Reloading EverythingWidenersLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionRepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lee 20 lb pot - can't see the spout

Boolit Buddy
    I stacked two 12" square concrete patio pavers under mine. I may add a third.

Boolit Buddy
    My reloading bench is an old steel institutional surplus desk. I use a telescoping desk chair to drop down so that I can see the spout on my Lee "drippy" pot. It also comes in handy to have a swivel chair with 5 rollers on the legs in case the tinsel fairy comes to visit. I can vacate the immediate area in a new york flash by just pushing away from the "bench" with a firm shove with my feet. Being able to adjust seat height also comes in handy when loading, as I can adjust seat height higher so I can see into cases to check for double/skipped powder charges. This works for me, your mileage may vary.
    NRA Life 1992
    My avatar is almost a dead ringer for my little buddy Chico. Six pounds of mean that thought he was a Pit Bull. Miss that little guy.

Boolit Master

Good ideas here - thank you all.

I've always been casting on a low iron table (around coffee-table height) and a folding chair, so I think I'll need to get something higher. Never an issue seeing the 10-lb spout but it sure doesn't work well for the 20-lber.
    My Iraq Pics

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club

Boolit Master

I continue to struggle with my initial setup while waiting for some alloy. For some reason the idea of sitting comfortably in front of or below the spout of a 4/20 pot un-nerving.

I reload standing and want to cast standing, but by the time I get the pot high enough to just barely see the spout, I can no longer easily glance into the pot or reach into it. At the comfortable "see the spout height" it now seems I'll need a short step or something (also disconcerting from a steady balance standpoint).

Just commenting my observations, but with no suggestion.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

I'm A Honcho!
    You don’t need to see the spout if your spout is clean and the lead flows the same every time. Someone school me if I’m off here. I too use a paver on top of a Harbor Freight utility table.
    You never know how you rank amongst men 'til you have seen what will break another man.
    The original "Bluejay" US Army/ US Navy 1945-1970.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bluejay75 View Post
    You don’t need to see the spout if your spout is clean and the lead flows the same every time. Someone school me if I’m off here. I too use a paver on top of a Harbor Freight utility table.
    Is that only after you are in the groove with a particular brand/style of mold? Also do you fill cavities inbound or outbound?
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bluejay75 View Post
    Do you mean their WorkMate knock off? If so, that's what I use. Pot is on a cookie sheet, workspace is a wooden TV tray, chair is a fold up. The TV tray is forward so that the workmate covers maybe 1/2 the TV tray. Folded towel on the TV tray, 2 bread loaf pans for casting 2 calibers at a time, alternating. I can see the spout for the 10 pounder, would likely see the 20 pound spout. I never felt like I needed a bigger pot, I always lay a new ingot on the top/rim of the pot to preheat as I refill. My first Lee 10lb cast probably 900k boolits before it needed a rebuild. I bought a new one while waiting for the parts. I rebuilt the old one and modified the new one with a steel shelf bracket to support the furnace. After rebuilding the first pot, I gave the newer of the two, plus molds, to a friend I've known since college and later work, as a retirement gift.

I also have another workmate just for the reloading press, a Lee single stage press that doubles as a depriming station and powder stand for doing rifles. I built a bench, it's at my brother's house, the portable one saves space and goes to the range on occasion. I haven't cast at the range in over 30 years, that was lead pot and dipper.

I bought and modified another pot for my other house so I can keep things stocked at either end. And another workmate, and press, and dies, ad nausea. Thank goodness my neighbor already had dies for his calibers, I just needed molds and dies for the things we both needed and shot. In fact, it pretty much stays at his house when I'm out west. That workmate bench height is just right for me.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Master

I go outbound on the mold, filling the farthest cavity first and pushing forward.

I keep the far end of the mold tilted slightly down so I have a little more control that puddling from one cavity doesn't overflow into the next before I'm ready to hit it.
    My Iraq Pics

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    Raise it up to a comfy level, simple...but remember that is very hot boolit metal that will land in your lap if your method of raising the pot should collapse!

Now that is just to organized, I mean, what caster would ever admit to having an organized and super clean casting area? I HAVE GOT TO COPY THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boolit Master
    I made a small table for mine with turned up edges that will allow me to get out of my chair if the spout has a runaway, I would think a crutch full of molten lead would ruin my day. I must say that sitting down to cast makes the hours casting a pleasure. Regards Stephen

Listen guys; y'all are going about this all wrong. I own one of these fine dripomatics and there is one sure fire way to hit the mark everytime!
    Use your little drip mountain like a sight to line up your first cavity and go from there...its funny but I am dead serious at the same time lol

Boolit Man
    Here's how to make it more difficult: Set up your casting pot facing the south on a glass patio table on the back deck. Start casting about noon so the glare bounces off the table into your eyes. Then start trying to inspect the shiny new bullets with even more glare. Trying to see the pour spout was impossible at times even with it at eye level. It didn't take long before I decided I needed to move. When I say it didn't take long, I mean a few sessions so a week of putting up with it. No more.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by OutHuntn84 View Post
    Use your little drip mountain like a sight to line up your first cavity and go from there...its funny but I am dead serious at the same time lol
    I kinda do, yep
    My Iraq Pics

Boolit Master

I have my pot set up on a box to bring the spout up where I can see it. I do not like to sit down when casting as that presents too much horizontal surface area for hot lead to land on, AKA my lap. There is a bible verse about hot coals in a mans lap being a bad bad thing.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Master

Way back when I raised my pots up on risers and mounted a small automotive vanity mirror inside my vent hood so I could view what the melt looked like.
    Mike

Benefactor Member NRA
    Life Member Iowa Firearms Coalition
    US Army Vet

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation.
    One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams 1826

Boolit Master

I bought the $23 China Freight "U.S. General Folding Clamping Workbench with Movable Pegs". It stands 30 or so inches high and now I can see the spout:

My Iraq Pics

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12