Inline FabricationWidenersLoad DataRepackbox
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision

Thread: Testing old powder?

Boolit Buddy

Testing old powder?

Hey Everyone,

I made a surprise find up in the loft this morning while searching for chronograph parts. I moved a large bin of "Christmas lights" and it felt awfully heavy. I peeked inside and found it full of a variety of powder that I had thought was lost in a move.

I have not gone through it yet but I intend to "sniff test" them to see if there is any chance they are still good. If they pass I want to load up a few rounds for test firing.

If the powder is degraded is it possible to have pressure issues with "light" loads? If the degradation caused a significant increase in burn rate I can see it being a problem. On the other hand, if degradation has slowed the burn rate it will just perform poorly.

I have my fingers crossed as one of the canisters is an unopened 8lb canister of 231 that I bought around 1990.

What is the safest approach to testing this powder?

Thanks.

Stephen

If it looks and smells OK, it probably is.

If in doubt, start low on the powder charge and work back up slowly watching for pressure signs.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    Start low. I have ran some really old, poorly stored powders thru my 1911. Start low and work up a load. I could be wrong but my two tests are "does the powder smell bad" and "does the powder look rusty". A friend loaded up some old H110 in 300 BO but used his normal recipe instead of working up a new load which resulted in some too-hot loads that he had to tear down.

Boolit Man
    I would not open any unopened containers just to give them a 'sniff' test. Wait until you're ready to use the powder.

I recently purchased some powder from a friend that contained a partial pound of IMR 4227. It had a very fine rust colored dust when I poured it I to a tub for inspection. It smelled fine and the dust merely painted the sides of the tub My research showed it being in the beginning stages of deterioration and was still safe to shoot.

My research showed one of the reloading / powder companies had used powder that was way worse in a test and it showed less pressure.

Opening the container isn't going to affect it, there is already air inside. If it looks and smells good, I wouldn't be afraid to use it as normal.

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you all.

I am going to go ahead and check out the already opened cans. In the absence of off smell or rusty appearance I will go ahead and load some lite loads.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Make a thin line of the powder on a steel plate and light one end with a grill lighter
    Regards
    John

John boy, could you offer a little explination as to what to look for if it isn't good powder?

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    How about it sputters or doesn’t ignite
    Regards
    John

Thanks.