MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Snyders JerkyRepackboxWidenersTitan Reloading
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tight primer pockets- .223 mixed head stamp

Boolit Master
    Had no idea anyone made sp cases for the .45. Oh well.

Haven't done that....yet

Didn't know about copper wash on steel either. I now pick out weird headstamps. Still have to check for crimped primers too.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NyFirefighter357 View Post
    Slick.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    The only one left to try is a Giraud power trimmer. Not going to mess around w/ their Tri-Way because the other three designs that are similar all left a lot to be desired.
    I have this and like it, but the tri-way cutter is not easy to get properly adjusted (good that you only do it once) and the length can vary by a few thou until you get the hang of it at which point it still varies by a thou or two.

Boolit Grand Master

Tight primer pockets- .223 mixed head stamp

Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    If you are going to use the Lee APP to swage the brass, know this. Raise and swage them at least 3 times before you eject the case. It works awesome for 9mm but 556 brass not so much.
    Haven’t found the need to do this. One pass is enough. The issue has been case alignment or lack there of. It does not place the case in the same spot in the shell holder every time. This leads to the backup rod not wanting to enter the case. I detailed this in the thread I created about the APP. I had this same problem yesterday. But it was already setup unlike my Dillon 600 so I kept using the APP. I would not suggest buying an APP for swaging if you don’t have one. Buy a Dillon 600 instead.

Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    I have this and like it, but the tri-way cutter is not easy to get properly adjusted (good that you only do it once) and the length can vary by a few thou until you get the hang of it at which point it still varies by a thou or two.
    This is the problem that I had w/ the other designs like it. One of the designs had a set screw on the shaft that kept coming loose. So much wasted time. And at the end of the day the case lengths are not consistent which I don’t want. Spending more time for consistent lengths is worth it to me.

Boolit Master
    Are you measuring the overall case length or shoulder to mouth? Those trimmers don't care what the overall case length is, only the relationship of neck to case mouth. If they are sized slightly differently before using the trimmer then the OAL's will be different. I think I would go back and measure case dimensions and compare base to shoulder lengths before blaming the trimmers.

PS I am not that picky about it. I resize and then use the Lee case trimmers.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Had no idea anyone made sp cases for the .45. Oh well.

Haven't done that....yet

Didn't know about copper wash on steel either. I now pick out weird headstamps. Still have to check for crimped primers too.
    The copper washed are visually identifiable, I’ve only seen them on rifle cases, particularly 7.62x54. They don’t look like brass, but don’t look like steel either.
    The brass over steel look just like brass, not sure how they would reload.
    I just read about them here last year and thought ‘no way’
    I had a batch of 9mm brass that I had visually sorted the aluminum and steel from laying around.
    A magnet picked up several of the cases that looked like brass to me, not sure of the headstamps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Tight primer pockets- .223 mixed head stamp

I bought the APP for case prep, bullet sizing and PP swaging.
    From what I’ve read it can work, but requires tinkering, and a 3D printer gets a lot of use in modifying one.
    So I consider it a nice parts kit and a winter project, just like many inexpensive products.
    I keep waiting for my smoker to die so I can improve it, insulation, bigger heating element, rewire it, etc.
    I bought it knowing it’s flaws, but it just keeps working, just not optimally.

Now if my friend would only get his 3D printer set up. He’s only had it since Christmas.
    It’s been put on hold by Covid, the bedroom it was destined for is now an office since they now both work from home. And he wants it in a room with a door to keep the cats out while printing.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    This reminds me of a reloading session I had with .45acp a while back. Went to prime a case and, bam! Turns out there was some mfg who made .45acp with small primers. First time I ever saw that.

Gotta check all your brass before reloading.
    This is why JMORRIS built an automated primer pocket size sorter for his 1050.
    I wonder if the APP can be modified for this somehow.