Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline FabricationWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: Range Report.....First Powder Coated Shots

Range Report.....First Powder Coated Shots

I’m sure some of you saw my thread pertaining to my issues with my high resistance to sizing my first powder coated rounds for my 45-70 Marlin Guide Gun. I had some more issues beyond the press....but, endured and “pressed on” (pun intended)!

RANGE REPORT.....

Shot the first 5 rounds @50 yards, just to get on paper, check guesstimated pressures, and fire the first 2 or 3 less than desirable rounds that were the “test subjects” getting my seating and crimp proper.

Loaded 5 more rounds, adding one grain more powder than the original 5 rounds. Went to my bench, with target @100 yards, shooting over the chrono.

First shot landed high and right, made a scope adjustment, and fired the remaining 4 rounds. Didn’t allow barrel to cool between shots.....less than 3 minutes between rounds.

Overall, at this point ....pretty pleased! Recoil pretty tame, pressure appears mild, rounds cycled very cleanly, group was pretty good (bordering on real good), and velocity acceptable!

I’m pretty sure that there are many of you with much greater experience can and do better....but, I’m pretty pleased with my first rounds downrange! memtb

Photo Evidence Below....

Banned
    Cool deal ---- no wait a minute, Powdercoating doesn't work LOL

Conditor22, I was concerned, it seemed that nothing was going well. The bullets weren’t the prettiest I’ve cast, then the sizer/lubricator issues, plus a few more “undisclosed” mess-ups by me. But, in spite of my best attempts....they shoot pretty good.

Now, a new dilemma! Leave’m be, or push for more velocity? What seems to be the target velocities for the majority of the Guide Gun shooters! I’m not too disappointed with 1800 fps! memtb

Boolit Master
    Good job, actually great job for a first time casting.

Yes, you could try for faster. Just keep increasing the load until the groups open up.

Boolit Buddy
    What as your recipe? Those sound pretty stout.

Boolit Master
    PS note that you should not exceed max loads for your rifle

Recipe: The usual warnings apply to this information! Accurate Molds - 430 grain WNGC bullet ( straight wheel weights), gas checked and powder coated, sized to .459” (I hand-lapped my barrel prior to shooting), Starline Nickel Brass, CCI 200’s, 43.0 grains of RL 7!

These are shot in my Guide Gun, they exhibit no obvious pressure signs, and velocities are well below some of the published velocities I’ve seen. However, anything is possible on the internet!

I’m pretty pleased with the accuracy, and gaining another 100 to 200 fps offers little for my uses for the rifle! memtb

Banned
    You could try a group 2 grains hotter and a group 2 grains lower and see what that tells you.

I do all my load development on a sled or rest to eliminate as many variables as possible. Then if/when I do bad free hand I can blame it entirely on myself and not the load

I'm not concerned with velocity. I start low and work up to where I get the most accurate load. IF I reach the top load recommendation without getting the accuracy I want I move on to another powder.

I shoot for fun and getting kicked by a mule when I pull the trigger isn't my idea of fun.

Thanks Contidor22! I don’t have a lead sled (or similar) as I don’t shoot that much. This rifle/load is quite mild as compared to my regular hunting rifle! I simply have too many things going. Heck, I barely get to do any serious hunting anymore.

I did some research using RL 7, and started near the lower end of other’s load data. As I mentioned earlier, I shot 5 at a pretty much guaranteed light load. Those 5, were quite tame, so I went up 1 full grain, shot 5, and this was the result.

I don’t shoot for fun much anymore (time constraints). I try to quickly find something that works satisfactorily, and “leave’r be”. Then store-up on those components.

My next and likely “final” mission, is to develop a good accurate, hot load, with 400 grain cast in my 460 XVR. If I’m as successful with it as this appears to have been, I’ll just do some occasional shooting!

I’m a bit envious of you guys that have the time to pursue your passions. Keep doing what your doing! All the best! memtb