MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2RepackboxInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionLoad DataReloading EverythingWideners
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Getting started with reloading for my S&W Model 10-5?

Boolit Master

Years ago, I picked up a Lee hand press and Lee 38 38/357 dies. I already had a full reloading setup but wanted a portable setup as well. The hand press is easy to set up and once your dies are wet up correctly you generally don't have to mess with them but you still need to check them and make sure.

Digital scales are reasonably priced and accurate. Kinetic pullers are rather inexpensive. The hand press comes with a powder funnel and the priming tool. The dies come with a powder scoop that will get the job done. Some folks make their own scoop from a 9mm or .380 casing which can be trimmed to suit your powder charge. Anyway, a press that fits in a shoe box has it's utility.

You did not list your location so it would be hard to say if other reloaders are near enough to show you the ropes and possibly cast boolits with/for you. Some guys do a 50/50 deal, you supply 10 lbs of lead, you get back 5 lbs of boolits. Folks can't sell you boolits they make because it requires licensing and a hefty annual tax to comply with regulations. Barter works quite well as there is no money involved.

My S&W is similar to yours, only it is a M13 Bull Barrel in .357 magnum. Love it, pretty much the most fun gun for recreation and sport. Oncefiredbrass.com is a resource for inexpensive brass. Powder right about now is sometimes scarce, I buy in 8 lb jugs and primers 5K at a time, I shoot a lot. Favorite boolit is a Lee 356-125 2R which actually casts fat at 358 diameter. Round boolits feed well with speed loaders, revolvers don't sling brass everywhere. Good luck, have fun, but do find someone who reloads to show you the ropes.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Oh i didnt see it mentioned ya might pickup a 6in mic. The only reason i dont say calipers is because im good at getting grit in the rack and Clockwork and dont trust digital chinese crap. Kinda hard to mess up a 40 tpi c clamp
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    The lee loader I would recommend except you'll set a few primers off during seating. Probably wont be acceptable in an apartment setting.
    What should I do to avoid setting the primers off? just go for a smooth motion with the press itself?

Quote Originally Posted by Ozark mike View Post
    Oh i didnt see it mentioned ya might pickup a 6in mic. The only reason i dont say calipers is because im good at getting grit in the rack and Clockwork and dont trust digital chinese crap. Kinda hard to mess up a 40 tpi c clamp
    By mic, you mean Micrometer, correct? That's to check diameters during the reloading process?

Hes talking about lee loaders which use a hammer ill find a video jus a sec

Yes a micrometer. Youll find all kinds if uses for it dia. Coal. Ect a caliper will be needed for measuring inside cylinders cases ect so ya might pick those up too

In the meantime, I'll go ahead and start working through that Lyman 48th Edition reloading manual, and picking out stuff for my cart in Midway USA.

Quote Originally Posted by VariableRecall View Post
    What should I do to avoid setting the primers off? just go for a smooth motion with the press itself?

What I'm talking about is the Lee Classic Loader. It's a reloading die set that is used with a mallet. It will set off the primers occasionally. It doesn't hurt you but scares you half to death until you get used to it. This set is not the same thing as a reloading press and die set. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012833230?pid=459280

With a reloading press and die set you have to have a specific tool to reprime the casings and there is no chance to set one off. You could use a specific priming tool with the above mentioned set but that sort of defeats the purpose.

What I recommended for you is
    Lee hand press kit, which will include a priming unit and funnel. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1013017131?pid=650614

And a separate die set https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020799378?pid=418312

The lee die set will come with a shell holder and a powder scoop. You can use the scoop and chart and get by a while instead of buying a scale and powder measure. The scoop will offer you something on the order of a light charge of powder for your caliber. So for example let's say the min charge is 3 grains and max is 5, the scoop will throw 3.5 grains. The included chart shows you which powder and how much and offers bullet weight and style to use with it. It doesn't afford any variation but you don't need that to start.

Those are the only things you need to get started, including reading the manual I offered.

A pair of calipers is nice to have but not needed to start, and much more useful than a micrometer. A mic is not needed to reload, but calipers sometimes are.

If you're near me, I'll offer you a reloading lesson.
    Last edited by Bazoo; 09-15-2020 at 03:42 AM.

Might as well get one of these while your at it. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012835065?pid=467111 you'll need it after a few reloads on the same brass.

And a case trimmer. The list never ends im to afraid to add up all my equipment Id probably run to the nearest cave and learn to throw a spear if i knew what my reloading equipment cost in total

What I'm talking about is the Lee Classic Loader. It's a reloading die set that is used with a mallet. It will set off the primers occasionally. It doesn't hurt you but scares you half to death until you get used to it. This set is not the same thing as a reloading press and die set. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012833230?pid=459280

With a reloading press and die set you have to have a specific tool to reprime the casings and there is no chance to set one off. You could use a specific priming tool with the above mentioned set but that sort of defeats the purpose.

What I recommended for you is
    Lee hand press kit, which will include a priming unit and funnel. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1013017131?pid=650614

And a separate die set https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020799378?pid=418312

The lee die set will come with a shell holder and a powder scoop. You can use the scoop and chart and get by a while instead of buying a scale and powder measure. The scoop will offer you something on the order of a light charge of powder for your caliber. So for example let's say the min charge is 3 grains and max is 5, the scoop will throw 3.5 grains. The included chart shows you which powder and how much and offers bullet weight and style to use with it. It doesn't afford any variation but you don't need that to start.

Those are the only things you need to get started, including reading the manual I offered.

