Load DataLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Wideners

Thread: .300 Blackout, subsonic, in a short barreled rifle

Boolit Master

.300 Blackout, subsonic, in a short barreled rifle

I'd like recommendations for moulds. The ability to hold a 12" plate at 200' would really get my attention. Thanks.
    You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
    Winston Churchill

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by monadnock#5 View Post
    I'd like recommendations for moulds. The ability to hold a 12" plate at 200' would really get my attention. Thanks.
    Twist rate will make all the difference here....oh and if this is a semi auto platform or if it's single shot/bolt action.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

SIG MCX Rattler, semi auto, 5.5" barrel.
    You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
    Winston Churchill

Banned
    this one is a tack driver @ 100 yards over some 700X, hits steel like a tank

https://noebulletmolds.com/site/prod.../311-242-fn-j3

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Conditor22 View Post
    this one is a tack driver @ 100 yards over some 700X, hits steel like a tank

https://noebulletmolds.com/site/prod.../311-242-fn-j3
    Alrighty then. I like it!
    Winston Churchill

Boolit Master

I've had good accuracy with the Lee 230 gr. I doubt it can hold a candle to the NOE, if you don't mind spending the extra $. I've never stretched mine out. I wanted something that packed a wallop at relatively close range. I need to get mine out...…...

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hanzy4200 View Post
    I've had good accuracy with the Lee 230 gr. I doubt it can hold a candle to the NOE, if you don't mind spending the extra $. I've never stretched mine out. I wanted something that packed a wallop at relatively close range. I need to get mine out...…...
    When LEE takes the time to do it right, their stuff is as good as anyone's.
    Winston Churchill

Boolit Buddy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E4806DF9-3026-4761-8EA6-5A7733F5A6CA.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	20.5 KB 
ID:	267828

I ordered this one from Accurate. Going to try it out in my 7.5” ar pistol.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bashby View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E4806DF9-3026-4761-8EA6-5A7733F5A6CA.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	20.5 KB 
ID:	267828

I ordered this one from Accurate. Going to try it out in my 7.5” ar pistol.
    I was kinda hoping someone had experience with a MIHEC mould they could recommend. I'm taking a hard look at Accurate though. I've seen nothing but glowing feedback for their wares.
    Winston Churchill

I was kinda hoping someone had experience with a MIHEC mould they could recommend. I'm taking a hard look at Accurate though. I've seen nothing but glowing feedback for their wares.
    I don’t know in 5.5” but just everyone that tried MP 311-235 got very good accuracy, and it’s has been used in .300 BLK Ruger American Ranch, Noveske AR, various (Sako, Mauser, Bergera..) .308 Win (subs) and even in .300 WM (2050fps), Rem Sendero.
    Weight is from 214-225grs, depends on a variation you buy (NLG, GC, solid, HP....)

https://www.mp-molds.com/product/mp-...multichoice-2/

If above bullet is to heavy, I also use MP 311-180 Sil and I know one guy use that in his semi - auto .308 Win.

https://www.mp-molds.com/product/mp-311-180-sil-gc/

Something to consider here is I’m not sure if that twist rate is too fast for cast bullets. IIRC the rattler has a 1:5 twist, which might present an issue and usually works best with copper solids. This rate will absolutely be a problem with cast supersonic projectiles. This is why I stayed with a 1:7 twist with my short 300 SBR.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gamsek View Post
    I don’t know in 5.5” but just everyone that tried MP 311-235 got very good accuracy, and it’s has been used in .300 BLK Ruger American Ranch, Noveske AR, various (Sako, Mauser, Bergera..) .308 Win (subs) and even in .300 WM (2050fps), Rem Sendero.
    Weight is from 214-225grs, depends on a variation you buy (NLG, GC, solid, HP....)

https://www.mp-molds.com/product/mp-...multichoice-2/

If above bullet is to heavy, I also use MP 311-180 Sil and I know one guy use that in his semi - auto .308 Win.

https://www.mp-molds.com/product/mp-311-180-sil-gc/

Thank you for the recommendation, and I especially like the pics.
    Winston Churchill

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bpatterson84 View Post
    Something to consider here is I’m not sure if that twist rate is too fast for cast bullets. IIRC the rattler has a 1:5 twist, which might present an issue and usually works best with copper solids. This rate will absolutely be a problem with cast supersonic projectiles. This is why I stayed with a 1:7 twist with my short 300 SBR.
    I know that it will be months yet, but I have a suppressor with my name on it waiting for the paperwork approval.

I sure don't need it yet, but that's what I'm looking for, a boolit that will work with the can. The Sig has a gas regulator, so I should have some options selecting accurate cast projectiles.
    Winston Churchill

Boolit Master

With a 1:5 twist I'd be very leery of running a can on it. I think you're going to be fighting leading. Maybe a gas check design would help, maybe it wouldn't.
    NRA Benefactor.

I run a 170gr PB RD style in my 1:8 10" @ 850 fps. Lots of fun but get offset rings for 200.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Burnt Fingers View Post
    With a 1:5 twist I'd be very leery of running a can on it. I think you're going to be fighting leading. Maybe a gas check design would help, maybe it wouldn't.
    I've been resisting buying an ultrasonic cleaner. This project might be the one that puts me over the edge.
    Winston Churchill

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    I run a 170gr PB RD style in my 1:8 10" @ 850 fps. Lots of fun but get offset rings for 200.
    There's a guy on YouTube, MAC (Military Arms Channel) who was able to ring a gong consistently at 200 using the setup I'll have once sanctified by the Feds. He was using jacketed of course, but that's what I aspire to with cast.
    Winston Churchill

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by bpatterson84 View Post
    I have been thinking the same thing. However, do you think it would still be a problem if you only do cast subsonics?

Boolit Mold
    Hi!

Did you end up going with a cast bullet for your rattler? If so, super or sub? I am waiting for my own and seriously considering casting for it.