MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline FabricationLoad Data
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Titan Reloading

Thread: Lubing duration

Boolit Buddy

Lubing duration

How long will lubed bullets last after you size them and lube them without making up the round? Will they loose their effectiveness after a while? I just did not want to size and lube hundreds of cast bullets, and have to re do them if I am not ready to use them. Thing is you heat the sizer/luber and wait a 1/2 hour for it to get up to temp you want to make the most use of your time. So if ya made up a bunch how long would they stay good ?

Steve

Depends on the loob most will last almost forever on the other hand crisco will only last a couple months add a little bw to it and it will last quite a while.
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

Moderator Emeritus

What amount of time are you concerned with?
    Months?
    years?
    Decades?

There are two things to consider.

First one, if you are using a Alloy with a High Antimony content (like 92-6-2), is that Boolits will grow (in diameter) with age. You can see as much as .0005 in 6 months, and maybe another .001 in a couple years. There probably will not be much more growth after 2 years.

Second is Lube dryout. I've seen cheap mass-marketed Commercial cast bullets with cheap hard Commercial lube that are about a decade old, and the lube is cracked and falling out of the grooves, that may happen sooner than a decade? ...there is probably no beeswax in most Commercial Lubes. While I don't have any home cast boolits with a good beeswax based lube, that are a decade old to prove my thoughts, I do know Beeswax holds oils better and longer then paraffin waxes. I have some Lube Sticks that are beeswax based that are about 40 years old, and they have not shown any sign of drying out. I believe a sized and lubed bullet (with a beeswax based lube) will still be "loadable" and shootable five decades later.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy
    Well like a few years. That is all. I was using that Orange Magic stuff from Lyman. I just switched to the Carnauba Red. Although it has not worked it's way through the luber/sizer yet. I tried to get as much of the old stuff out so there could not be too much Lyman stuff left in the bottom.

Steve

Boolit Grand Master

I haven't researched the metallurgy and aspects of time vs size in quite a while, but I have cast, then waited, one month, one week up to 2 years before sizing and lubing. And I have some bullets I cast and lubed in 2012 (I put them in small boxes, stacked and not loose). Early on in my casting I considered (worried) about time of casting before sizing, and what I found for my use, no added difficulty in processing or poor performance was found if my cast bullets were 4 hours old or 4 months old before processing. I'm sure there are those that take all this into consideration, and that's great. I have gotten a bit less anal about such things and my cast bullet handloads work just as well as they did when I first got clean shooting cast handloads, a few thousand casts ago.. .
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Years would be fine. Decades maybe if not stored in adverse conditions with lube exposed to open air. I lube and store mine 2 ways, first if they are tumble lubed or lubed with something like BAC or carnauba red, loose in a small Tupperware. If they are lubed with something messy like 50/50, I generally store them individually in the insert that comes in a cartridge box.

I'm probably going to take to drilling wooden blocks to make some to fit 30 caliber rifle bullets as I don't have any inserts to fit this acceptably.

Boolit Master
    ive got bullets cast of wheel weights and a bit of tin lube sized with carnauba red that have been in old Speer plastic bullet boxes for almost a decade and when I want to load some they are every bit as good as the day they were lube sized. in fact I just loaded some of these last week and they all shot perfect

Another good case for powder coating.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Grand Master
    I bought some cast 32-40 rifle bullets at a gun show once. They were in an old flat tobacco tin and lubed with what I assume was the old black Ideal lube, probably at least 30-40 years previously (somebody’s grandfather) but worked perfectly well in my 32-40 high wall. I’d guess today’s high carnauba content lubes would be good for 30 years or more. Formulae containing beef tallow, Crisco, peanut oil, etc... not so long.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master

I generally keep them for YEARS. I tend to do things in batches/stages, so I always have ready supplies. I cast boolits that sit in coffee cans for years before I lubesize them. When they do get lubesized, they get packed in boxes where they often sit for years before they're loaded into cartridges. Never had a problem.

Boolit Master

I actually just finished shooting up about 600 .45 ACP LSWCs that a friend gave me out of his moms estate. They were cast and lubesized by his late stepfather back in the 60s or 70s. Loaded and shot fine