A pair of calipers is nice to have but not needed to start, and much more useful than a micrometer. A mic is not needed to reload, but calipers sometimes are.

If you're near me, I'll offer you a reloading lesson.
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/101119737?pid=309802
    Would this die set be acceptable? It doesn't come with some of the other items, but it does come with more dies.

I don't have really that much invested in my equipment. But I run pretty simple. Two single stage presses, one being the lee hand press. About the only thing I've bought new was a Lee sizing die, a couple Lee moulds. Everything else I bought used, including the Lee magnum melter, two presses, my die sets, my RCBS moulds, my lubesizer.

I do use a Lyman universal trimmer, but I didn't buy it till I got into rifle loading and I had to trim cases. I DO trim 38 special brass now, but before that I just loaded it by brand or I measured it and loaded it by length. I wish I'd started trimming it with a lee trimmer set years ago.

That kit comes with a factory crimp die some swears ya have to have em others swear at em. I myself never needed one. Its one of those things that ya can spring for but not necessary. One other thing if you use the fcd it can size oversize lead bullets down which may cause leading if you are shooting for larger bullets
    Last edited by Ozark mike; 09-15-2020 at 04:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by VariableRecall View Post
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/101119737?pid=309802
    Would this die set be acceptable? It doesn't come with some of the other items, but it does come with more dies.
    That die set is identicle to the one I showed except it adds Lees carbide seat die. Personally I don't think it's needed. The purpose of it is to iron out any wrinkles from over crimping, or to size down an overly fat bullet to ensure chambering. You won't have overly fat bullets and if you learn to set your dies you won't buckle the case and cause wrinkles. The benefit of the die, is if you're running a progressive machine and making thousands of rounds in a batch, it'll catch a problem you wouldn't notice otherwise. It is nearly useless though if you're loading only hundreds on a single stage press.

Course all this is my opinion. Everyone loads in their own way with regards to some of the little stuff.

That die set is identicle to the one I showed except it adds Lees carbide seat die. Personally I don't think it's needed. The purpose of it is to iron out any wrinkles from over crimping, or to size down an overly fat bullet to ensure chambering. You won't have overly fat bullets and if you learn to set your dies you won't buckle the case and cause wrinkles. The benefit of the die, is if you're running a progressive machine and making thousands of rounds in a batch, it'll catch a problem you wouldn't notice otherwise. It is nearly useless though if you're loading only hundreds on a single stage press.

Course all this is my opinion. Everyone loads in their own way with regards to some of the little stuff.
    https://hoosierbullets.com/38-calibe...i-tech-coated/

I'm looking at bullets recommended by the vendor sites in this forum, and I've found these Hi-Tek coated SWC bullets. Would these be acceptable for me starting out as a first timer? The general agreement among people is that you may need to be careful with the crimping to prevent the coating from sloughing off when they are pressed into the brass.
    I really can't say no to a pile of bullets starting at $0.079 per bullet, AND it comes with a coating to help prevent my exposure to lead.

Here's my current Midway USA Cart. I intend to grab some small things like a reloading tray if I'm short on anything in particular. This sure beats paying $300+ for ammo on Gunbroker, when I can invest in the potential to actually save a good deal of cash over time with the same wallet food. I'm also getting a Birthday Discount since my birthday's coming up.

Keep in mind I have NOT gone to checkout yet.

Lee Auto Prime Ergo Prime Hand Priming Tool

Lee Breech Lock Hand Press Kit

Lee Primer Pocket Cleaner

National Metallic Digital Caliper 6" Stainless Steel

Lyman Load Data Popular Revolver

Lee Deluxe Carbide 4-Die Set 38 Special, 357 Magnum

Lee Safety Balance Beam Mechanical Powder Scale 100 Grain Capacity

Stuff on Backorder:
    Lee Auto Prime Hand Priming Tool Shellholder #1 (38 S&W, 38 Special, 357 Magnum) Glad I didn't forget that!

Starline Brass 38 Special Box of 100 (Bulk Packaged)

Let me know if there's anything that's missing, besides the bullets and primers themselves, of course. I can't find primers anywhere, might want to check out my local sporting goods store for pistol primers.

I dont know if ya know this but i believe the ram prime comes with the hand press so no need to buy a hand primer unless its something you wanted just because.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozark mike View Post
    I dont know if ya know this but i believe the ram prime comes with the hand press so no need to buy a hand primer unless its something you wanted just because.
    Oh thank you! That certainly saves me some money! I'll remove it from my cart, then.

Anything else that needs to be accounted for? I'm taking off for the night. I'll check in here tomorrow!

Boolit Master
    Most load data is available online so I’d only buy a manual for the process information. If you have the Lyman 48th in pdf I think you can skip the lyman load data for revolvers.

Skip the primer pocket cleaner. BTW, the dirtiest part of the process is removing the fired primer, best done over a bucket.

Given the issues with primer availability I could ship you some sized and primed 38 special brass so all you’d need to do is expand, add powder (charge) and seat a bullet. I hate taking away part of learning the process, but I can’t ship primers except seated in brass. Send me a PM with an address if you’d like to take me up on this. I’ll also send you some unprimed brass so you can learn seating and crimping (I wouldn’t use the Lee Factory Crimp Die) with dummy cases.

If you are planning to measure each charge you’ll want a powder trickler. It’s slower than the scoop, but good to learn.

I’m sure that Inhave a spare #1 shell holder, but I don’t use the lee primer, can anyone tell me if they are specialin some way or will a regular one work?

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast