MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLee Precision
WidenersRotoMetals2RepackboxLoad Data
Reloading Everything

Thread: Heeled Cast Lead Bullets

Heeled Cast Lead Bullets

I have a supply of .458 gas checks. I've searched the internet for a supply of heeled cast lead bullets, but I'm coming up empty. Since I don't cast my own, can anyone give me some suggestions where I can purchase a supply or someone who molds them for purchase? Thanks. At some point I'd also like to do the for this for .430 bullets for gas checks.
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    Heeled boolits are prolly what you don`t want, they are made to fit in the case and have the bullets the same o.d. as the case, they are usually used or made for old cartridges with cyl. bored str. thru. such as the .44 colt and other incl. the .22 rf. I`m not aware of any 45é70 type cals. that require heeled boolits, what I think you are looking for are boolits made from molds cut for a gas check aka: gas check design.

Quote Originally Posted by MT Chambers View Post
    Heeled boolits are prolly what you don`t want, they are made to fit in the case and have the bullets the same o.d. as the case, they are usually used or made for old cartridges with cyl. bored str. thru. such as the .44 colt and other incl. the .22 rf. I`m not aware of any 45é70 type cals. that require heeled boolits, what I think you are looking for are boolits made from molds cut for a gas check aka: gas check design.
    Yes, that's exactly what I'm looking for. As you can tell, I'm kind of new to this. Thanks for setting me straight. Now, where can I get what I'm looking for? Any thoughts?
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    Most folks will sell cast boolits sized. lubed, and with the gas check installed. Maybe someone on here will make those for you and sell to you às cast`. I`d do it but am in Canada and believe they can`t be shipped. You would prolly be better to sell those gas checks or take up casting as what you want to do kinda doesn`t make sense financially.

Thanks MT. Understood. After being in discussion with a few specialty casters, they convinced me it wasn't worth trying to find bullets for my gas checks based on the cost and questionable performance for my type of shooting (target).
    Update: Found boolits with gas checks at Hunters Supply. But man, they aren't cheap!
    Last edited by Dogbone13; 09-19-2020 at 10:36 PM.

Boolit Bub
    That was the reason I began casting and handloading...