MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad DataLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Wideners

Thread: Estate Sale

Boolit Master

Post Estate Sale

I bought several boxes of 180 grain .308 dia. bullets at an estate sale over the weekend for next to nothing. I can't do pictures but maybe someone can help me figure who made them. They are straight for a little more than half their length and then go to a cone with a small soft point, no rounded ogive at all. The box is red with metal crimped corners and just a white label stating the weight, shape and number, I was thinking maybe Herter's.

Anyway I made out like a bandit, there was a lot of reloading odds and ends in box lots. Things were moving fast and you had to make some fast decisions. I looked at one box, saw a few things grabbed it and ran. While sorting things out I pulled a Saeco hardness tester from the bottom of the box. I only have a fraction of the price of the tester in that box, not to mention the rest.

Dave

Boolit Master
    Nice... gonna share?

You'll shoot your eye out kid.

Better let some of us save you from that.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master
    One other thing is when you do find out what is in a box, you need to keep an eye on it. Lookyloo's like to move things from box to box without thinking that just maybe these things go together.

I had to buy two boxes to get both the RCBS .45 ACP shotshell dies and the form die a few years ago. Total investment for those two boxes was under $20.00 if I remember correctly.

As to your red boxes of .308 bullets-- Maybe Hornady? Seems to me like their spire points were always pretty pointy.

Robert

Boolit Master
    I thought that at first but I have some Hornady .308's, entirely different. They put you in mind of a sharpened pencil and no cannelure.

I once saw two nice shot shell loaders with a box between them, all three were priced. Whoever got the box had all the accessories for both presses. People that put these sales together can't know everything even if they care.

Dave

Boolit Master
    I have 3 'style' of boxes from Hornady, all with the brand printed on the boxes, no labels. One 'style' has reinforced corners both red and in white.
    Some Remington boxes have a 'label' but again the brand is also printed on the box.

Your find reminds me of an estate auction where full boxes of .22's went for $2 a box! No one was interested, except me of course.
    https://wbrpc.org/

genealogy, another area of interest

feedback - http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...9613-czech_too

Boolit Master
    I have some 180 grain 30 caliber bullets in the old Remington red boxes and some .312 dia bullets intended for the 303 British in red Hornady boxes plus some .375 diameter bullets in again the Hornady red boxes and those are for the 375 Winchester. Frank

Boolit Grand Master

Dad had some Herter's that sound like a direct match. That was in 1970. They were purchased in the late 50's or 60's. They didn't perform well on game so they just sat on the shelf until I started shooting/reloading as a kid. I shot about 250 of them at paper or rocks.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 09-18-2020 at 04:46 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Dad had some Herter's that sound like a direct match. That was in 1970. They were purchased in the late 50's or 60's. They didn't perform well on game so the just sat on the shelf until I started shooting/reloading as a kid. I shot about 250 of them at paper or rocks.
    I bought 250 for $12, I don't hunt anymore but do kill some paper and rocks, they will work fine.

There were a couple things there marked Herter's but nothing I could use, that's why I thought maybe they were Herter's. The guy that ran the sale said everything belonged to an old guy that had been gone for several years, he was a master wood worker, gunsmith and avid reloader. The son had followed his Dad but was selling his surplus. There was also some very expensive old wood working and machinist tools.