RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad DataTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners

Thread: C&R License??

Boolit Master

C&R License??

I let my C&R license expire a couple years ago and would like to
    renew it. I can't find any info on the batf site for any applications.
    You used to be able to print them out, and then fill it out, and
    mail it in. Somebody told me you have to call to get them to send
    you the form. Any help would be great. Thyanks,
    Denny

Boolit Buddy
    https://www.atf.gov/file/61506/download

I think this is what you are looking for. best $30 you can spend for three years of discounts from some of the suppliers not to mention the ever shrinking supply of cool firearms from the good old days.

Boolit Master

Tonto... Thanks for the reply. Do I just print it out or can I fill it out
    and just e-mail it to the BATF?
    Denny

Boolit Buddy
    good question, I'd suggest printing and filling it out or if you can fill-in on your computer then print, even better. One requirement is a copy needs to be sent to your local law enforcement office, County Sheriff or Chief of Police depending on where you live and how LE is organized.....read the instructions and pay attention as for a C&R I don't think you need to fill out certain sections...... a polite cover letter to your local law enforcement official is helpful and appreciated, I throw in my business card too. Good luck, pay by check and you wil see when it clears you can then expect the license. When you get it renew it when it's due so you don't miss a beat.

Moderator Emeritus

Maybe it is just me but having a list of what firearms I own that technically is a registry bothers me. I have read that they can come unannounced and want to check your inventory to the book. Guess what I am saying is to me it is not worth the few dollars of savings vs my privacy. Am I missing something?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by MrWolf View Post
    Maybe it is just me but having a list of what firearms I own that technically is a registry bothers me. I have read that they can come unannounced and want to check your inventory to the book. Guess what I am saying is to me it is not worth the few dollars of savings vs my privacy. Am I missing something?
    I had my C&R for a long time and never had an inspection, nor do I know anyone else who has, either.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by downzero View Post
    I had my C&R for a long time and never had an inspection, nor do I know anyone else who has, either.
    +1

I've had mine for many years and have probably acquired fewer guns than many licensee's but the convenience is well worth it. At my age I doubt that I will renew when it expires. That may(or may not) trigger an inspection. I'm not sure why they would bother to worry about a few old military rifles.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master

Does a C&R License only allow the holder to dabble in old Military weapons, or is it ALL old weapons?

Boolit Master

Any weapon that isn't Title 2 or dangerous ordinance that is 50 years old or older. BATF has the list available for download I believe. The list is not complete in my experience. Some dealers won't even bother to recognize a C&R licence. Playing it safe I suppose. If you want to really give you C&R licence a workout, visit Simpson Ltd web sight.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Michel View Post
    Any weapon that isn't Title 2 or dangerous ordinance that is 50 years old or older. BATF has the list available for download I believe. The list is not complete in my experience. Some dealers won't even bother to recognize a C&R licence. Playing it safe I suppose. If you want to really give you C&R licence a workout, visit Simpson Ltd web sight.
    WRONG! NFA over 50 years old is fine. I got a Winchester M2 Carbine shipped to my front door with my C&R FFL it was an amnesty reg from Vietnam.

Do not believe they will not come to your house for an inspection. My partner in our 07 FFL got one. He collected Colt arms all mostly SAA. Inspector showed up in his second renewal and did an inception. He was looking for guns sold in our 07 license.

Two days latter he was done with many questions about the 07 license. I got to deal with him and called the inspector I had as our 07 inspector. Seems some unidentified jealous dealer had reported my partner for dealing in modern arms. At the time the 07 had a Special Occupation tax paid.

It went away quickly. But do not say they will not show at your house please.

I dropped my C&R after this at it's next renewal. By the way when you drop the C&R you KEEP the record books you have not send them in as in an 01 or 07 dealer or manufactures license.

Boolit Master

Only partially wrong it appears

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/curios-relics
    Please note that firearms regulated under the National Firearms Act (NFA) may be classified as C&R items, but still may be subject to the provisions of the NFA. If your C&R item is an NFA firearm (e.g., Winchester Trappers) and you desire removal from the NFA status, you must submit it to FATD for evaluation and a formal classification.

FATD/FTISB
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Master
    I've had one for five or so years. From what I understand, and believe, they can request to see your bound book, but not the firearms listed. You do not have to let them into your house. And, if a gun is on the C&R list, it could be disqualified if it's been altered from its original condition.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by alamogunr View Post
    +1

I've had mine for many years and have probably acquired fewer guns than many licensee's but the convenience is well worth it. At my age I doubt that I will renew when it expires. That may(or may not) trigger an inspection. I'm not sure why they would bother to worry about a few old military rifles.
    There's nothing to inspect if your license expires. I let mine lapse as I wasn't using it.

Boolit Master
    I'm pretty sure that when they check your book and records, they're looking to see if you're doing alot of buy and selling. Those are the people that run into problems.

Boolit Buddy
    Yeah, loosen up those tinfoil hats and spend $30 for three years of gun fun and discounts. The jealous gun dealer example isn't the license's fault, it's the idiot who lied about what was happening and they should be sued. If you are buying and selling a lot then you are not a collector, you are dealer, just like the guys buying and selling in the aisles at gun shows, selling guns to folks they don't know a thing about. Common sense should prevail but that is not how things work these days.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Michel View Post
    Only partially wrong it appears

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/curios-relics
    Please note that firearms regulated under the National Firearms Act (NFA) may be classified as C&R items, but still may be subject to the provisions of the NFA. If your C&R item is an NFA firearm (e.g., Winchester Trappers) and you desire removal from the NFA status, you must submit it to FATD for evaluation and a formal classification.

FATD/FTISB
    My M2 followed all NFA laws as it shipped direct to me on my 03 C&R when the tax paid transfer was approved. It was a C&R rifle/MG that was transferred TAX paid to me. It remains in the NFA registry subject to all rules.