Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee Precision
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading EverythingWideners
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Getting started with reloading for my S&W Model 10-5?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by VariableRecall View Post
    Well, for a 158gr lead SWC that I've got in my inventory, 3.6 to 3.8 grains of Win 231 will do nicely. Even better, I've now purchased the Lee Powder Dipper set, so I can dump around 3.5 grains of Win 231 (WOW! That's a tiny amount), and use my powder trickler to adjust to the exact load that I want out of the loads I am working with.
    That is why we all are extremely careful in avoiding double charges. 3.5 grains just dusts the pan.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJames View Post
    That is why we all are extremely careful in avoiding double charges. 3.5 grains just dusts the pan.
    Speaking of being very careful about loads, would Winchester 231 be OK to use with Full Wadcutter bullets? Obviously, they should be underloaded considering the amount of bullet that rests in the case. Do you have any brands/websites of full-wadcutter bullets that you would recommend?

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    With soft lead swaged 148 HBWC bullets 3.0-3.2 grains of W231 approximates factory wadcutter velocity and shouldn't be exceeded as it may blow the skirt.

With cast, solid-based 146-150-grain DEWCs you can load from 3.5 to 4.2 grains of W231 with a bullet similar to the Saeco #348, Saeco #052 or H&G No. 50 at 1.265" OAL. The 3.5 grain charge is listed by Lyman in the Cast Bullet Handbook 4th Edition (2010) on p. 255 as being 743 fps @ 12,300 cup and the max 4.2 grain load as 915 fps @ 16,800 cup.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    With soft lead swaged 148 HBWC bullets 3.0-3.2 grains of W231 approximates factory wadcutter velocity and shouldn't be exceeded as it may blow the skirt.

With cast, solid-based 146-150-grain DEWCs you can load from 3.5 to 4.2 grains of W231 with a bullet similar to the Saeco #348, Saeco #052 or H&G No. 50 at 1.265" OAL. The 3.5 grain charge is listed by Lyman in the Cast Bullet Handbook 4th Edition (2010) on p. 255 as being 743 fps @ 12,300 cup and the max 4.2 grain load as 915 fps @ 16,800 cup.
    Thanks for the detailed info! do you know about any online retailers that sell them?

Boolit Master
    Midway, USA usually sells them, but they may be out. I looked for my standard for my 44 Special - Speer swaged 240 gr .430" swc's, and it said out of stock, no back order. That's why I have started casting a similar boolit. Figured the stampede would take everything off the table.

Midway, USA usually sells them, but they may be out. I looked for my standard for my 44 Special - Speer swaged 240 gr .430" swc's, and it said out of stock, no back order. That's why I have started casting a similar boolit. Figured the stampede would take everything off the table.
    OK! looks like I found what I would be looking for!
    Has anyone else ordered from this supplier? I've estimated the price plus shipping to be about 8 cents a round! That's a pretty good deal!
    https://rimrockbullets.com/xcart/-38...r-per-900.html

Boolit Master
    I’ve got a friend that’s got a pretty good inventory of commercial bullets for reloading. He’s got them all in these well labeled clear heavy duty plastic containers. Really looks nice and convenient to use. Took him a few years to perfect the system, and during that time the only rounds he’s loaded were 50 at my house when I was teaching him.

I suggest that you stop buying and start loading.

No amount of money spent will make up for the experience of doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    No amount of money spent will make up for the experience of doing it.
    I'm well satisfied the the boolits that I've received from Hoosier, I'm just looking around for other varieties of bullets availible. Probably will be using that initial batch of SWC for a year or more.

Banned
    OK, Full disclosure here - I didn't read the entire thread (189 posts !)

VariableRecall - You have landed an OUTSTANDING gun ! A 4" K-frame chambered in 38 Special is an iconic firearm with incredibly good attributes.

The 38 Special is a forgiving cartridge to reload and extremely versatile. It is by far my favorite handgun cartridge.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0425.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	81.0 KB 
ID:	269698

Here are a couple of S&W model 10 revolvers.
    The one on top is a 10-7 that was formerly a Hong Kong Police issue. It has a Tyler T-grip adaptor installed.
    The one on the bottom of the photo is a 10-5 that was refinished with NP3 and Pachmayr "Gripper" grips.

The model 10 has been round for over 100 years in one form or another. S&W got it right.
    I have K-frames with the tapered barrel and K-frames with the heavy barrel. The extra weight of the heavy barrel helps the gun "hang" on target a little better and the recoil (which is minimal with 38 Special to start with) is a bit less. The tapered barrel is FAR more pleasant to carry due to the reduced weight. I gravitate a little more towards the tapered barrel models to take advantage of the weight reduction.

You could not have found a better handgun.

Good Luck !

Boolit Master
    OK! looks like I found what I would be looking for!
    Has anyone else ordered from this supplier? I've estimated the price plus shipping to be about 8 cents a round! That's a pretty good deal!
    https://rimrockbullets.com/xcart/-38...r-per-900.html
    It is my understanding that Rimrock bought the Oregon Trail company. Unless they have made major changes, I know for a fact that the Oregon Trail laser cast bullets are very good, and I have always read very good reviews on Rimrock. So in my opinion you made a good choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    VariableRecall - You have landed an OUTSTANDING gun ! A 4" K-frame chambered in 38 Special is an iconic firearm with incredibly good attributes.

The 38 Special is a forgiving cartridge to reload and extremely versatile. It is by far my favorite handgun cartridge.

Here are a couple of S&W model 10 revolvers.
    The one on top is a 10-7 that was formerly a Hong Kong Police issue. It has a Tyler T-grip adaptor installed.
    The one on the bottom of the photo is a 10-5 that was refinished with NP3 and Pachmayr "Gripper" grips.
    Thank you very much!
    I'd like to know where you were able to find those Tyler T-grip adapters. Are they still being produced? I've purchased a set of the Houge monogrips, and they do improve handling a good deal, but to be frank they degrade the aesthetics of blued steel against walnut. It seems the molded piece that adds more "meat" to the underside of the revolver would improve my ability to grip it while maintaining the aesthetics that I enjoy.

It is my understanding that Rimrock bought the Oregon Trail company. Unless they have made major changes, I know for a fact that the Oregon Trail laser cast bullets are very good, and I have always read very good reviews on Rimrock. So in my opinion you made a good choice.
    By the way, I haven't purchased anything from them just yet. Once my bullet supplies start getting low (less than 150 or so), I'd definitely consider them up next.

Banned
    Thank you very much!
    I'd like to know where you were able to find those Tyler T-grip adapters. Are they still being produced? I've purchased a set of the Houge monogrips, and they do improve handling a good deal, but to be frank they degrade the aesthetics of blued steel against walnut. It seems the molded piece that adds more "meat" to the underside of the revolver would improve my ability to grip it while maintaining the aesthetics that I enjoy.
    You can still get Tyler T-grip adaptors from Tyler Manufacturing:
    http://www.t-grips.com/

There is a caveat, You must print out the order form, fill out the order form, include a check or money order and MAIL IT. (like in an envelope, with a stamp )

The Tyler T-grip is Old School but it is a great device. It is nothing more than a piece of cast aluminum or bronze that is polished or coated. They are an excellent means to improve the grip without added bulk. They are speed loader friendly and they just flat work.
    Your model 10 is a square butt K-frame so it would take a #3 T-grip and you would probably want the shinny black finish or maybe the flat black finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    You can still get Tyler T-grip adaptors from Tyler Manufacturing:
    http://www.t-grips.com/

There is a caveat, You must print out the order form, fill out the order form, include a check or money order and MAIL IT. (like in an envelope, with a stamp )

The Tyler T-grip is Old School but it is a great device. It is nothing more than a piece of cast aluminum or bronze that is polished or coated. They are an excellent means to improve the grip without added bulk. They are speed loader friendly and they just flat work.
    Your model 10 is a square butt K-frame so it would take a #3 T-grip and you would probably want the shinny black finish or maybe the flat black finish.
    Don't you worry, I've got some Forever Stamps on hand and a checkbook. I'll check out their website! Thanks!

Name:	veryfirstLoadsSmall.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	60.9 KB 
ID:	270180

I've done it! I've loaded my first 48 rounds thanks to all of you nice people! I can't appreciate you all enough!
    158 gr SWC, loaded with 3.6gn of Win 231.

Just a quick question, are there any Lee Dippers that are in sizes between the ones in the Lee Dipper Set? The 0.3 Dipper rounds out to 3.2 grains, but the next one, 0.5, makes it about 4.1 grains.
    Is there a 0.4 Lee Dipper out there?

Boolit Grand Master

When you go to the range you will find empty 22 brass all over the place. Scarf up a handful. Start by soldering a piece of wire to the base for a handle, and scoop up some powder and weigh it. File it smaller until you get what you want. Mark it and make another, for your next desired load.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    When you go to the range you will find empty 22 brass all over the place. Scarf up a handful. Start by soldering a piece of wire to the base for a handle, and scoop up some powder and weigh it. File it smaller until you get what you want. Mark it and make another, for your next desired load.
    I suppose that I could also use any other brass that I come across that's in rough enough shape to not load. Perhaps some of my brass rejects could have a second life this way...

Nice looking cartridges. It appears the crimp is right where it should be in both amount and location.

You can sacrifice your lee dipper and sand it off to make it less volume.

Banned

Name:	veryfirstLoadsSmall.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	60.9 KB 
ID:	270180

I've done it! I've loaded my first 48 rounds thanks to all of you nice people! I can't appreciate you all enough!
    158 gr SWC, loaded with 3.6gn of Win 231.

Just a quick question, are there any Lee Dippers that are in sizes between the ones in the Lee Dipper Set? The 0.3 Dipper rounds out to 3.2 grains, but the next one, 0.5, makes it about 4.1 grains.
    Is there a 0.4 Lee Dipper out there?
    You're up and running !

And for powder dippers you can use empty casings filed down to give the volume you desire. A .22 LR casing will hold about 3.1 grains of ww231. A 22 mag casing (or a 25 ACP or 32 ACP, etc. ) could also be trimmed to give whatever volume you desire.

Bazoo's suggestion of filing down a Lee dipper is also a possibility. If you customize any dippers make certain you label them well.

You did an excellent job on those first reloads.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast