Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load DataInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Getting started with reloading for my S&W Model 10-5?

Quote Originally Posted by Ozark mike View Post
    Or ya can just throw em in a old laundry bag then throw em in the washer.
    I've got a feeling my landlord would not like that.
    Would soaking the cartridges (primer free of course) in a gallon bag with a good amount of Dawn, and giving the mixture a couple of hours, and then drying the lot of them for a couple of days work as well? That way, I can keep using my sink while the cartridges stew in Dawn?

Just wiping em off will be good enuf ya just dont want to get grit in yore resizing die
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

Washing them with dawn will do nothing. Unless they have mud or sand on them it's a total waste of time. Now, I advise you to try it if you're curious.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ozark mike View Post
    And a case trimmer. The list never ends im to afraid to add up all my equipment Id probably run to the nearest cave and learn to throw a spear if i knew what my reloading equipment cost in total
    In 40 years I’ve never needed to trim a straight walled handgun cartridge.

I would suggest getting .357 Magnum dies instead of .38 Special. You can load .38s with .357 dies but not the other way around.

The pieces you’ve listed are a good start. When you get tired of the hand press everything you have will transfer to the Lee presses with the breech lock bushings. I’ve been using the Hornady version of those bushings for over 10 years and love them. They aren’t “necessary” but they sure are handy.
    Last edited by David2011; 09-16-2020 at 09:28 PM.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Bub
    you don't need two scales to start. Either will work for powder but the lyman has capacity to weigh bullets or loaded cartridges and digital is easier to use if you keep it calibrated and zeroed. .357dies will load .38 and if you get a .357 later you already have dies. A 3 die set is all you need on a single stage press the 4th die works best on a progressive press. Almost forgot The lee powder dipper that comes with the dies will through consistent enough to replace a powder measure for a basic setup especially with powders like 231. just be sure verify the actual weight with a scale, and the set of lee dippers is cheep
    Last edited by jj850; 09-16-2020 at 10:58 PM.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by VariableRecall View Post
    Here's a very important question:

Where exactly should I store powder in my place? I've got some shelf space but obviously I should keep it well away from food or ignition sources, or my clothing so that If I get swabbed at the airport they aren't going to give me the old TSA interview after detecting something out of place.

Also, I've got a fire extinguisher at home just in case things go sideways.
    Joe, for over 50 years, I have kept my stash of reloading powders either on the floor of our master bedroom closet or on the floor under the bed. Wherever you choose to keep yours, make sure that it stays relatively cool and dry. Heat (above room temperature) and high humidity are the two biggest enemies of smokeless reloading powder.

The following link is a PDF, provided by SAAMI, for the safe storage of powder. Hope this helps! TreeTop

https://saami.org/wp-content/uploads...ess-Powder.pdf
    "Treetop"
    Sgt. USMC
    1968-71

"Accuracy has a suppressive power all by itself."
    Lt. Gen. George Flynn, USMC

“The Second Amendment was not written to protect your right to shoot deer.
    It was written to protect your right to shoot tyrants…”
    Judge Andrew Napolitano

Do you regularly go to the airport? Do they swab folks for gun residue? If you take a shower and wear clean close before you got airporting, wouldnt that be sufficient?

I ain't ever been to the airport so maybe my questions are common knowledge to the average air traveller.

Quote Originally Posted by David2011 View Post
    In 40 years I’ve never needed to trim a straight walled handgun cartridge.
    This is partly true with the exception i have bought brand new brass resized it to find it was a little on the long side so i trim all brand new brass to spec before i reload this way they are uniform for the crimp die
    Not to mention the cases that headspace on the case mouth this step is critical

I trim all my revolver brass for consistency.

I haven't trimmed any auto brass such as 45 acp yet. I've not measured much of it but found the taper crimp will adapt to varied case lengths. I have been running mixed headstamp brass, but I plan to sort and trim a batch for self defense rounds, should I ever be able to acquire some jacketed hollow points.

Boolit Grand Master

If you want clean cases and don't care about shiny get some citric acid. A dilute citric acid bath not only cleans the brass but it chemically stabilizes it. You can find citric acid in the canning section of your grocery or hardware store and it is cheap. There is a long sticky somewhere here on citric acid cleaning - it's worth the read when you have some time.

I haven't trimmed pistol brass - and have fired a lot of 38 Special, 357 Mag, 44 Mag. When I started loading for the 45Auto I measured brass and found them all short - so I have never trimmed any of them either.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    Do you regularly go to the airport? Do they swab folks for gun residue? If you take a shower and wear clean close before you got airporting, wouldnt that be sufficient?

I ain't ever been to the airport so maybe my questions are common knowledge to the average air traveller.
    It isn’t a problem, even if you don’t shower or change clothes, at least it hasn’t been for me.

The EOD guys get stopped from time to time, but that’s not smokeless powder.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post

I didnt see this. I havent flown since i was a snot nosed kid in the military. Im too poor if i need to go somewhere i just hop in my car 55mpg is a whole lot cheaper than a plane ticket. Besides i rince out the washer.

