WidenersRepackboxReloading EverythingLoad Data
RotoMetals2PBcastcoTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Shipping a long barreled rifle???

Vendor Sponsor

Shipping a long barreled rifle???

Has anyone had to mail a long barreled rifle? Like a gun that 60 inches long. Just wonder how you did it and the cost.

Thanks
    Mike

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kylongrifle32 View Post
    Has anyone had to mail a long barreled rifle? Like a gun that 60 inches long. Just wonder how you did it and the cost.

Thanks
    Mike
    I wouldnt trust em!
    for thirty bucks of plywood and pine you could make a hard box that they cant break - pull the gun down and pack it right - peace of mind has a price .
    I ship a bit of large fragile stuff around (not guns) try as you might in cardboard and foam you still are vulnerable - a wood box will stop them most times but if it takes a solid hit the evidence will be there on the box clear for anyone to see.............

I use 3/8"th ply with 1"x1" pine inside and I have a little air nail gun I bought for building the boxes and plenty of glue ---not that big of a job and worth the effort.

Boolit Grand Master

When I build a custom gun I ship it in a home made shipping crate, bolted in place. Otherwise just foam and a long box.

When I ship any long gun, I remove the stock, and wrap each section (fully padded & braced) separately in a shorter parcel...…..

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Grand Master

That wont work with a long rifle as the fore stock is as long as the barrel and needs the barrel in for support. Even when you get a stock blank there is a board taped the the stock for extra support.

If you can't take it apart, then build a custom box out of cardboard.
    If you can find a box close to the size that you need, then add an extension to it by using a lot of tape.
    Always add a lot of padding, bubble wrap, styrofoam peanuts or plastic air bags.
    If you want extra protection, then double box it by wrapping an extra layer of cardboard all around it.
    That will create extra weight, and maybe cost an extra $5 - $10.

The problem with building a wood crate is that it it gets too heavy then it costs a lot of extra money to ship it.
    Shipping depends on where it's being sent, how much it weighs and how large the package is.
    Every shipper has a calculator on their website based on all of the measurements.
    And then there's the cost of insurance, plus signature on delivery.

An extra long package will cost extra money because there can be an extra fee for being oversized.
    Not sure what the maximum length is for the US Mail.
    60 inches is getting pretty long, maybe almost too long for the US Mail.
    But if the box is too much longer then it will need to be shipped by UPS or Fedex.
    That's why most folks will take the barrel off.
    Cardboard can be used as a backing for the stock, and then extra boxing and cardboard material.
    It doesn't need to be pretty, it just needs to be secure.
    Use a roll of tape if needed and plenty of extra cardboard, like a box from a large appliance such as a refrigerator or a water heater, or piece of furniture
    Then start building a box.
    Always make the box bigger than needed to leave room for padding and to help protect against rough handling.
    The extra room can always be filled up with newspaper if needed.

A hot glue gun can help make it easier to build a custom box.
    Hot glue is faster and easier to use than tape, but tape would still help to reinforce the seams.
    Last edited by arcticap; 09-18-2020 at 01:30 AM.

Banned

I figure 100$ min when shipping a long rifle.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

Vendor Sponsor

KCSO is correct the stock is full length and leaving the barrel in would be the best support.

Thanks for the input folks.

I have a couple of rifles than haven't seen a hunt in several years. Just hate to have them sitting in the safe if someone else can enjoy them. So thinking about put them up for sale.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by arcticap View Post
    If you can't take it apart, then build a custom box out of cardboard.
    If you can find a box close to the size that you need, then add an extension to it by using a lot of tape.
    Always add a lot of padding, bubble wrap, styrofoam peanuts or plastic air bags.
    If you want extra protection, then double box it by wrapping an extra layer of cardboard all around it.
    That will create extra weight, and maybe cost an extra $5 - $10.

The problem with building a wood crate is that it it gets too heavy then it costs a lot of extra money to ship it.
    Shipping depends on where it's being sent, how much it weighs and how large the package is.
    Every shipper has a shipping calculator on their website based on all of the measurements.
    And then there's the cost of insurance, plus signature on delivery.

An extra long package will cost extra money because there can be an extra fee for being oversized.
    Not sure what the maximum length is for the US Mail.
    60 inches is getting pretty long, maybe almost too long for the US Mail.
    But if the box is too much longer then it will need to be shipped by UPS or Fedex.
    That's why most folks will take the barrel off.
    Cardboard can be used as a backing for the stock, and then extra boxing and cardboard material.
    It doesn't need to be pretty, it just needs to be secure.
    Use a roll of tape if needed and plenty of extra cardboard, like a box from a large appliance such as a refrigerator or a water heater, or piece of furniture
    Then start building a box.
    Always make the box bigger than needed to leave room for padding and to help protect against rough handling.
    The extra room can always be filled up with newspaper if needed.

A hot glue gun can help make it easier to build a box.
    Hot glue is faster and easier to use than tape, but tape would still help to reinforce the seams.
    I had forgot you guys pay exhorbitant rates for shipping stuff - last time I was over there I sent a box of fittings home to myself - first quote at the post office was near 400bucks - my host knew the lady there so we worked on it, she got it down to about 65 in the end.

I reckon I could send a boxed long rifle across australia for under 100 postage (our money)
    not talking about building it out of 2x4 lumber - just plywood with some ribbing inside 1x1 or smaller, lots of glue,

Boolit Mold
    To All,

I once shipped a KY flintlock rifle home from Ft Drum, NY to Dallas, TX in a large diameter piece of rigid plastic pipe from a "big box store".
    Before being placed in the pipe, I wrapped the rifle in construction paper, tape & then in yellow foam "under-carpet padding" scraps that I scavenged free from "behind a carpet store". - The ends of the pipe were "plugged" with circles heavy cardboard & secured with more tape.

The long/skinny parcel went via "Brown Truck" & arrived fine for about 60 bucks.
    (Not cheap but worth it to keep the long-rifle safe & sound, imo.)
    "Victory or Death"

William Barrett Travis, LtCol, comdt.
    Fortress of the Alamo, Bejar
    F'by 24, 1836

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Longer rifles are shipped all the time. I have made up boxes out of double layers of heavy corrugated cardboard - use a hot glue gun to assemble. Wrap the gun in bubble wrap and cushion with styrofoam and glue the box shut - wrap well with tape. Half stocks can be taken down and stock and barrel wrapped and cushioned well land a shorter boxy used - I have shipped them in a box that 10 fluorescent bulbs come in. If you could find a box that 8 foot bulbs come in, you could cut it down and reinforce it with an additional layer of cardboard glued on and tape well.

You seem concerned mostly about the length - 60 inches in not long. If you go to the USPS site and do a little looking, you'll find that you can ship a box up to 96 inches total united measurement. In other words - the total of the length of the box plus the girth of the box cannot exceed 96 inches (8 feet). I used to ship long lengths of custom run wood molding in the heavy cardboard rolls from rolls of carpet - plug the ends with a piece of 3/4" pine on each end. Total length and circumference just a fraction of an inch below 96 inches.

I have also shipped long, heavy octagon barrels - a piece of 1/2 or 2" PVC pipe - wrap the barrel in bubble wrap and slide it in and cut the pipe so it is an inch or so longer on each end and cushion with wad of bubblewrap, then glue a cap on each end - tape a mailing label on it and mail USPS. I sold a long and heavy 1 1/2 inch round barrel to a fellow who lived way way up in Alaska. Mailed it from Michigan and before it got delivered to him by plane, it had already taken something like 3 other pane rides. When he got it a number of weeks later, he carefully cut one of the ends off and the barrel was in perfect shape.

If you can't find a box, you can essay build one out of 3/4" pine for the sides and something like 1/4" tempered masonite - pack and cushion the rifle well - glue blocks in to keep the rifle from shifting in the box and screw the box together. It will be heavier than a cardboard box but it will be more secure than one - just remember it will be considered an "oversize" box by both the USPS and UPS so it's going to cost more to ship.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I've shipped over 150 muzzleloaders. All went double boxed, with bubble wrap and paper around the gun, bubble wrap around the inner box. Never had a problem. Depending on how far you ship in CONUS, cost used to run around $65-75 insured before I retired.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master

When I bought my flintlock I sprung for a wooden box and am glad I did. When it came there was a punch about 1/2" deep in the side piece - if that had hit the flat it would have gone through the 1/8" ply they used. It was right where it would have hit the weakest part of the stock/barrel assembly.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

I have shipped a few. Built wood crates for each one. Never charged enough for it either. Not sure I would go thru the hassle today to be honest with lumber prices what they are. I have found cardboard boxes online that you can purchase to ship guns with that may be the most economical solution.

Boolit Master
    Ship in any sturdy container and insure it. Have the invoice for the sale of the item, like a paypal invoice, so you can prove the value if needed.

No matter what you do there is always to possibility of damage or loss. USPS used to be the best for package handling. Not sure of that anymore.

Get straight ahead of time with your customers what to do if the box is damaged when they receive it. At the minimum take pictures before opening. When I dealt with USPS I just needed pictures from the customer of the unopened box and then a picture of the damage to the product. The problems come when there is some damage but the item is still functional. Check with the carrier as to how they handle that kind of claim.

Boolit Master
    I shipped a pair of Sharps BPCRs several years ago. Both were in a manufacturers hard case and were strapped inside with the above mentioned foam blocks, then I covered the hard cases with double layers of cardboard with a layer of plastic in between those layers. I used UPS ground and shipped by ground with no damage happening. A third box had loose cast bullets, a couple hundred loaded rounds, several hundred empty cases, set of dies including the powder compressor die and the mold for casting the lead bullets. Each of these items was boxed with enough foam so there was no noise and the outer pair of boxes were labeled as milling machine parts as it was heavy. The buyer was in Tennessee and all three boxes arrived without a scratch. I had the receiver's FFL paperwork inside the rifle cases and showed a copy to the lady at the main UPS center and she really seemed to not care. The other people in line with me sure got excited when I said I was shipping GUNS, I live in CA remember.

The "kits" I have gotten from Pecatonica River have had the barrel (up to 42 inch), stock and an extra slab of wood all taped together so they are strong. One "Chunk Gun" I got from way up North (Mazo Kid, thanks) was disassembled completely so no issues there, thank God for that as it is a Web Terry rifle!
    John

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ex-cadet View Post
    To All,

I once shipped a KY flintlock rifle home from Ft Drum, NY to Dallas, TX in a large diameter piece of rigid plastic pipe from a "big box store".
    Before being placed in the pipe, I wrapped the rifle in construction paper, tape & then in yellow foam "under-carpet padding" scraps that I scavenged free from "behind a carpet store". - The ends of the pipe were "plugged" with circles heavy cardboard & secured with more tape.

The long/skinny parcel went via "Brown Truck" & arrived fine for about 60 bucks.
    (Not cheap but worth it to keep the long-rifle safe & sound, imo.)
    I like the way you think.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Banned

I don't trust cardboard, I build a simple wooden crate.

Boolit Master
    That sure is a pretty box stuffer