Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataReloading EverythingLee PrecisionWideners
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Bought a old/new to me Remington 722 in .222 Remington today.

Boolit Master

Bought a old/new to me Remington 722 in .222 Remington today.

A gun trading buddy of mine got this last week, and we did a trade. Pristine condition. Blue is perfect, wood is also, has had a grand total of 130 rounds thru it, he got it off the old fella that bought it new, and had all the brass in the boxes he had shot. I got that too. He had kept it in his spare bedroom, laying on the bed, and he would raise the window and shoot groundhogs in his hayfield. Has the std 26" barrel. I put on Burris bases and signature rings, supposed to have a Vortex 4x12 in tommorow to put on it. I have seen a bunch of these in the past, but never one in this good of original condition. If it shoots half as good, and I am sure it will, as I think it should, it has found a home.

Boolit Bub
    the 722 222 i have gave me a .301 5 shot group at 100. It shoots like a dream.

Banned

A 722 in .222 and one in .244 are on my gun bucket list. Good score.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a 722 in 222 and it is a good shooter. actually, I have 5 222's and every one of them shoots very well. excellent round.
    Barry

Classic!

Here's Koger's pics of his new 722. I like it a lot; I'm sure it'll be a tack driver/ tack destroyer!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I have a 722 in .222 / 26inch barrel
    You will have a hard time NOT shooting MOA. That rifle/caliber is super accurate.
    Good score!
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Master

If the trigger or safety give you any trouble, pull the action from the stock and hose them down with some penetrating solvent. I've found Remington triggers of this vintage are often well gummed-up with old oil that's turned to varnish after sixty years.
    Remember: Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Congrats - beautiful rifle! One of those in 222 is on my bucket list! Enjoy it - a great rifle.

Boolit Grand Master
    .222 was my first CF rifle, but in a M700 Varminter. That rifle never shot a bad group. Used a Lee Target Loader to make ammunition.
    Don Verna

Banned
    Sadly as an 18 year I bought my first centerfire rifle and it was a .222. But as an 18 year old I never thought I could not afford a Remington and had to settle for the lowly Savage 340. It was a good rifle, but nowhere as nice, nor as accurate as the Remington.
    I never did get that Remington, that is till last December when a wonderful gentleman on this board gifted me a Model 700 in 222, 1961 vintage, that he didn't need. I really should get it out and work up some good accuracy loads for it.

A big congratulations to Koger for his new treasure.

Boolit Master

Safety lever looks like a later rem. 700 mine are all lower profile then one shown on rifle in photo , am I seeing it right or was that safety on the 722 series ? Just curious , those are fine rifles , and a fine caliber . Congratulations

Boolit Buddy
    Very hard to find those old rifles that nice..........................Curdog

Boolit Master

Some cartridges just seem to draw my attention and one is the 222 Rem. I’ve had three and sold two off due to them being not quite the right rifle. One was a Mohawk short barrel. It was nice, but didn’t fit my needs. The other was a Howa mini-action. Thought I would like it, but it was too new and “tactical” as it had the synthetic stock and detachable magazine. The other was a Rem 700 and in one of my regrettable decisions, I had it rebarreled to a .223 Ackley heavy barrel. Still have it, but don’t shoot it very much. It was much more accurate as a 222 Rem. Would love to rebarrel it back to 222. I think that would make me happy.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Banned

Very nice old timer!

I have a near mint 722 in 222. I wish I didn’t. This rifle was left to me by uncle. When I was a kid in late 50s he had a Marlin 219 Zipper. That rifle was unbelievable to me. Shooting groundhogs so far away that looked like dots to me. Actually only 200yds or so. Anyway went to LGS with Unc to get a box of 219s. They had the 722 on counter display. Unc traded for the 722 over my objections.
    In fact I was told to be quiet and go sit in the car. Got the 722 still and only thing I changed was I put a K10 scope on it and threw away the variable that was on it.Attachment 269734

Drm50, I'll pay the postage from there to here to make your wish come true!

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    The 722 is IMO as good or better an action than the older 700s, mine in 257 Roberts was a sporter, my first CF rifle, and darn accurate. Carried it till the floorplate bluing was all worn off. I would love more 722s when budget permits! .222 is a decent round. Hoping you enjoy yours for a good long time

Boolit Master

I really enjoy my 722 with factory 26" barrel
    20.5 Grains of 4198 and a good 50 grain bullet
    Fun
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95