Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackboxLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Korean Surplus

I've picked up .308 brass with flute marks on ranges, apparently fired in HK rifles, reloaded it and fired it in an Israeli K98k bolt action without problems. Even after 2 reloadings the flute marks diminish but are still plainly visible.

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

Well for me fluted chambers I do not reload and refire it in a fluted chamber .But it you reuse it in another firearm where the sides are not getting work over and over I use it in a pinch.
    If I read everything right brass is trash by 2. I ask again is the brass failing due to high pressure or age or the brass weak. If the brass is the issue why would I sale it to someone else?
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by RP View Post
    Well for me fluted chambers I do not reload and refire it in a fluted chamber .But it you reuse it in another firearm where the sides are not getting work over and over I use it in a pinch.
    If I read everything right brass is trash by 2. I ask again is the brass failing due to high pressure or age or the brass weak. If the brass is the issue why would I sale it to someone else?
    The "M" split shown in the picture above, in which the case fails through its solid web into the primer pocket is a dangerous catastrophic defect which would cause the entire production lot of that ammunition to be subject to a world-wide recall and to be pulled down and destroyed. This is the result of a non-metallic inclusion or lamination in the first or second-draw cups when the case is formed and cannot be fixed by stress relief, annealing or other means.

Also, as I said in my previous response, if you cut off and shorten .30-'06 brass from 63mm to 51mm length, the wall thickness at the new case mouth position will be excessive and will NOT provide safe release clearance for a .308" diameter bullet, and by creating a "tight-neck" condition you are setting yourself up for a KABOOM!

PLEASE cease and desist from this stupidity. I don't know how to make this warning any more clear within the realm of civil discussion, other than explaining in brief clarity why I refuse to work retail... Please don't ask.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Well Sir that is the kind of answers I am looking What a M split is and what causes it not it is junk I had a round spilt so from now on all of that type is bad answer. Just telling me the rounds are junk is a answer but I need to know more and gather my info from as many sources as I can to decide what route I will take.
    When you get answers saying sell the brass to someone else leads a person to think the brass is ok something else was the problem.
    On a side note gather information from several sources is not Stupidity you level of knowledge I do not know. People will say things like a expert and they know less then the person asking.

As far as cutting the brass down and neck tension reaming the neck will fix that.
    The time it takes to cut the brass remove the crimp in the primer pocket clean and so on is not a quick project and to most their time is better spent doing other things or even doing nothing but sitting and watch TV. I rather be out the the shop tinkering on a project and if that is wasting my time converting brass I pick that over watching the filth they put on TV now days.

Thanks for explaining what causes a M split I have learned something. Just because I have several presses and lots of other toys for reloading and been reloading for over 20 years I know only a fraction that is why I ask and look until I understand why or how.

I hope that clears up the Stupidity and I can see why you would not make in retail.

I guess everyone is just looking and not posting their thoughts on this now. I am still interested in learning more about surplus ammo and what can be done as far as using it as is or converting it.
    Funny how a poster can go from break it down sell the brass since converting brass is a waste of time and one warning to I have spoken end of story.
    So ? I like to asked is there a way to examine the brass to see this flaw? or is it a hidden defect? Before everyone jumps on with its a waste of time or not worth the danger I like to note I reloaded with modern 308 brass and am just looking to learn and or get a insight.
    I been on goggle looking and for the most part this is only site I have found so far speaking of a M split.
    So is it possible to share information no I am not beating a dead horse just trying to learn more or convince anyone these rounds are just as good as any other.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    So sell the 30/06 brass if is dangerous why would someone one buy it?
    Smash flat with a hammer to prevent anyone from trying to reload it, take to a scrapper, it will bring about $1.25 per pound
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

I guess everyone is just looking and not posting their thoughts on this now. I am still interested in learning more about surplus ammo and what can be done as far as using it as is or converting it.
    Funny how a poster can go from break it down sell the brass since converting brass is a waste of time and one warning to I have spoken end of story.
    So ? I like to asked is there a way to examine the brass to see this flaw? or is it a hidden defect? Before everyone jumps on with its a waste of time or not worth the danger I like to note I reloaded with modern 308 brass and am just looking to learn and or get a insight.
    I been on goggle looking and for the most part this is only site I have found so far speaking of a M split.
    So is it possible to share information no I am not beating a dead horse just trying to learn more or convince anyone these rounds are just as good as any other.
    Sometimes when it's been said, it's been said, and there isn't much more to say. In your particular case, you can't tell if a dangerous flaw exists until you fire the ammo. Don't want to find out that way, do you? Just pull the bullets and reuse them in other loads, salvage and reuse the powder if you trust it, take Outpost's advice and smash and sell the cases. Not much else to say. The conversation can continue if you have other surplus ammo-- some of it is excellent stuff like the Greek-made .303 British, etc.

Boolit Master
    I'm with outpost, I still got my eyes and fingers from staying clear of things that might be danger to me or others. 308 brass is pretty easy to come by.

Boolit Master

Well I am curious to is it all years and a known issue ? Have you fired any ? I myself have no dog in the fight and have not tried google for more information .

Well I googled and KA is corrosive primed PS is non corrosive several links and pictures of PS with same or worse splits most comments were KA was good brass and other comments were PS was bad at times , one link had same poster showing KA 71 split , so it is out there to google , and then you yourself have to decide what to do or not , good luck , years past I had korean and taiwan ammo , no issues other then taiwan used a larger then large primer .
    Last edited by FLINTNFIRE; 09-23-2020 at 07:38 PM.

Coming from an industry where we did such things, yes there are nondestructive ways to analyze each case to see what if any flaws it might have, and the cost is orders of magnitude beyond what could be justified. X-ray diffraction analysis for one case would buy you a good used F-150. Listen to Outpost. Destroy the stuff and chalk it up to experience.
    Cognitive Dissident

Flintnfire Thats what I found for the most part PS even had list of different lots that were know to be bad. And no I have not fire any the fellow that picked them up fired 5 rounds told me the first one fail to fire looked like a light primer strike he said and did not try to fire it again. The other four kick harder then any of his brand ammo. He picked it up for just in case have on hand rounds zombies and stuff like that. For the price I picked up 2 cans with the plan on reforming the cases and having a pile of zombie rounds on hand. That is why I started this thread to get informed for this project and if its worth doing it again if I find a good deal on surplus later. The down side I knew when I got them was the primers.
    Der Gebirgsjager I do have other surplus not any large amounts just a hand full of this and that not even sure if its from the same lot pulling the rounds saving the bullets and tossing the brass is no big deal.
    Yes one single picture of a base split and another member stating he has had the same thing happen was good enough to not use the brass.
    And I take it there is not a way to find a flaw did not know if there was some kind of test like finding a crack with metal dust and a charge.
    As well as the only way you will get a M split is faulty brass not a over charge is that correct. Understanding what is happing with this lot will also help me as well as others with other surplus.

Boolit Mold
    I sent you an email a couple days ago, no reply yet. I have a lot, maybe 100 + lbs, of 308, all carefully sorted and labeled by the OCD guy I got it from. Most is once fired. Drop me a note, we can work something out. Watergoat

I email you a reply if I had not seen this I would not have looked for a email PM me is the best way of contact.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12