Titan ReloadingLoad DataRepackboxRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hodgdon Varget

Boolit Buddy

Boolit Master
    Varget is the best powder for both accuracy and velocity I've found for light bullets in my .22-250 and .243. I'm not even telling how fast Varget makes 36 gr. Barnes go in my old Browning .22-250 and it's sub MOA.

Quote Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
    Would you believe it even worked in my hornet? Admittedly, I did cheat a little. I duplexed it with H4227. Zero neck tension and 50gr bullet. It was accurate and pretty fast. How fast I don't know but it was flat shooting and worked well on small game. I've lost the data so I don't know the ratio but I'm not recommending it anyway.

I have used it in the Brit with cast and it seemed to work well, delivering sub-MOA. I didn't pursue that but I might do so now.
    My son and I like Varget in the 303 British as well. A proven load is 43 gr. with Speer 150 gr. HCSP and CCI200 primer. Not super fast at 2600 fps but we have killed several elk and a lot of white tail deer with that load. I also use Varget with cast at lower charge rates but have no kills to report, although accuracy is acceptable for hunting out to 150 yards or so.

I must confess that I stopped using Varget simply because it is visually indistinguishable from H4350 which I use for my hunting load in my No4 two-groove. Very accurate 180gr load. I'm going back to using Varget because I know it works so well with both the 150gr 303 bullet and in my 25-303 and it showed good results with cast.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Master
    I have been using Precision by Shooters Choice as of late due to no one having Varget. Seems Varget is the go to powder in 6Dasher and simular.

It's very crunchy in uniflo. Not much worse then 4895. best performance, trickle your loads.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    It's very crunchy in uniflo. Not much worse then 4895. best performance, trickle your loads.
    I’ve had good luck with it in my Uniflo. But, I weigh each charge and dump any that don’t meet Rick-spec back in the hopper. For me it’s faster than trickling.

In my humble opinion, Varget is the Unique of rifle powders. I regularly use it in cartridges ranging from .223 to .458Lott. The only cartridge that I don’t get excellent results using Varget is my 7x57 Mauser which prefers H414/W760.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Works great for me in my 336...

It also shot a .4” group out of my AR10 243 the other day using varget and 55 grain Nosler ballistic tips with a MV a little over 4000 FPS. The AR10 243 shoots tighter groups with H4985 pushed a 100 FPS faster.

Boolit Grand Master
    I switched from Varget to Precision in my 22BR. Similar velocities and group size was actually a bit smaller

Boolit Master

You will like it in both of those.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Bub
    Varget is named so because it is a "Varmint/Target" powder. There are loads for nearly every rifle case using Varget and while it may not be the best at everything, it works well in most. Any of the BR cases, 6mm, 22 BR Remington, even the 6PPC use Varget. I heard that some of the bench rest cartridges were actually developed around Varget powder to maximize efficiency, minimize case size, and obviously, be accurate.
    Lead, brass, and copper are the real precious metals.

I wondered where the name came from.

An interesting characteristic of Varget is that it apparently has a fast ignition rate, faster than any other powder in the same burn rate category.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

I always say I learn new things every day. “Varget” varmint/target...I’m done now...my brain can take it easy for the rest of day...I doubt it.

Boolit Master
    I like and use varget in 223 and 308, works great. Only problem i am hording what little I have left. I can’t find any

I bought 3 pounds on the two months. I’m sure it will last me quite a while.

Over ten years ago now I ran across an eight-pounder of Varget during one of the periodic Varget famines, and while I did still have 3 one-pounders in stock I thought: "Damn, I'd better buy this because maybe there isn't going to be any more."

As it has played out, I've never opened it, but knowing that it's there has improved my sleep immeasurably. And I can probably finance my final days in the rest home by selling it at the right moment.
    Cognitive Dissident

If you pay the marked up price; it's pronounced "Varjay"....

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I have heard people in the Match target set, say the varget burns "hot". Barrel life is extended if they shift to 4064 or a ball powder. I can't say whether this is true or not. Varget gives me good results in .223 bolts and ARs. Shooters World precision rifle works just as well too.

Boolit Master
    TAC is very close to varget and easier to find .meters very smoothly.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12