MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load Data
WidenersInline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading Everything
PBcastco Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger Chambers

Boolit Master

Ruger Chambers

I have two Ruger MKII .22 semiauto pistols. Neither will extract an unfired round. I think it is the chambers. The bullets are tight into the throat. It is a pain with all this low quality ammo I bought last shortage. Anyone know the truth about Ruger chambers, are they some sort of target chamber.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

The extractor and the ammo quality are usually the problem. I sent my Mark II Competition Slab side back to Ruger. They tightened the receiver to grip frame fit, and it helped. But, I still had to run CCI Mini Mags for 100% reliability.

Boolit Master

I have ruger mark 2 pistols , have had to replace extractors on a few , and some other small parts on one I bought used , it had been fired with a steady diet of short or longs and also had a lead ring in chamber , never had any issues with bulk ammo , it has been a few years since I did the repairs , cost as much for shipping as parts at the time .

Never noticed any special chamber in them , they ran better then some other 22 semi autos I have had .

Boolit Master
    I have a mark II era target 22/45 and after disassembling and cleaning thoroughly it runs much smoother with just about any plated 22 lr ammo.
    if its still not extracting this will probably fix it

https://volquartsen.com/inventory_configurations/753

being a mark II its been around a while did it ever work well?
    I know that there's ammo I will never attempt to use in a semi auto 22, like the sticky gunky norma tac 22 stuff

Boolit Master
    I’d try a new extractor. The stainless govt target model I bought new around 2000 has never failed to extract an unfired round, same with a 10” KMKII I also have.
    8500' Wet Mountain Valley, Colorado

Boolit Master
    It might be the extractors but it is both guns. They run fine when the ammo goes bang, if no bang I have to get a knife to pry the round out of the chamber. Maybe I need a chamber brush and hit it once in a while. Maybe I will clean it and see what happens when it has not been shot. Never tried it on a freshly cleaned gun.

Tim

Boolit Master

Clean the spot where the extractor goes in , it builds up gunk in there , I keep mine clean even though they have never been as finicky as some makes of semi auto 22 pistols are .

Ever read the manual? In there it addresses the issue. It says paraphrase, "our pistols won't extract a live round. Rack the bolt vigorously and it'll eventually come out." I had a mark II 22/45 about 2004. It run great, but wouldn't extract. At the time I didn't try to fix it. I didn't like that feature though.

I've got an older MK II, never had a problem with extraction. I put in a Volquartsen extractor just because I had the gun apart for some other upgades.

I shoot it in a local fun shoot, two shooters have 13 falling plates to knock down, you usually have a round in the chamber when you get the last plate. It always ejects.

There are a number of other MK II shooters, never heard one of them complain of failure to eject a live round and we've got guys shooting every from CCI SV to cheap bulk stuff. I currently shooting Federal 550 round bulk packed plated HP's.

I would suspect dirty chamber being the biggest issue.

Boolit Master
    I have 3 MKI T Rugers. Two I haven't shot a lot but the the one I have had since about 1970 has probably had 15,000 or more rounds shot by me and a lot before that by the first owner. It has never failed to function other than a bad round and two broken firing pins. They always manually eject loaded rounds and I don't remember ever having a fail to feed. The second firing pin I installed I smoothed up the right angle corner between the thin and fat part of the pin and it has been good for the last 35/40 years. I have shot most of the popular bulk ammo and they shoot most fairly well. Rem std vel is one of the better for accuracy but seemed to have more fail to fire than some others. The most accurate ammo I have used in them is Win MarkIII. I have never tried any of the expensive real target ammo like Eley match as I'm just too cheap to pay the price for it. CCI Blazer shoots quite well for low price ammo.
    I also would recommend cleaning the slot the extractor fits in as crud packed in there can prevent the extractor from getting a good grip on the case.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    My American bolt action 22WMR will stick one in the chamber and not extract after 50 rounds or so because of the powder fouling build up. I have to clean it quite regularly to be 100% reliable. Its extremely accurate but has a tight chamber. I normally take a cotton jag and apply some mother polish on it and slowly spin it with my drill in the chamber for a few seconds and then clean out all the polish and lightly oil. Feeds and extracts perfectly for another 50 rounds or more till it gets dirty with powder fouling again. My Browning buckmark 22lr pistol I can fire 1000’s of rounds through it with not sticking a one.

Vendor Sponsor

I happen to know someone with a 22 caliber throating reamer, just saying
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    I happen to know someone with a 22 caliber throating reamer, just saying
    I do not want to change the throat on the chamber. Being unable to extract an unfired round is a small price to pay for the improved accuracy of a target chamber. Nobody has yet answered my question. What type of .22 LR chamber does Ruger cut in their MKII target pistols? Do all the MKII's have the same chamber or do the Target and Hunter pistols have a tighter chamber? Does it vary by year?

The title of the post was Ruger Chambers, not failure to extract?

Tim

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    Ever read the manual? In there it addresses the issue. It says paraphrase, "our pistols won't extract a live round. Rack the bolt vigorously and it'll eventually come out." I had a mark II 22/45 about 2004. It run great, but wouldn't extract. At the time I didn't try to fix it. I didn't like that feature though.
    Sounds right, bet Doug could fix it for him!
    Charter Member #148

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    I do not want to change the throat on the chamber. Being unable to extract an unfired round is a small price to pay for the improved accuracy of a target chamber. Nobody has yet answered my question. What type of .22 LR chamber does Ruger cut in their MKII target pistols? Do all the MKII's have the same chamber or do the Target and Hunter pistols have a tighter chamber? Does it vary by year?

The title of the post was Ruger Chambers, not failure to extract?

Tim
    If you were to take the barrels out and post some pics of the chambers looking into the throat, maybe others could have something more to go on.

Now.. Not to start a conflict or any arguments, not picking sides or cutting anyone's pistols down, let me offer the following as discussion...

I am willing to bet there is little or no freebore in there, other than maybe the tapered leade ins to the rifling. For one, if it is a selling point calling something a "target chamber" then what designates a chamber as a "target" chamber as opposed to a "standard" chamber? IF and that's a big IF they (Ruger) consider cramming the soft lead boolit into the rifling running right down to the chamber mouth before the round is fired more accurate than having freebore that centers and aligns the boolit before the rifling, and this is what designates it as a target chamber, then I am calling them out on this one.

I can near bouts promise you that freebore, which is closely supporting the boolit while the chamber supports the brass, will be MUCH more accurate than the rapidly moving bolt cramming the boolit into the rifling at whatever random center it happens to be on when it collides with the rifling.

Honestly, if Ruger can skip throating the barrels and get away with calling it a "target chamber" then they have turned a chickenscratch shortcut into a marketing term which gets them out of throating the barrels. WHO in the industry, in the shooting sports, in the agencies which sanction the matches, or SAAMI for that matter, is authorized to describe a "target chamber?" and specify it's dimensions on paper?

1911 makers claim "match grade barrel" which means "you will need to have the barrel throated if you intend to handload anything other than 230gr hardball for this gun" a feeble attempt to pass off a non-SAAMI spec'd barrel as something desirable and therefore worth paying more money for.
    Last edited by DougGuy; 09-18-2020 at 01:58 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

As usual Doug, good post and dead on from my perspective. james

Boolit Master
    I have no idea how chamber is cut or to what specs but my experience with a markII with the tapered barrel and with same era ss target model 22-45 the target model with heavy barrel is much more accurate, I had a hard time shooting rabbits at 40 yards with the tapered barrel one before my eyes went south hitting rabbits with the target gun at 60 yards and beyond not a problem. have no idea if it was the sights on the guns or the way the chambers and bore are cut.

Boolit Master

Ruger has never claimed they were match chambers in any owners manual I have read , have owned a mark 2 since mid 80's have owned bull barrels tapered barrels and different lengths , have shot mk1 also , never had a issue with any ammo I have bought from match to cheap bulk , never had any issues with extraction except on one needing a extractor , have never had a failure to eject a unfired round either , have owned browning buckmarks and they needed more cleaning then any rugers I owned .

To quote the manual and to set something straight "But,when the bolt is operated by hand, there can be a failure to extract the cartridge from the chamber, or a failure to eject the cartridge clear of the pistol. These failures usually are the result of the bolt not being pulled rearward vigorously, coupled with an accumulation of bullet lubricant in the chamber. "

So I believe ruger gives a pretty clear operating procedure , as to ammunition it states it is chambered only for 22 long rifle manufactured to U.S. standards and standard or high velocity and it also mentions cleaning chamber and extractor , most of this is page 14 in my instruction manual .

Never had a need to throat a mark 2 barrel your mileage may vary , also have not had any extra work done on any of my rugers , pistols or rifles , not saying some firearms may not benefit from extra work but has not been anything as reloader and caster that I have needed and hope to never need .

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    If you were to take the barrels out and post some pics of the chambers looking into the throat, maybe others could have something more to go on.

Now.. Not to start a conflict or any arguments, not picking sides or cutting anyone's pistols down, let me offer the following as discussion...

I am willing to bet there is little or no freebore in there, other than maybe the tapered leade ins to the rifling. For one, if it is a selling point calling something a "target chamber" then what designates a chamber as a "target" chamber as opposed to a "standard" chamber? IF and that's a big IF they (Ruger) consider cramming the soft lead boolit into the rifling running right down to the chamber mouth before the round is fired more accurate than having freebore that centers and aligns the boolit before the rifling, and this is what designates it as a target chamber, then I am calling them out on this one.

I can near bouts promise you that freebore, which is closely supporting the boolit while the chamber supports the brass, will be MUCH more accurate than the rapidly moving bolt cramming the boolit into the rifling at whatever random center it happens to be on when it collides with the rifling.

Honestly, if Ruger can skip throating the barrels and get away with calling it a "target chamber" then they have turned a chickenscratch shortcut into a marketing term which gets them out of throating the barrels. WHO in the industry, in the shooting sports, in the agencies which sanction the matches, or SAAMI for that matter, is authorized to describe a "target chamber?" and specify it's dimensions on paper?

1911 makers claim "match grade barrel" which means "you will need to have the barrel throated if you intend to handload anything other than 230gr hardball for this gun" a feeble attempt to pass off a non-SAAMI spec'd barrel as something desirable and therefore worth paying more money for.
    I can't argue the value of a "match chamber" I was just asking if anyone knew what Ruger uses for chambers on their match guns.

I found this:

https://4drentals.com/22-long-rifle-...es-dimensions/

For those of you who love the 22 LR, you know there is a wide variety of ammo and chamberings for this cartridge. Below is a chart of the various chamber dimensions that are popular. Yes, there are more than this, but this covers most of what people ask for.

22 Bentz is commonly used as the match chamber for semi-autos and serves that purpose quite well.

Normally they all use the same headspace gauges. I know that some guys like to use a match gauge that is a couple of thousandths tight, you should only do this if the match ammo you use runs tight on headspace too. This is an easy thing to check, just measure rim thickness.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	22 chambers.png 
Views:	19 
Size:	92.3 KB 
ID:	267968

Tim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 22 chambers.jpg  

Boolit Master
    Shooting from a bench rest my Ruger MKII Hunter with a 10 barrel shoots smaller groups than my Ruger 10/22 rifle. Neither shoots as small groups as my Anschutz Exemplar or my Savage Anschutz Mark 10 both of which have Anschutz Match Chambers.

I am not saying it is the chambers that make them more accurate. It is probably a lot of things. Both Rugers have Volquartsen triggers.

Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast