Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Wideners Load Data
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Getting started with reloading for my S&W Model 10-5?

Go to a local range and ask the Range Safety Officer if you can take some fired brass out of their container - if so, fill your bag, sort them at home and trade the ones you have no use for for bullets.
    I think your biggest challenge will be finding primers.
    Good luck, enjoy the reloading and FOLLOW THE RECIPES in the load manuals and don't substitute components... and yes, it is normal to be nervous when shooting your first own loads - but if you still have all your fingers after that, you'll be hooked
    NRA Certified Instructor Pistol
    NRA Certified Instructor Metallic Cartridge Reloading
    NRA Certified Instructor Shotshell Reloading
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    NRA Life member
    www.primercatcher.com

Quote Originally Posted by Big Tom View Post
    Go to a local range and ask the Range Safety Officer if you can take some fired brass out of their container - if so, fill your bag, sort them at home and trade the ones you have no use for for bullets.
    I think your biggest challenge will be finding primers.
    Good luck, enjoy the reloading and FOLLOW THE RECIPES in the load manuals and don't substitute components... and yes, it is normal to be nervous when shooting your first own loads - but if you still have all your fingers after that, you'll be hooked
    Understood mister! I'd never want to hurt my newly acquired revolver or myself in this quest to get a good price per bullet.

Would it be weird to rummage through their spent brass to look for .38 special?

Weird to scrounge brass, LOL. No. Any self respecting reloader throws all shame aside for an increase in the stash.

38 special is one of the easiest and safest cartridges to load for. There is a fair amout of air space in the case. If you start with the starting load for amount of powder, and use a bullet of the same weight as your data, you're generally safe.

Friends cant believe it, but two of my favorite guns are old model 10s.
    The first was my first centerfire revolver. I traded a chevy 327 block for it. It's not in bad shape for its age and is a good shooter.
    The second was an Aunt's father's service gun, having obviouly bee carried inside the belt on many sweaty days. the left side is a bit worn and micro pitted, but not really rusty. The curious thing about this gun is that it appears to have been sawed off, reducing the barrel the about 3.5" with NO crown, and the knife-blade-thin sight was set back and soldered, obscuring some of the roll marking. The barrel bore is badly pitted, like a asphalt road.
    BUT that little gun remains a TACK DRIVER with 158 graing SWC at 750-800 fps. The ugly little bugger shoots and is a hoot every time it goes out.

Your piece will give you a lifetime of enjoyment at moderate cost. You made a good buy.
    Salvaging old Marlins is not a pasttime...it's a passion

Quote Originally Posted by pls1911 View Post
    Your piece will give you a lifetime of enjoyment at moderate cost. You made a good buy.
    I actually got my Model 10 for only $450 plus tax. Considering that the internals are great, even the bore is nice and clean with well defined lands and grooves! I'll be able to enjoy it for years to come! That sure is an interesting modification for your revolver. Maybe its previous owner was a couple steps ahead of being tacticool? Not sure how you would remediate the barrel damage without visiting a gunsmith. I don't think asking him to make the same modification to a perfectly usable barrel would be a reasonable thing to ask...

Banned
    I have 2, 4, 5 and 6 inch Model 10's along with several 4 inch 64's. They are my favorite handgun by a factor of 10.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott.M View Post
    I have 2, 4, 5 and 6 inch Model 10's along with several 4 inch 64's. They are my favorite handgun by a factor of 10.
    I got the 4 incher because its length is just right for me. Not a fan of snubbies, and while the 5 incher was more popular for police departments and the like, it's just a little bit too long for my tastes. Fits better in a safe at 4 inches. My Midway shipment should come by around Wednesday, and I'm excited to get started.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    If you start with the starting load for amount of powder, and use a bullet of the same weight as your data, you're generally safe.
    I have one really big problem here: I live in an apartment and my lease states that I should "abide by the following rules and regulations":

"No paints, oils, gasoline or any flammable or environmentally hazardous materials are permitted in the apartments or storage areas. Site manager will be informed of, and have approval over, oxygen tanks in units."

"Fireworks or explosives of any type are prohibited on the property. This includes apartment units, common areas, parking areas, lawns, entrances."

I have a can of Goof-Off in my supply closet, and some cooking spray in my place, but no one's ever kicked down my door to search for flammable materials. They did make an inspection of the premises and were pleased with it, earlier. Guess they didn't find the Goof Off.

I checked the regulations, and apparently smokeless powder is officially designated as a "Flammable", which still lies in the realm of hairspray and cooking oil.

How exactly do I ask my landlord about this? I have no idea how gun-friendly they may be. I think i may want to bring up Cooking Oil or Goo-Gone (which I have in my place) and ask if those two items are OK. Maybe I should ask about some other common flammable material?

If I don't pull this off right I may have to cancel my plans until I eventually move out.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    My suggestion is that you should keep only a small quantity of powder on hand, maybe a couple pounds of powder and not more than 1000 primers and store these in your vehicle, kept in a picnic cooler until needed. Vehicle storage must be short-term only, as summer heat deteriorates powder. Store larger quantities off site with a friend having a single-family residence to top off your short-term vehicle storage as needed.

Bring only one can of powder and a few hundred primers into the apartment only as needed for loading, and return the unused portion to the cooler in your vehicle trunk when finished loading. This avoids having to ask for your landlord's blessing on a subject he knows little about.

Once you get your own place, then NFPA-495 applies and that is the guidance that your homeowner's insurance will go by.
    Last edited by Outpost75; 09-22-2020 at 11:11 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    Last time I was swabbed at the airport was within a week of loading some rifle rounds and it did not tag me. I guess washing your hands well works.
    Being in an indoor range where other people are firing will deposit enough GSR on your clothing to set off the alarms! After shooting, bag your range clothes and put into the laundry for washing and decon. After showering, washing your hair and scrubbing your hands well, then change into clean clothes. If firing a revolver use a medical scrub brush with soap and water on your hands and fingernails!

When cleaning your daily carry firearm wear medical exam gloves to avoid transferring lead residues and GSR onto your hands. All SOP for industrial hygiene in the "frequent flier" Federal LE community these days.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

You still havent read the manual have you? Questions like that are answered in the Lyman manual. Powder and primers are as safe to handle as cooking oil and sugar.

In my previous comments, I mean, not safety in your house during reloading, but of pressure In the finished cartridges so you do not damage your gun.

Don't mention it to the landlord until you have the confidence to explain the nature of every aspect and the safety procedures inherent to making ammunition responsibly. If two years from now they find out, you will be able to explain it in such a manner to relieve doubts, whereas you could not now as you're still in the "worried about blowing yourself up" phase.

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    My suggestion is that you should keep only a small quantity of powder on hand, maybe a couple pounds of powder and not more than 1000 primers and store these in your vehicle, kept in a picnic cooler until needed. Vehicle storage must be short-term only, as summer heat deteriorates powder. Store larger quantities off site with a friend having a single-family residence to top off your short-term vehicle storage as needed.
    Unfortunately, there's a clause that states that the "Explosives" categories extend to vehicles and the parking lot. However, Smokeless Powder is a "Flammable" and not an explosive. I don't have other students that I trust enough to keep my powder in their place. I really don't want to place my powder in a non-climate controlled area in the first place. My powder is stored in a place well away from the floor heaters in the apartment and far apart from wherever I will store my powder.

I have only bought a single pound of powder, but considering that it only takes 4 or so grains to get a cartridge up to speed, I have more than 1,500 charges at my disposal at the moment.
    This issue has also caught my dad's attention, who's probably going to force the issue and "confiscate" it before I even begin the hobby. That is, as long as I'm in this apartment. I can best describe him as a "closeted conservative"; a guy that has to appear more liberal around his professional group for his job but was raised conservative.

I'm planning on proving that there's absolutely no reasonable way to purchase ammo at a regular price. I've already talked to every Cabela's in my own state and even in Idaho, and they are all out of .38. I've got hundreds of listings on hand to prove that the only place to purchase ammunition is going to be somewhere that sells it for wholly unreasonable prices on places like Gunbroker (Ironically, the same place where I got my Model 10 for an excellent price). Even primers are being sold for scam level prices.

Considering the ammunition shortages occurring right now, I don't think that things are going to get any better for over a year. I just want to convince him that this is the only way I can get enough ammunition to train and protect myself wherever I find work once I graduate.
    Last edited by VariableRecall; 09-23-2020 at 02:34 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Wow, with a list like that you might not want to mention to the management that sugar has been used as rocket fuel!
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    You could invite him to discuss his concerns with us here; Point out that reloading is legal and quite popular among shooters due to low cost and high quality of the resulting rounds. If they have other concerns, find out what they are? And you're a grown adult so it's your house, your choices, right? (I'll admit to being a little hard over on that point due to having had problems with a thieving family member who also wanted to run my life etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sheesh View Post
    And you're a grown adult so it's your house, your choices, right? (I'll admit to being a little hard over on that point due to having had problems with a thieving family member who also wanted to run my life etc.)
    I'm 25, actually. Turns out when I had discussed reloading with him earlier, perhaps he didn't realize that I actually got reloading equipment at the ready to use. He won't be back for a while, so that imminent threat of not being able to reload is through. Thank goodness. I did tell him about how much you would get scammed by less than scrupulous people online if I were to get ammo from auctions.

I believe that I should be able to get started, slowly and carefully with my newly purchased equipment.

Also talked with the landlord, and hypothetically, I'm not supposed to have gunpowder in here, but, how are they doing to find out when it's in a cool, dark place far away from any heat sources?

Boolit Master
    I think you are over thinking this. Reload your ammo and keep quiet about it.

Quote Originally Posted by jimlj View Post
    I think you are over thinking this. Reload your ammo and keep quiet about it.
    Good idea! Will do! If he doesn't know, the better! When I move out, I can just tell him I got the goods over a period of time to PREPARE myself for reloading.

Boolit Master
    your loading 38 spl with 158 gr cast bullets. correct? get 2000 pc brass 2000 bullets, 2000 primers a pound of bullseye, load em all up, and is there any rule you can't own a gun and ammo?

Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    your loading 38 spl with 158 gr cast bullets. correct? get 2000 pc brass 2000 bullets, 2000 primers a pound of bullseye, load em all up, and is there any rule you can't own a gun and ammo?
    There's technically no reason why I shouldn't have a firearm. That's exactly why I got it. I've gotten some brass from two very generous users, even some primed cases! However, those primed cases are the ONLY primers I have available and there's no way in the world that I'm going to get scalped on Gunbroker paying $120 plus Hazmat shipping for 1000 primers there. I also purchased 650ish 158 grain SWC cast bullets coated with Hi-Tek. Just a Flate Rate box packed to the brim with bullets. My Midway USA box with all of my ammunition supplies came through as well, so technically I have everything I need to start for the first 100 cartridges.

I'd say my only option is to ask users for some Small Pistol primers and compensate them on Paypal if they would prefer that method of transaction.

Banned
    This entire thread is weird.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast