Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2WidenersInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: Ruger 22/45 and Winchester Xpert ammo

Boolit Man

Ruger 22/45 and Winchester Xpert ammo

These little Ruger .22 autos have a pretty good reputation as reliable guns. Mine was--until I tried some WW Xpert .22 LR.

When I would shoot it, it would click on the next round. When I pulled the bolt to cycle it, it would eject a fired case and chamber a fresh round. Then another 'bang' 'click.' Same thing. A fired case was still in the chamber.

It didn't do this 100 percent of the time. Maybe five or six out of a magazine full.

I got to the point that I was watching for an ejected case in my peripheral vision. If I saw one, I knew I could fire again. If I didn't, I had to shuck the bolt again.

I'm guessing that the bolt only went back far enough to partially cock the hammer but not far enough to hit the ejector to eject the empty or strip a fresh round out of the magazine.

Xpert was the only ammo that caused the gun to do this. Xpert worked perfectly in my other .22 semi autos. My solution was to just not use WW Xpert in the Ruger. Never did figure out for sure what caused this.

Anybody else ever seen this happen?

I have a similar issue with certain types of ammo in my S&W 22A.
    Keeping the slide well lubed helps. It isn't a cure for poor ammunition though.

Boolit Master
    Have three Ruger 22 semi autos. Mark II, 22/45 Lite and the LCP II. Winchester Wildcats and Xpert will have numerous FTF and FTE in both the 22/45 an the LCP. Trouble free in the older Mark II.

The little LCP II balks at most promotional ammunition. The only brand that gives near 100% reliability is CCI Blazer. Mini-Mags, Stinger and Velociator is its preferred fodder. Seems to function better with the hotter/premium loads.

Winelover

My mk4 has cycled everything i have fed it so far are those subsonic perhaps
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

Pair of Mk III 22/45's here and I will only feed them Federal Champion Auto Match.

They love it, great dependability, great accuracy. In a pinch I'd use regular Federal or perhaps CCI. Nothing else.

Every time I'd tried using cheaper ammo I ended up having to clean the gun, mags it was in. (They'd get sticky about moving a round up)

So I just got fussy, stick with what works.

Now my Ruger 10/22 prefers CCI Mini mags. "Just choot em" Landry on the box.

I have some old Win Super X which is ok, and a few boxes of Armscor but mostly I'll pay a penny or 2 more for what my guns actually like.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Man
    Xpert was the only ammo my gun didn't like and it worked fine in every other .22 auto I had. When I say "only" ammo it didn't like, of course I haven't tried "all" .22 ammo in it. Budget ammo is about all I ever buy since Winchester Wildcats came out around 1970. The few times I erroneously thought I was buying better ammo, I wasn't. Remington target ammo had four misfires out of 50 in a CZ452.

Boolit Master

I have an 22/45 Mark II and I have feed it Win. XPert and Win. Super X 40 grain lead, Federal champion, CCI 40 grain copper plated and they have all feed and ejected just fine. I have fired over 1500 rounds through this pistol over the years and I only can only remember one fail to fire and that was in the first 50 rounds. I blame myself for that fail to fire as I had only given the pistol a quickie cleaning before jumping out behind the house to try it out. No trouble since. Maybe I just got a good one but I am happy with it. Keep a 22/45 .22lr pistol well cleaned and well oiled and it will run just fine. It is not as accurate as my Ruger Government model I was, or the S&W 41, or the Browning Buckmark Plus but it is close and fun to shoot. my experience anyway, james