Titan ReloadingRepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyWidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HELP! Need Quickload for .38spl 158gr 6gr Herco.

Boolit Master

15-3 S&W and LCRX .38spl +P right on the side of the barrel. If in doubt I fire the first 5 for effect from a SP101 3". If they act normal in the trial I then try them through the .38s. Hornady #II shows 6.1gr Unique under 158gr lead and 5.9gr under 158gr JHP. Speer #11 shows 5.5gr Unique and 6.0gr Herco under 158gr JHP.
    I don't know about quick load but it looks like in the attachment that we are looking at 18.5K for these loads. If that is true I do not see a problem.........
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rking22 View Post
    Just an academic question, but this seems to be in the realm of the 38-44 Loads for the pre357 N frame smiths. Is that an accurate assumption?
    Yes, it is close to factory .38-44 which Colt and S&W said could be fired in the K-frame and the Police Positive. This ammo was loaded to from 1060fps to about 1100fps that was from a closed breech test barrel of probably 6" to 7.5" in length. Keith and others later loaded it to much higher velocities and the .357 Magnum was born.......
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Master
    What are you planning to shoot this load in? Is it a steel-frame .357? You'd be safe to do that.
    DO NOT shoot it in any older, worn, nor aluminum frame .38s. In fact, keep it out of .38s, completely.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kosh75287 View Post
    What are you planning to shoot this load in? Is it a steel-frame .357? You'd be safe to do that.
    DO NOT shoot it in any older, worn, nor aluminum frame .38s. In fact, keep it out of .38s, completely.
    I have used 20rnds each of 5.4, 5.6, 5.8 and 6gr in my 15-3 S&W and an LCRX in .38+P caliber. Strong but not brutal. Primers round and normal and easy extraction with a touch of thumb pressure. I didn't put a really firm crimp on these and lube and carbon formed a gooey residue on the case mouth which I'm trying to clean up.
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Grand Master
    As mentioned elsewhere, anything in excess of 5.5 grains is likely getting in the +P+ territory.

Boolit Grand Master
    I would be hesitant to fire +P+ in an aluminum frame LCRx....or any gun with an upper limit of +P. There is a reason 357s have steel frames and extra heat treating. There is also a reason that the manuals that come with the guns state not to use +P+ and I know of no manufacturer that advises their guns are safe to use it.

+P+ 38 has always carried the warning to shoot only in 357s.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
    I would be hesitant to fire +P+ in an aluminum frame LCRx....or any gun with an upper limit of +P. There is a reason 357s have steel frames and extra heat treating. There is also a reason that the manuals that come with the guns state not to use +P+ and I know of no manufacturer that advises their guns are safe to use it.

+P+ 38 has always carried the warning to shoot only in 357s.
    Huh, I have never bought any +P+ (1) because I like mild loads, and (2) because I reload anyhow. But I did not know about the above warning. Interesting.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Grand Master
    https://revolverguy.com/ammo-evoluti...treasury-load/

Agency experience with +P+

Bottom line is it was hot stuff, and a bad idea to shoot in 38 revolvers common with the period. I would shoot +P+ in a steel framed Ruger product. Aluminum frames and +P rated Smith 38 frames....no.

If you want to take my previous comment as actually meaning you are ill advised using +P+ in a +P rated 38 revolver, and best advised to shoot them only in 357 revolvers, that is how to view it. The ammo did not say “for 357 revolvers only” on the box or anything like that.

So take that as the advice it is rather than looking for a warning printed somewhere.
    Last edited by 35remington; 09-28-2020 at 06:11 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 1006 View Post
    Attachment 268151

From some Alliant Factory 38special +P data.

Herco
    4.7 max
    965fps/5.6 inch barrel
    17,300 psi
    I wonder how many grains it would take to get 19,500 psi.
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12