RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersTitan ReloadingLoad DataLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication

Thread: Propane burner fuel consumption?!?

Boolit Bub

Propane burner fuel consumption?!?

I have been hoarding wheel weight lead for years for a moment like this. (Can’t buy bullets)
    I have in the past just used my lee pot for making ingots. Today I bought a new propane bottle and fired up my reinforced turkey fryer stand with a harbor freight Dutch oven. Since this was my first try.....and I could only find 1 ingot mold......I just made 30 ingots. I started cold, filled the Dutch oven with clip on weights and melted it down, and I left a good bit in the pot for now. I checked the propane bottle and it seems like is half empty! Does it really take that much propane? I ran it at about 80 percent of full blast until I turned molten and then turned it down to about half while I was cleaning the clips and pouring. At that rate I’m going to use a bottle of propane per 100 lbs of ingots at best?!?!?
    I know I never let it get crazy hot since my clips still had some lead on them, and the side of the pot would gather some lead fairly quick. I am thinking small batches in my lee pot are going to be way cheaper than using a turkey fryer unless I need a new burner or something? Can anyone give me an idea of how much lead you can ingot out using propane? I do this to save money.......and given the time it takes I should just sell lead and buy stuff. I did use the lid until I started working the lead.

Put a shield around the base and you'll use less fuel, and don't run it any hotter than ya really need to.

It sounds like a lot of your heat is going out & around the pot instead of straight up and into it.

If you stir and rake the clips around more, the lead will fall off sooner, and they don't have to be quite as hot.
    That, and pick your speed up a bit.
    Melt it, skim, and pour, it isn't like stew that has to cook & simmer awhile..
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 09-16-2020 at 03:37 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    If you bought a bottle of propane at a Wal-Mart or a gas station that has them stored in a wire cage they only have 15 lbs. when the capacity is 20. You should go to a place that refills your tank. The stores that trade your tank for a full one get ones in exchange for empties and don't get full ones(20 lbs) because of insurance. I'm guessing that your tank was only 3/4 full to begin with, that's why it feels half full.

Boolit Grand Master
    Also buy or make some more ingot molds. I use homemade angle iron molds and just guessing but I think I could match your 30 pound production in one or at most two ingot fills.

Old muffin tins work, not as well as angle iron in my opinion, but they do work. Just don't try to use them for food after putting lead in them.

Robert

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by 762sultan View Post
    If you bought a bottle of propane at a Wal-Mart or a gas station that has them stored in a wire cage they only have 15 lbs. when the capacity is 20. You should go to a place that refills your tank. The stores that trade your tank for a full one get ones in exchange for empties and don't get full ones(20 lbs) because of insurance. I'm guessing that your tank was only 3/4 full to begin with, that's why it feels half full.
    Well, I did just get one at the gas station. So that makes sense. I didn’t have another one. So I will get it filled rather than exchange next time.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    Also buy or make some more ingot molds. I use homemade angle iron molds and just guessing but I think I could match your 30 pound production in one or at most two ingot fills.

Old muffin tins work, not as well as angle iron in my opinion, but they do work. Just don't try to use them for food after putting lead in them.

Robert

I touched on this knowing I only had one mold. (That I can find) I think I will make some angle iron molds soon.

Boolit Bub
    So from what your saying make a shield from the base all the way to the ground? Sounds like a good idea. I will use some sort of thin metal sheets and rivet it on. Thanks!

Boolit Bub
    I am looking to do large quantities just so you all have the information for any other great advise this site provides. I am thinking I have about a ton and a half of wheel weight lead saved up. I separate the clip on and stick on. I work at a tire shop so it’s all free. I need to get going on melting it down to stack in a way the wife doesn’t have to stare at buckets in the garage or she might make me homeless!

Quote Originally Posted by tbobbo View Post
    So from what your saying make a shield from the base all the way to the ground? Sounds like a good idea. I will use some sort of thin metal sheets and rivet it on. Thanks!
    Yeah, some folks do well with cinder blocks or bricks stacked around the base also.

Basically; any heat you feel going out and around the sides of your pot is money and fuel being wasted.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

My wind shield extends from just below the burner up to the bottom of the melting pot and it made a big difference. It’s thin sheet metal wired in place. When I lived where it was almost always windy I also worked behind a wind break.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Grand Master
    The heat shield doesn't have to go all the way to the ground to be effective.

My smelting setup is a propane burner from a fish/turkey fryer, a lead pot made from 8" schedule 40 iron pipe with a flat bottom welded on and a heat shield from an old brake drum. It does make a difference and cost just a few minutes with a cutting torch to make.

Robert

Banned
    note, when the first batch melts, measure the temperature with your lead thermometer and adjust the setting until you get around 780° then mark the regulator.

Cut a coffee can and drop it over the burner to direct allt he heat to your pot.
    Put and leave the lid on to hold the heat in