Titan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2Load Data
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Lee Precision

Thread: A little help?

Boolit Master

A little help?

When i was a youngster, my mom would make fried apples. She'd always have them with roasted pork (& fried squirrel). they were always sweet syrupy & sticky.

What I don,t know is how she did them.

She'd peal the apples, run them them through a "slicer" (which still have) that cored them & sliced them.
    then she'd fry them in butter, add sugar & cinnamon and we'd mound them up on biscuits.

This is a food of the "Gods" Ladies & Gentlemen!!

Can anyone help me out to re-create this delicacy?

What type of apples to use, amount of sugar/cinnamon etc.

Thanks in advance!!
    Bob

Moderator Emeritus

Use a cooking apple so it holds texture well(there are many varieties, Granny Smith is one), bring butter to a foam over medium to low heat, add apples and cook until tender. Don't get to hot or the butter will burn! When apples are almost tender add cinnamon and sugar to taste and cook until it gets syrupy, make sure you stir every so often so no burning.

No real recipe but more of a technique.

Boolit Master
    Thanks Mary,
    I'll give a go tonight
    Bob

Boolit Master
    They turned out great Mary, THANK YOU.

(Brought leftover biscuits & apples for work breakfast )
    Bob

Moderator Emeritus

I do it all the time on cold days, like apple pie filling without the work of making a pie. I sometimes cook 4-5 apples down at once, thaw frozen biscuits and split in half then top the apples and bake until the biscuits are done. Brush with butter and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar before baking if desired. Apples will get a bit soft but if you slightly under cook them in the pan it works better.

Sounds like ya got the technique down.
    The only thing missing might be knowing exactly which kind of apples Mom used.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Mary do you send care packages, that sounds awful good.

Moderator Emeritus

Back in the day I used to use Rome apples but hardly see them marketed anymore. Growers nearby are Gala or Macintosh.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

We had the best apple tree back on the farm, mom always had us pick more than enough for 2 pies. She made up 2 pies and the rest got canned for later, always had pie filling on the pantry shelf, or just used as topping on a bowl of french vanilla

They still own the farm, it's leased to a family from their church, and the folks still have 'apple privileges.'
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    MaryB's resembled how Grandma did'em, except she prepared a one-dish meal on the stovetop, in a cast iron Griswold deep dish #8, alternately stacking concentric rows of cored apples, stuffed green peppers, acorn or Hubbard squash, tomatoes, ramps or onions and beets, whatever remained in the garden or pantry. Biscuits dough thinly rolled over all and X'ed to let out steam. The cored apples would be stuffed with chopped celery, raisins and corn, the green peppers and squash with pork sausage and peas or limas with cornbread stuffing. Everything would be sprinkled liberally with brown sugar, maple syrup or honey and dotted with pats of butter, seasoned with cayenne, salt and black pepper, then covered with the cast iron lid, and slow cooked all day on top of a flat stone placed on the woodstove.

Quite often dove breast, squirrel, rabbit, ham hocks, bass chunks or a mixture would be substituted for the ground pork, based on what she had.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master

I added a twist to my cooked apples. I split and core the apples a little butter cinamon and sugar. I then fire the smoker up and get it going with apple wood chips. apple cider in the water pot and smoke at around 200* until tender, Honey can be substituted for the sugar.

Boolit Mold
    Grew up with a Winesap tree in the back yard. We peeled, cored and sliced by hand. Dad was not a fan of anything sweet, so sugar was not a part of the recipe. Mom fried apples in butter with a dash of cinnamon. Dad fried in bacon grease with black pepper.

Boolit Master

I do apples in the microwave. Sometimes I core it and stuff the hollow with butter, brown sugar and a little cinnamon. Wrap in plastic wrap and poke some holes in that. On high for 3 minutes and check it, add more time if necessary. Sometimes, peel and dice it into 1/2 inch pieces, add butter, brown sugar and cinnamon, on high for 2 minutes, check it add more time if necessary. Add the diced, cooked apples to some vanilla ice cream--good to the taste, not to the waist line!
    Also, when bakng wild geese or ducks, we always filled the cavities with celery, onion, garlic, apple and butter. Kept them moist and juicy, as well as having a tasty side dish.
    Last edited by gbrown; 10-06-2020 at 08:00 PM. Reason: Additional info
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Use a cooking apple so it holds texture well(there are many varieties, Granny Smith is one), bring butter to a foam over medium to low heat, add apples and cook until tender. Don't get to hot or the butter will burn! When apples are almost tender add cinnamon and sugar to taste and cook until it gets syrupy, make sure you stir every so often so no burning.

No real recipe but more of a technique.
    Absolutely this. Cooking isn't like baking either. With baking, everything's an exact science. Exact measures, times, etc... Cooking is so much better! Once you've mastered basic techniques everything comes down to preference. Tastes, textures, and smells can be altered to your liking without ruining the dish (supposedly!).

Moderator Emeritus

Another great dish apple adds to is Kielbasa and potatoes. Add some carrots, onion potatoes to a 1 bl kielbasa and then quarter 2-3 apples and add them. Season and bake for an hour @350F. If you're feeding kids bring ketchup or bbq sauce. Add a 1/2 lb cabbage if you like it.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze