Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
RepackboxWidenersReloading EverythingLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication

Thread: Moisture separator for my CE gun

Boolit Buddy

Moisture separator for my CE gun

The moisture separator broke the last time I was using the gun. I was looking on harbor freight, and found several cheap ones. But those appear to be male/female, and i am pretty sure i need female/female? I am having a problem finding those. Sorry. probably a dumb question

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    You should be able to adapt from any fitting to another one with parts from any big box or auto store. Spray (ESPC or liquid paint) guns of all sorts and their parts are available many places. This is where you "go local" and forget the stupid internet.

Good luck.

banger

Boolit Master

Try your nearest farm supply store. Mine stocks just about every variation of brass air line fittings/connectors/adapters in three sizes - 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2". IIRC, they've also got moisture separators, too.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master
    If you live in a humid environment like I do on the Gulf Coast these simple and cheap moisture separators just don't work! We have a lot of days when the humidity is a 100% and it's not raining. I have gone to great lengths to get the moisture levels down as far as possible and I can assure you sand blasting or spray PC with dry air make a huge difference. Of course if you live in Bangerjim's area you probably don't need to worry about it.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonheart View Post
    If you live in a humid environment like I do on the Gulf Coast these simple and cheap moisture separators just don't work! We have a lot of days when the humidity is a 100% and it's not raining. I have gone to great lengths to get the moisture levels down as far as possible and I can assure you sand blasting or spray PC with dry air make a huge difference. Of course if you live in Bangerjim's area you probably don't need to worry about it.
    Humidity.....what's that??????? HA......ha!

We do have VERY low DP's here in the desert SW. Right now at 10:30 AM the temp is 94 and the RH is 18%. Very dry! This year we have not had our annual "monsoon" season in the summer. Hardly a drop of rain, but it is the desert.

I do not have any moisture separators/extractors on any of my compressors and pneumatic lines in the shops or my ESPC guns. If they were running 24/7 like in an commercial environment, maybe then.

I've been to gulf gulf many times and to Katy and it is generally humid 400 days a year! OMG!

banger

Boolit Master
    Yes, our air is humid. If anyone doubts this I would cut off a piece and send it to you, but the post office says I can't mail liquids!

Boolit Bub
    I use the plastic disposable ones available at automotive parts stores. Seems to keep the moisture down whether spraying liquid or powder.

Boolit Master
    The average humidity for a Houston, Texas morning is listed as 90%.

I use a homebuilt system of two evaporator coils to cool the air from the compressor then then the air enters a bank of three 30" long coalescing filters and then into a 30" desiccant filter to separate the moisture. Each filter also employs a drain valve. The 200 degree air out of the compressor head eventually enters the storage tank cooled to about 70 degrees. Air leaving the tank goes through an additional desiccant filter. Sounds like overkill, but having sand that flows and a PC gun that doesn't cake up was worth the time, effort and money.