Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionPBcastco
Reloading EverythingLoad DataRepackboxTitan Reloading
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Questions on loading a 45-70

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    Be sure to verify the max overall length your gun can take. It’s always hard to get as much BP as you want in, so the boolit gets seated further out. Consider getting a taper crimp die, if you continue to load BP.
    I have a crimp die for everything but my 45-70! For these I just seated the same depth as I do my smokeless. I put the case neck right below the top of the top lube groove. I'm sure I've got a bit of room for longer OAL, but it has worked fine with my other loads so I figured I'd start there and however much BP it took is what it would get.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Quote Originally Posted by phantom22 View Post
    I have a crimp die for everything but my 45-70! For these I just seated the same depth as I do my smokeless. I put the case neck right below the top of the top lube groove. I'm sure I've got a bit of room for longer OAL, but it has worked fine with my other loads so I figured I'd start there and however much BP it took is what it would get.
    How much BP are you planning to load? With a boolit seated as far down as with smokeless, I doubt if you can get 70 grains in. Maybe the HB boolit give you a little more space than a PB that I use.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    How much BP are you planning to load? With a boolit seated as far down as with smokeless, I doubt if you can get 70 grains in. Maybe the HB boolit give you a little more space than a PB that I use.
    Just to fill the case. I'm not particularly aiming for any specific amount. It took a little over 60gns.

Boolit Buddy
    So I went off to the range yesterday and decided to just give it a go hands on. What a blast! Fired a total of ten cartridges and it was unlike any other shooting I had done before. The sound was just awesome. The low thud of black powder compared to the sharp crack of smokeless is a night and day difference. And for the amount of noise it makes the recoil was not nearly as punishing as some of the smokeless loads (looking at you H4895).

I had my dad and a couple friends shoot off a round or two and when watching you get see the true majesty of black powder. Some nice flame coming out of the end of the barrel was observable where I couldn't see it while shooting it myself.

Better still, the accuracy was there as well. It still tends to shoot a bit high and right, but it does the same with smokeless. Knowing how it shoots I was able to hit some bullseyes at a modest 50yds.

I've been wanting to do this since I acquired the gun from my grandfather many years ago. I am so happy I was finally able to do it.

Thanks to everyone who answered my questions and helped me on the way for this. It may seem like a fairly insignificant event, but it meant a lot to me.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    If you have a way to, take a video in slow motion of the gun firing to see all the flames coming out of the muzzle.
    Last edited by GregLaROCHE; 10-08-2020 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Omission

Boolit Master
    It's so COOL, when you get to fire an antique firearm the way it was originally meant to be fired. I can FULLY relate to THAT!
    In a similar vane, I spent a few hours (and almost 1000 rounds) getting acquainted with an M3A1 sub-machine gun. My father carried one in the Pacific theater, and always cussed it. Having shot one for an hour, I can see why he was less than fond of it. It was FUN, but I'd be hard-pressed to defend myself with it, beyond conversational distances.
    Anyway, the point is, I can imagine the thrill you musta got, shooting black-powder rounds through your Trapdoor Springfield.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Master
    I have been shooting blackpowder from the 5th grade, 1953-54 time frame. I have a C.Sharps, a 1884 Trapdoor, H&R Trapdoor, and a Marlin Lever gun. They all require a different OAL to shoot there best. They all require a different charge weight to shoot their best. It is a real learning thing using Black powder. It was love at first shoot with black, 1860 Colt Army carried by a neighbors grandpaw in the states rights dustup. Different brands of black will also shoot different. Different gran sizes shoot different. Most of my six-guns and rifles are loaded with black but the black rifles are loaded with smokeless powder. I like Dupoint and buy every can that I find at yard sales and auctions, but Goex is my play around for me and 4 kids. If you want to go for MOA use Swiss today. I have started playing with a Browning High Wall in .38-55 and it is a different learning curve but recoil is much less and grandkids like it better.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123