RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWidenersReloading Everything
Inline FabricationRepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad Data
PBcastco MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Lube sizer availability

Boolit Bub

Lube sizer availability

Tried getting into casting a few years ago and everything was backordered. Sizers and bottom pour pots couldn’t be found, so I gave up the idea and bought some lint style bullets that I wanted. Decided to try again and it still looks like everything is back ordered. Anyone know where to get a Lyman 450 or 4500?

Boolit Master
    One for sale in the Swappin and Selling section.

Boolit Bub
    I only saw 2, a star and a 450. Both had already been marked sold.

Ebay is where I'd look.

Boolit Master
    Couple out there on craigs thingy, you have to hunt with searches in various cities to find them.

Put a WTB on a local forum. That’s how I got mine recently

Boolit Master
    What are you looking for?
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.

Boolit Buddy

Ebay is where I found my most recent Lyman 450. Used but refurbished. New 4500 models seem to be sold out with all of the usual purveyors (Grafs, Midway etc.).

Boolit Master
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ar-lube-sizers

Both are still available. I have ben a fan of Star sizers for awhile. Hands down the fastest and easiest way to lube and size boolits.

Boolit Master
    prices sure have gone up on everything. I think I paid $75 for my 4500 when Lyman was clearing out their warehouse, now they are something like $225 with a heating element at many online sources and size dies sure haven't come down in price.

Boolit Master

I haven't used my Lyman since 2012 after having switched to powder coating everything. I would never consider selling as I know I can't replace it. I bought a lube heater when I was using Carnuba Red from member here Lar45 (White label) and first started shooting for cast in rifles. I think I still have 10 or 11 sticks.

Who knows what may happen, and loading without electricity may 'come back in vogue.' The mountain property is crying out for a cabin and although power poles are near, I would probably go off grid style with wind and solar to power things. I can almost see myself casting from a wood fired pot, back to hand pouring, later lubing and sizing with homemade lube, and loading with an old single stage press. Of course this would probably be after making my own black powder.

Never underestimate the value of raising chickens for eggs and eventually potassium nitrate. I have made to BP using 'chicken nitrate' and home made carbon, just to prove to myself it could be done. I still need to get 'tap-a-cap' dies and try making my own caps.

Brother and I both want to pick up flintlocks with spare side plates for caps. Probably just get one of each, but the flintlock would be a shotgun. For now I have enough primers for normal use for the rest of my lifetime, longer if I am only putting meat on the table. Then I am sure my grand kids will have enough to put meat on their tables.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Buddy
    Try sportsmans swaps and estate sales. The last one I bought at a estate sale,
    50% off that day. It was grungy, had to cook it out in the slow cooker! But it
    works great now.

Boolit Master
    Looks like I'll be pan lubing for a while.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Boolit Master
    Try posting a WTB in swapping and selling . You might get lucky

I would look into powder coating.
    Fortunately I have never spent my money on a lube sizer.
    I tumble lubed and sized on a push thru sizer.
    I have a lot of tumble lube I may never use now.
    Don't get me wrong, I really liked tumble lubing.
    I find powder coating like the difference between eating a piece of stale bread and a steak fresh off the grill.
    Look into it, it may save you a lot of money.

Boolit Master
    There’s another 4500 that just posted on eBay, looks like it’s in great shape. I expect it will fetch a top price.

Boolit Master
    The 4500 I referred to sold on eBay for $205.00 with $55.00 shipping. It looked like it was in great shape and had a heater.

Boolit Master
    If you can, buy an RCBS rather than a Lyman. I wore a Lyman 4500 out in 2 years sizing my cowboy bullets. There is a lot more surface area on the ram of the RCBS. Also as my instructions that came with my Forster press read..."This is a machine, there is no law against lubricating it".
    "There's a Fine Line Between Hobby and Mental Illness"!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Irascible View Post
    If you can, buy an RCBS rather than a Lyman. I wore a Lyman 4500 out in 2 years sizing my cowboy bullets. There is a lot more surface area on the ram of the RCBS. Also as my instructions that came with my Forster press read..."This is a machine, there is no law against lubricating it".
    Interesting. I have 2 Lyman 4500’s and both are over 10 years old. One has sized and lubed enough cowboy boolits that I went through 35 tubes of Alox and mine have not worn out.

The other 4500 sizes and lubes boolits for my Sharps rifle with SPG. No problems yet.

I hit the O rings with a shot of silicone when the opportunity arises.

Boolit Master

My old Lyman leaked a bit but not much. I broke it reducing the size of some jacket bullets which this application is not what it was supposed to do. I was stationed in Germany at the time 1980 or so and a German friend was a machinist and he took it home to see what he could do with it. He brought it back in a few days and I have not been able to do any damage to it since. A bit of over kill but it certainly works for me.

gmsharps

Attachment 269415
    Attachment 269416

I do not see where to do a image rotation sorry. If you click on the image it shows correctly.
    Last edited by gmsharps; 10-14-2020 at 03:23 PM.