Load DataRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyTitan Reloading
WidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication

Thread: NICS background checks

Boolit Master

NICS background checks

I just saw where there are so many background checks that not all were completed. There is a 3 day limit on a check and there was 300k applications that did not go thru the check process but had to be approved. That means there was a potential of 300k gun sales without a check.

Boolit Master

Well that may be true, I have read reports of folks who did pass because they weren’t ran in 3 days. 30 to 60 days later they were visited upon by the local Mounties because they did not pass. Just because the check wasn’t done in three days doesn’t mean they didn’t follow through.

Personally, I think it’s rather ridiculous that you can call on the radio dispatch for ‘wants and warrants’ and have your radio call answered in 30 seconds or less. The search engines I used to use were accurate and fast, dispatch managers constantly check backgrounds fast.

In CA a lawsuit was filed arguing that persons who were already CCW holders should not be subject to a background check because they already passed and likely are carrying at the time of subsequent purchases. You better believe the politicians blew a gasket over that common sense court ruling. So they filed an injunction of course.
    Last edited by fcvan; 09-16-2020 at 02:34 AM.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Master
    September, 2019 NY: "A new law went into effect last week extending the waiting period to 30-days on firearm sales requiring a background check....The law only applies to gun sales where a background check has failed to be completed in the usual three-day period. The law also applies to the transferring of gun ownership....The law requires gun dealers to receive a "proceed" order from the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) before finalizing a sale....If no order from NICS is received by a dealer, a 30-day waiting period must pass from the time a background check is requested before a firearm can be delivered."

https://www.democratandchronicle.com...rk/2340803001/

In Ky all you do is produce your drivers license and conceal carry permit. Then go home with your chosen firearm. Only fly in the ointment is not all establishments accept conceal carry permits. I personally wouldn't buy from them.
    Ky State Director IHMSA
    Hunter Ed Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by wv109323 View Post
    That means there was a potential of 300k gun sales without a check.
    And? This the current law and it is what it is. The question is will the dealers actually release the firearms. There are some that won’t until they have an approval. These are the dealers you don’t want to use.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    That's what's nice about having a CPL in Michigan - since you've already had a background check in order to obtain the CPL - show it, fill out the proper FFL paperwork and do the registration slips and go home with your handgun.

Doesn't surprise me that there is a long time on the background checks. FOX did a short segment the other day where they interviewed a first time gun buyer (pistol) and there is no wonder there is a shortage of guns on the shelves, ammo, reloading components, etc. I don't remember the exact figure for the new first time gun buyers so don't want to misquote it, but it was amazing. No wonder though as with what it going on, people who were never worried about their safety, their family's safety, etc,. who would never have considered owning a firearm finally see the sense of it.

Boolit Master

The delays in the NICS checks has made me scale back my search area. A one hour search radius is about all I can tolerate for fear of having to do it all over again a day or two later. And I do so love, and miss, the Kittery Trading Post.

This doesn't bother me as much as you might think though. I have a sneaking suspicion that a sizable percentage of the new gun buyers don't wear white hats.
    You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
    Winston Churchill

That means there was a potential of 300k gun sales without a check.
    Yep. They have a certain amount of time to stop the sale, if they don't, then it goes through.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by monadnock#5 View Post
    Kittery Trading Post.
    I drove 5 hrs to go there last week

Boolit Master

My understanding is that for Michigan we did have approval for purchase in advance so the 4473 was not required. Then the idiot voters approved legalizing recreational pot use , but it is still illegal under federal law so we are now required to do a 4473 just as before because you are asked if you use illegal drugs on it. Now if you use pot you will not be approved if you admit it on the 4473. Or you lie and when you get caught you are in the deep doo.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by NyFirefighter357 View Post
    I drove 5 hrs to go there last week
    I enjoy going to the seacoast twice a year. The Trading Post is on the short list every time.
    You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
    Winston Churchill

Boolit Buddy
    I just saw where there are so many background checks that not all were completed. There is a 3 day limit on a check and there was 300k applications that did not go thru the check process but had to be approved. That means there was a potential of 300k gun sales without a check.
    So what? There is no excuse. It should be 30 seconds instead of 30 days. In the 21st Century there is no reason it can't be. A credit check could be performed in 30 seconds, why not a background check?

Boolit Master

It is intended to be an impediment to gun purchases and an "'acceptable "way to infringe on the rights of gun purchasers. I say acceptable because it is apparently tolerated by a populace that is content to let the government " guarantee " their safety.

Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Man
    My friend and I are seeing it at the gun shows.
    People who would not even allow a gun in their house are now coming to the shows and buying whatever they can get their hand on! They are for the most part clueless as to which end to hold and which end to point.
    On top of that, they almost demand we sell them a gun!
    And then the snowflakes get indigent when they discover that the gun control laws they so vehemently voted for apply to them as well.
    I have actually seen them get rude and obscene because they had to fill out a form 4473. When Paul tried to explain to them it was federal law because he was an FFL dealer, they were "but it's a gunshow! We can't just come in here and buy what we want!!??"
    Won't be long we will be turning certain people away from the table.
    Pay no attention to the mess in my shop. My best work comes from chaos!

Boolit Master

Indignant

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Master
    No wait for me the other day here in St. Louis. Paid my monies and walked out 5min later. Background check was quick and easy, same as always. Same gun shop Ive used for the last 6 years. They have changed their process where they no longer call, its all done on the computer.

Boolit Master

Ga. and Fla. laws allow CCW individuals to walk out with whatever firearm they buy. Ought to be that way in every state as the background check for CCW takes care of issues.
    10-x

NRA Endowment
    H.R.M.S.
    N.F.A.C.
    RVN Veteran
    VFW
    "The short memories of the American voters is what keeps our politicians in office"------Will Rogers