I've ordered the current items in my cart in Midway USA! The items should make their way to my place in about a week.

I need to check with my local sporting goods store if they have Winchester 231, they should, but I need to head over there anyways to pick up miscellaneous supplies.
    I've also grabbed some cheap plastic containers salvaged from resealable lunch meat packages from my pantry for use in organizing brass and their various states of preparedness.

With regards to the airport swabbing. In my personal experience, in major airports the TSA swabs the hands of people, usually an individual from those who travel in groups, to test them for any explosive residue on their hands. I'd assume they are more specifically looking for residue from plastic explosives as they are more portable for terrible people. Remarkably, it seems like my mom of all people has been swabbed for explosives the most when we were traveling. I'd assume that it would take a couple of weeks for all traces of explosive residue to leave your hands, but i'd rather not push my luck if my folks need to take me somewhere and that might lead to me having some serious talk with the security people.

Fun fact, when I was like 10, a guy on the FBI most wanted list used my name as a pseudonym, which meant that I was put on the no-fly list most of the time until my parents had to clear it up with security that a wanted criminal in question couldn't possibly be a little kid. Delayed our departures for years until the baddie was caught.

Otherwise, I've had good experiences flying as a passenger. Helps to reach family that you can't often get to easily.
    Last edited by VariableRecall; 09-17-2020 at 03:33 PM.

Boolit Master
    Hi there! I'm Joe.
    Hey Joe, I haven't read this whole thread, perhaps you already have some dies by now. If not I'd be happy to gift you a set of RCBS steel 38/357 dies. You will have to lube the cases when resizing, but they will get you started and they work great. If I had found Hornady one shot lube 35 years ago I may have never bought a set of carbide dies. Send me a PM if you want/need them.

I bought a set of Lee carbide 357 dies and have loaded thousands of rounds with them. The Lee dies and presses may not be as good (perhaps I should say refined) as other brands, but I have quite a few different sets of Lee dies and for the price they can't be beat. I recently replaced my single stage RCBS press with a Lee turret press and can't really say anything bad about it either.

Boolit Master

Jim, don't sell yourself short on the Lee Turret press, I own 2. My original eventually wore out after several 100k rounds loaded. I merely bought the replacement parts and it sort of upgraded as well. The second press hasn't seen as much use as the first as I have it at my second home, but do most of my casting/reloading at the first. I pretty much had to duplicate all of my dies and molds except the ones my neighbor shot.

When I set up the second press he wanted to learn. He took to reloading quite well, but hasn't done any casting. He is actually 'babysitting' the second press and portable reloading station. Think table top added to a 'workmate' type folding work bench. As far as steel dies, I learned on those. I still have to lube rifle cases and worked around that. Plastic jug (peanuts) with screw on lid, dribble some vegetable oil in the jug and shake. Hot soapy (Dawn cuts grease!) rinse followed by a second soapy rinse with some lemon juice. 5 or so minutes later, I strain and dump straight into the polisher with ground walnut and a tablespoon of Turtle Zip Wash. The wet brass causes the walnut to to swell and lose the smoothness.

Brass is shiny and dry in about an hour, Zip wash has a bit of wax that seals the pores of the brass, stopping oxidization. I' was given a box of factory 308 brass by my brother when I bought my M1A. Still unfired, the factory brass has oxidized, my reloads of the same age are still pristine. Still, your generous off to the OP is commendable, even though an earlier post indicated he had just ordered his gear earlier today. I love this site, best bunch of folks I have associated with.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Quote Originally Posted by jimlj View Post
    I'd be happy to gift you a set of RCBS steel 38/357 dies.
    I've already purchased the 4 pack of Lee dies, but thank you for the offer. They say the carbide dies that I had purchased don't need any case lubricant, so I had opted for that.

Boolit Grand Master

Last time I was swabbed at the airport was within a week of loading some rifle rounds and it did not tag me. I guess washing your hands well works.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

I've already purchased the 4 pack of Lee dies, but thank you for the offer. They say the carbide dies that I had purchased don't need any case lubricant, so I had opted for that.
    I still lube my cases used in the carbide dies it reduces the forces on the press which in turn gives greater life to working parts. But who knows I've been called difficult before

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    Last time I was swabbed at the airport was within a week of loading some rifle rounds and it did not tag me. I guess washing your hands well works.
    Thank you for the info man, I'll be sure to keep my hands clean either way.

One last thing; is there ANYWHERE that I can get small pistol primers for a reasonable price? Keep in mind people on Gunbroker selling then at $0.50 a primer doesn't count. I'm talking their regular prices that they are normally expected to go for. If not, well, there's a reason why it's called a global shortage. I'd be willing to buy them off someone here using PayPal at a price of 4 cents per-primer plus around half of shipping, if possible.

Boolit Master
    Talking about lubing, you’re using a hand press so won’t have the leverage of a regular press. If you find it really hard to size the brass using a little lube will help a lot.

Lay the brass out flat, I use a cookie sheet or a box top, and give them a quick mist with hornady one shot. Once the ammo is loaded just wipe them off with an old rag.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast