Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingLoad DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I've got good news and bad news

Boolit Master

I've got good news and bad news

First the bad news. As of last Thursday evening I collected my personal stuff and turned in my badge and inspection stamps towards the end that I am now officially retired. And so will prolly be spending more time around here.

The good news? Now that I'm retired, and in good health, I hope to do a lot of things I haven’t had the time or inclination for. I'm also going to make a sincere effort to lose the chip I've carried on my shoulder most of my adult life. I guess we'll see how that works out.
    You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
    Winston Churchill

Boolit Buddy
    You'll like retirement! I did it 20 years ago and never looked back. I got a little bored 4 years ago and took a summer job with Game and Parks mowing their campsites at a local lake. There is always something to do. As far as the Chip goes, keep just a little piece of it.

Retirement life rocks! Beats the heck out of working for a living.

Find yourself a couple of activity's/hobby's that get you involved in new things. New things to learn, new ways of doing things.

Take off your watch, you no longer need it. Get a clock for the wall that tells you the time, date, day of the week, etc. Because after a while there is no difference between the days. Wed is no different than Sunday unless you choose to do things based on the calendar not what and how you are feeling.

Grocery shopping I prefer Mon - Wed before 8am. Although I may have an Aldi's order delvered by Instantcart any day of the week as needed.

Sit down and ask yourself seriously, "What would I need to have to be truly happy?"

Tip, it is not going to be physical things, cars, big screen tv's, etc. Even guns.

A thousand rounds of ammo for your favorite gun might nudge you in that direction.

A big stock of primers is helpful if you have lead and powder to go with them.
    Main thing is to relax and enjoy.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Master
    Looking forward to your position. Have been self employed since 78 my knees have finally crashed and burned ( mechanic kneeling a lot on cold wet frozen surfaces probably had something to do with it) spring will have two new knees (suspension upgrade) and only do fun jobs IF I feel like it shooting and hunting/fishing will become main line of work. LOL Congrats on making it to where you are.

Boolit Buddy
    I retired January 2019. I have never worked so hard in my life. 20 years of projects built up.

Shelly
    "EXPERT= Ex is a has been, spurt is a drip under pressure" Unknown

USMC 77, USRA 79

get a camper.... come to Alaska.. spend some of your retirement and go fishing, hunting, get off the beaten path.
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Master
    I’m 6 years into retirement. The first year was the hardest, wondering if I did the right thing and if the money would last. Now on the rare occasion I look at my investment accounts I see there is more money there than 6 years ago, and I find myself thinking “I’m glad I don’t have to go to work today “
    I don’t know what chip you carry, but if it causes negative thoughts or feelings, loose it. Life’s too short to be unhappy.

Boolit Buddy
    I have retired at least four different times from education. Always a program to develop and kids to help. This past May my wife and I both called it quits. I do miss some of the challenges of work and yes, as was said, you wonder about money since for the first time you don't have that check coming in. I am.bkeased to have a decent state pension.

It does take some time, we are just a few months in the virus gave us a head start on being home in March. I burned through a bunch of house projects and some reloading ones and now have some bigger ones. If I don't feel like doing something I just don't. The only day I care about is Sunday, every other day is Saturday. Most of the time I have no clue what day of the week it is.

My advice is to slow down and enjoy the little things, life isn't forever on this earth.

Boolit Master

I retired a bit over twenty years ago but now it seems I need to see if they will hire me back (Mining) so I can get some rest!

After retirement I increased my farming efforts, grow and sell apples, various berries, etc, try to spend time in my small machine shop working on retirement projects (gun related of course!) and trying to keep the other local farmers happy by repairing farm equipment. Not one day has been spent sitting around being bored!
    Statistics show that criminals commit fewer crimes after they have been shot

Boolit Master
    First off, thank you for your service!

As far as a chip goes, if it does not bother us, what’s the difference?

Everyone I talk to has an adjustment but I am sure you will work it out and you will have plenty of projects saved up.

If you do run out, your extended family here at boolits can surely find tasks for ya!

Depending on your skill set, there has to some invention yet to invent or problem to solve. There is always those big flat rate shipper boxes and send some lead and a mold and ship some boolits back?

Well just sayin’ .....

Best regards

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master

I'm also retired. I often answer when someone asks about it that it is the best job I ever had. I am a do-it-myselfer. As such I always have projects. Some big, some small. Make a list and prioritize them. Like someone mentioned, ditch the watch. Only use the clock when you have important appointments. Make sure you allow for helping those you know by volunteering your time. Above all, lose "the chip on your shoulder" you spoke about. It will only make you sour and will drag you down.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Master
    Hi...
    I retired a little over two years ago.
    I don't miss being in the work force or the politics of the workplace.
    I spend a lot of time reloading ammuntion, studying military history and taking care of things around The Estate.
    I don't with about money...my retirement income is enough to I at the bills and provide an adequate amount of discretionary spending.

Sounds like good and better news. I retired in 2012 at 55 years old and never regretted it. I am now very busy doing things I need and want to. Congratulations !

Moderator Emeritus

You are lucky being in good health. Enjoy your retirement. I retired almost four years ago on a disability. If it wasn't for the pain it would be great. Gonna find out you dont have enough time to get everything done. My biggest problem still is that I put pressure on myself when there is no need to. Just used to being an A+++ personality. Relax and enjoy. Having a lil chip is good when you get old, you earned it. Enjoy.
    Ron

Congratulations on your retirement. Did it twice myself. New doors will open for you. You'll probably make some new friends. Enjoy.

Banned

What chips?

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Congrats and good luck to you in the next chapter your life. If you are like most of us who retired, you'll wonder how you got everything done while you were working. Life's too short not to enjoy each and every day - so enjoy each one and do some things you've always thought about doing while you are healthy and still young enough to do them. It may sound stupid, but one of my favorite times of the day is getting up. sitting with my wife at breakfast and watching the day break, knowing that I don't have to be somewhere by a certain time.

As far as the chip on your shoulder - I guess we all have a bit of one - but over time, you'll find that you enjoy things more and even those that you don't necessarily agree with, just don't seem to bothe you as much. Enjoy your family, friends and have fun!

What surprises me the most in retirement is that younger people find time in their day for a job. I'm busy daylight to dark without one. Gp

I retired 3 years ago.

I've found that it's a tough job, but somebody has to do it.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

After 50 years of running my own business and working from can to cain't 6 days a week , I retired and had no idea of what to do with myself .
    I still don't know what I do ... but I can tell you I stay so busy doing " stuff" all day long ... and wish I could go to my old office to get away from all this work . Sitting at a drafting table drawing is much easier than all the chores the wife finds for me ...
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast