MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingPBcastco
Load DataLee PrecisionWidenersRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can lube cause squibs?

Boolit Master
    I wouldn't have thought the amount of air in the case could cause enough moisture condensation to matter, especially as I thought that rounds are mostly air and moisture tight?

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    If using a progressive reloader, that would be my prime suspect.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by fn1889m View Post
    I am loading Unique in .44 and .45; 231 in .38. I have modified my process so I fill 5 cases at a time, inspect 5 cases for powder level, and then seat 5 cases. Even made a little sign with the sequence and put it next to my block. Using a turret press. Previously I was charging and seating one bullet at a time. There is the possibility that I skipped a step due to defective repetitive motion habits.

I admit that I probably use too much lube. Or seated the bullet before it was dry. Not defending myself. It made me re-examine my process of both lube and charging. I do use a 55 and then weigh each charge on an electronic scale. Am OCD about powder weights. The “charge 5 - compare - seat 5” should have eliminated omitting the charge.
    I think you just answered your own question. Unique is the only powder that has bound up in every powder measure I have except the Belding and Mull. I only use the B&M when I'm using Unique.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    Experienced the same and I think it's from moisture condensing inside a case loaded on a hot day and fired later on on a cooler day.
    It wouldn't take a lot of condensation to make a pasty mess of a powder charge.
    Just a wag.
    Factories that load ammo have to keep a temperature and humidity controlled environment to both eliminate moisture as well as avoiding static electricity from extremely dry air.
    Can we say the same?
    Last edited by Alferd Packer; 10-03-2020 at 02:09 AM.

Boolit Bub
    I've been loading since 1965, and I've never even HEARD of condensation in a case causing squibs, and I live in Texas, where humid is just a normal day. And, I've never used loading blocks. That is OLD tech, and not needed. I use a single stage press, size, then expand case mouth and prime. The last step I drop powder charge, LOOK INTO CASE FOR POWDER LEVEL, then seat bullet. Only time I've had squibs was when I had a short in my brain and forgot to put powder in the case.

Quote Originally Posted by mehavey View Post
    Highly unlikely ALOX/Wax combo you mentioned caused powder contamination. (highly)
    But if you're worried, throw the tumble-lubed bullets onto a pizza pan and place in oven for 20-min at 225° before bed and leave there overnite as things cool.

Once properly applied/dried, ALOX ain't goin' nowhere.

postscript: You need only the thinnest of films w/ ALOX. Try just "greasing" thumb/forefinger with pure LLA, lightly twirl bullet between them as you pick it up/place on pie pan. No need to have much (if anything) in lube grooves at all. Thin..... Properly applied/dried, ALOX is the oldest/most effective/cleanest/trouble-free of cat's meow lubes.
    I use the latest version of BLL which is mineral spirits, floor wax and alox blended. But you put like 2-3 drops in a tub with 2-300 boolits. They don't have to be wet, they just need to stink of it.

Funny thing - apparenly my grandpa was using this formula or something similar. I remember going down in their basement and exploring. I remember he had a single stage press and a shotgun press. I also remember the smell. It's the same smell as BLL - which is a little different than just plain Alox.
    WWG1WGA

Other story:

I had a squib a while back. When I load pistol ammo, I use a RCBS chargemaster lite. It is really handy. While you are resizing/priming, it is measuring. Well, one day I made 50 boolits and the chargemaster said it made 49. I thought (of course) it must have not registered one. I've been loading these things and I saw the powder in each and every one...

I also put a "Possible SQUIB" on the box. This was a box of 40 S&W I generally shoot in a glock.

I shot that box at the range and sure enough about 5 rounds in, unstead of a pow, I get a tink. The gun didn't cycle and I knew. Ooops, I missed one. Drop mag, cycle... Yup.

For pistols, I have a little brass rod so I was able to hammer that guy back out and continue but sure enough - no powder will pretty much squib every time.
    WWG1WGA

Banned

i was having squibs one very hot day with some 105 lees that were tumble lubed in my 38. took them home and pulled some and found some with a ball of powder stuck to the bottom of the bullets. I dont use tumble lube much anymore and when i do i just use it for ammo im going to shoot in the next day or two. Id never rely on it for self defense or hunting loads. Im sure it could happen with any lube you got on the base of a bullet.

Boolit Master
    My loading procedure on a turrent press is to size and prime all cases, flare and powder all cases, then inspect the powder level in all cases while in loading tray, add bullet seat and crimp. Last year while at a silhouette match, I had a pop-bang. Being that I was concentrating on my sights and target,it caught me a little off guard. Opening the cylinder on my Ruger Security Six, all looked ok and I could see light at the forcing cone indicating no barrel restriction. Several shots later I had more pop-bangs, I stopped shooting that match altogether . All seemed good when I pulled the loads down. What I concluded was insufficient crimp because after reloading with the same powder charge and bullet and increasing the crimp, I have had no problems since. Why the crimp changed I don't know. Maybe case length differences from previous 357 cases.
    I'm the King of my castle---anytime my wife's not around
    Life NRA member

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
    Thomas Jefferson

LIFE, LIBERTY, AND THE PURSIUT OF THOSE WHO TREATEN US

Knock, knock, knock(on wood)...in 45 years not a single squib from a reload. Had a few dud 22s...but never from my reloads.

My reloading methods work...and I'm not changing any processes now.

I just jinx'd it....didn't I?

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12