lube with 45/45/10 is this the same as the waxy lube 22s come with?
    Good question. As far as I know, different manufactures use different lubes on their bullets. More recently they are mostly harder and waxier substance. Through history though it has varied a great deal. I have seen them with greasy lube and hard lube almost plastic like.On another note: I had a friend who was a high level engineer for Gillette Razor company in the 90's and 00's. Back then they had a "glide strip" on their razors that, in my mind would be a perfect substance for bullet lube. Almost soap like but plastic, very very slippery stuff. I wasn't reloading back then so I didn't pursue the science of the stuff. If it weren't for powder coating now, I would be picking his brain for info on the stuff.
    Edit PS:
    I found this. I am not versed in chemistry but, again If I were in the lube game instead of powder coat, this would be a topic I would pursue.
    https://patents.google.com/patent/US20040177513A1/en
    Last edited by Traffer; 09-17-2020 at 10:40 AM.

Boolit Man
    Interesting. While browsing Google patents I found this interesting formula:

https://patents.google.com/patent/US...oq=bullet+lube

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I load .44-40 smokeless loads at similar velocity lubing with LSStuff 45-45-10 with good accuracy and no leading issues.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Moderator Emeritus

I had some vintage Federal Lightning 22LR that would no longer reliably cycle in my Ruger Mk II.
    I recall that the lube on them felt like JPW when there weren't two decades old, they now feel dry.
    So, that's what I applied to them...Now they cycle.

As to 45 colt, I know a couple members here have used JPW on some pistol boolits.
    As for a Levergun, I'd prefer to use a traditional wax based lube (filling a lube groove), but 45-45-10 might work OK, if the other common pitfalls of loading for a levergun are avoided.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Banned
    Interesting. While browsing Google patents I found this interesting formula:

https://patents.google.com/patent/US...oq=bullet+lube
    That patent is a very interesting find. Wonder if the inventor is a member here.

Boolit Master
    FWIW- someone here posted in the past that CCI is straight paraffin.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

I'm wondering how the patent office could justify even issuing that patent. It's 99% gibberish*, written by someone who doesn't even know firearms terminology all that well. I can't see anything novel in it at all, except maybe the exact proportions of the components.

*A language I speak fluently, having been a DoD Contract Administrator for a significant part of my career.
    Last edited by uscra112; 09-17-2020 at 08:23 PM.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

Perusing the archives a while back, I came across a post describing a couple bullet lube recipes that appeared in a 1943 American Rifleman magazine. One was said to be a factory lube for external lube groove/heel bullet ammunition. It is a little harder/less sticky than lubes for internal groove bullets. Its a simple recipe and I happened to have all the ingredients on hand, so I made a small batch to try out.

1 part paraffin (in my case, a cheap green candle I chopped up)
    1 part mutton tallow
    1/2 part beeswax

I've used it on my .44 Remington centerfire cartridges in an 1870s Remington #2 rifle. It works very well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lubed buulet.jpg   20200503_092139_copy_651x681.jpg  

Banner Sponsor

The Status of the patent says Abandoned
    I agree, it's almost all gibberish with a few firearms terms thrown in.
    The claims column doesn't claim anything at all, just gives very wide ranges of some ingredients that could be googled on the forum here.

Boolit Man
    "but 45-45-10 might work OK, if the other common pitfalls of loading for a levergun are avoided."

Uh ... what other common pitfalls should I be aware of?

As to 45 colt, I know a couple members here have used JPW on some pistol boolits.
    As for a Levergun, I'd prefer to use a traditional wax based lube (filling a lube groove), but 45-45-10 might work OK, if the other common pitfalls of loading for a levergun are avoided.[/QUOTE]

Moderator Emeritus

Uh ... what other common pitfalls should I be aware of?
    "my Rossi 92"

What is the groove diameter of that barrel?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”

Boolit Man
    I dunno.

Moderator Emeritus

I dunno.
    How do you know what to size the boolits too?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Boolit Master
    I lube my 45 Colt with Emmerts Improve Lube, the recipe is in the sickies lube recipes list.
    I use Emmerts Improved with black powder loads and smokeless. For smokeless loads I use CFE-Pistol and get over 1240 fps chrono’d at Hodgdon’s max charge weights in my Miroku built Win M73 24” barrel.
    I size by cast bullet to .452”.
    Emmerts is reported to be very similar to commercial SPG lube.
    Last edited by greenjoytj; 09-19-2020 at 09:30 PM.