RotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad Data
WidenersRepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .357 Couger build

Boolit Master

.357 Couger build

About 2 years ago, I saw a Couger build on a FB gunsmithing group which was pretty darned tasty. Seeing that reminded me when I was a youngster about 3 or so decades ago and seeing this strange hybrid beast (a Colt Python barrel on a Ruger Security-Six frame) in a magazine - so I googled around and on eBay (of all places!) found and snagged a brand-new 4" Colt Python barrel (new old stock from the Colt factory sold at auction).

It arrived promptly and I then found a donor Security-Six with a bulged barrel - perfect.

I sent the parts to Alex Hamilton in San Antonio (Ten Ring Precision) for the build which took a few weeks and I got this back:

The DA trigger is typical Ruger - the weight is all over the place during the pull - but SA is 4lbs exactly and almost perfectly crisp (I can feel a tiny *snick* feeling just before it fires, so I can actually "stage" it). The barrel stays where it should and the revolver shoots tiny groups at 7 yards. Yep, I'm happy - good-to-go.

I bought the Dec 1979 Guns magazine (which first brought the Couger to the world), took photos and made a PDF:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fu0y8b0s5q...ouger.pdf?dl=0

Oh yeah, costs:

Ruger: $440 ($400 + $30 shipping + $10 transfer)
    Python barrel: $290
    Shipping to Smith, Fedex insured: $24
    Gunsmith work: $395
    Texas sales-tax (6.25%): $25
    Overnight shipping back to me: $65

Total: $1,239
    My Iraq Pics

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club

Not that far off from a python

Boolit Master

I like it. Has that low down don't mess with me look to it.

I thought you were going to talk about a thirty something hottie building a gun.

Boolit Master

I like it too!

Quote Originally Posted by TNsailorman View Post
    I like it. Has that low down don't mess with me look to it.
    I agree. There is something about a ventilated rib on the barrel of a handgun that radiates meanness.

That looks like it was meant to be.... Wow.
    "Give me liberty, or give me death!" Patrick Henry ,March 23, 1775

Boolit Master
    Hamilton Bowen is installing Colt Anaconda barrels on .45 Colt Ruger Redhawks; they look pretty slick, too.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master
    When I was working as a Peace Officer in the wheelgun days I carried the Ruger Security Six, my Sergeant carried a Cougar. He carried the 6” stainless. My Security Six was also a 6” stainless.

Boolit Grand Master
    It is a very nice build...but $300 more than buying a S&W 686 Performance Center.

If “the look” is worth it, that is great! Is there any other reason to do the conversion?

Not trying to be a Debbie Downer....just wondering what the advantages are.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Looks better?

But, I am biased cause I love the look of the Python.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    It is a very nice build...but $300 more than buying a S&W 686 Performance Center.

If “the look” is worth it, that is great! Is there any other reason to do the conversion?

Not trying to be a Debbie Downer....just wondering what the advantages are.
    No, I totally understand your point - no offense taken in the slightest and I have to admit up-front that I was so excited to find a Python barrel that I failed to calculate what the whole project would end up costing

A few things went into this decision.

I love the looks of the Python but I've never been impressed with the longevity of the Python mechanism (which really is a by-product of the precision of its lockup and requires expert re-tuning from time to time) - whereas the Ruger frame/action is built like a bank-vault. Pretty much a hard-working yet accurate .357 that will hold up well over the next few decades.

Python barrels are known for their accuracy so combining a superb, sexy-looking barrel with a strong action is something I wanted. Overall, I'd put it down to "nostalgia" to finally be able to own something fairly unique and cool that I'd first seen a few decades ago.

Last edited by AndyC; 09-15-2020 at 10:36 AM.
    My Iraq Pics

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by nicholst55 View Post
    Hamilton Bowen is installing Colt Anaconda barrels on .45 Colt Ruger Redhawks; they look pretty slick, too.
    Very slick indeed:

http://bowenclassicarms.com/workshop...BarrelRedhawks
    My Iraq Pics

Davis Custom did a 6” one for one of my late friends back in the day. They matte finished the nickel Python barrel and stainless Ruger action to match. They tuned the trigger pull(s) as well and it was a superbly accurate revolver. His step dad still has it just two miles from here. I could be remembering wrong; but S&W K frames were also done and called “Smolts”. Neat looking, feeling, and shooting customs.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I could be remembering wrong; but S&W K frames were also done and called “Smolts”. Neat looking, feeling, and shooting customs.
    Around here they were called Smythons.
    Target shooters claimed the faster twist shot better, particularly at longer distances. The S&W action would last longer than the Colt between tunings when under constant use.
    Kind of the best of both worlds.

Boolit Master
    Handled a Redhawk 4” and an Anaconda 4” side by side. Funny thing, IMO the Ruger felt better.

Boolit Master

I like the Cougar. Nice looking pistol you got there. I think it looks better than an original Python. A good bit stronger than one too.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Mold
    Love my Smython / Smolt 6 inch. This was my first revolver purchase and just got lucky.

Boolit Grand Master
    Thanks for enlightening me Andy. Love all the things I learn from folks here.

Was not aware of the issues with Colts. When I was shopping for a revolver I really wanted a Python but could not justify the $$$$. Wound up getting his and hers 686+ revolvers for less than a Python.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Not that far off from a python
    Indeed, just far ENOUGH. This is basically a Python that isn't murderously slow to reload. Far easier & faster to mash or push a cylinder release button, than to pull it backward, a la Colt Snake Gun.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast