WidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2Repackbox
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I've got good news and bad news

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by monadnock#5 View Post
    First the bad news. As of last Thursday evening I collected my personal stuff and turned in my badge and inspection stamps towards the end that I am now officially retired. And so will prolly be spending more time around here.

The good news? Now that I'm retired, and in good health, I hope to do a lot of things I haven’t had the time or inclination for. I'm also going to make a sincere effort to lose the chip I've carried on my shoulder most of my adult life. I guess we'll see how that works out.
    congratulations, i say retirement is better than graduating from high school.

Boolit Master

In to several years of boredom I met a scrapper who was looking for some help but couldn't pay much. I gave it a try and spent a blast. most of the stuff we haul away was useless but we got a bunch of good stuff now and then. We got some really weird too. One was a house that a guy was crazy about Halloween and filled his house and basement with life size spooks. Then he got depressed and went down to the basement where he parted 6 spooks around a poker table. After writing a suicide note he put on a costume and blew his brains out. The family that asked us to clean up the stuff didn't tell us there was some human parts and pieces still in the basement. My boss went down ahead of me and let out a scream that scared me almost soiling my drawers. A lot of great stuff we sold was like new and we kept some for our selves. It was a treasure hunt a lot of the time. What a great time we had.
    Ole Jack
    "'Necesity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of Tyrants: it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt, 1783
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we faulter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln.

Cast Boolits Owner

Congratulations!

I retired 4 months ago after working 35 years for Uncle Sam. I use to put in 1 1/2 - 3 hours Monday through Friday every evening after work on my projects as well as 8 hours on Saturday with possibly 4 on Sunday. I still wake at 0400 but now take my time getting ready to “work” and no matter what I do today I am always done by 2 PM. Life is easy.
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Boolit Master
    I retired in 1995 after working over 33 years around the clock. Anyone who says working shiftwork is great is a fool. Many marriages went south. I was well and truely burned out. Got to see my two daughters grow up.get engaged and married. Work on what I want and when I want. Frank

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by xs11jack View Post
    In to several years of boredom I met a scrapper who was looking for some help but couldn't pay much. I gave it a try and spent a blast. most of the stuff we haul away was useless but we got a bunch of good stuff now and then. We got some really weird too. One was a house that a guy was crazy about Halloween and filled his house and basement with life size spooks. Then he got depressed and went down to the basement where he parted 6 spooks around a poker table. After writing a suicide note he put on a costume and blew his brains out. The family that asked us to clean up the stuff didn't tell us there was some human parts and pieces still in the basement. My boss went down ahead of me and let out a scream that scared me almost soiling my drawers. A lot of great stuff we sold was like new and we kept some for our selves. It was a treasure hunt a lot of the time. What a great time we had.
    Ole Jack
    Thank you! I do feel fortunate to have finally made it. Today I'm going to see about getting the rosebed ready for winter. It's been neglected and deserves some tlc. They're an old fashioned rose with stems poorly suited for arrangement in a vase, but there are no blooms that smell better.
    You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
    Winston Churchill

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by No_1 View Post
    Congratulations!

I retired 4 months ago after working 35 years for Uncle Sam. I use to put in 1 1/2 - 3 hours Monday through Friday every evening after work on my projects as well as 8 hours on Saturday with possibly 4 on Sunday. I still wake at 0400 but now take my time getting ready to “work” and no matter what I do today I am always done by 2 PM. Life is easy.
    When I worked straight 3rd shift hours I'd do my best to flip my schedule on the weekends to do things with the family. When I switched over to the 4 10hr days I stopped trying. Fixing that, I think, will be my biggest short term challenge.
    You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
    Winston Churchill

Cast Boolits Owner

Quote Originally Posted by monadnock#5 View Post
    When I worked straight 3rd shift hours I'd do my best to flip my schedule on the weekends to do things with the family. When I switched over to the 4 10hr days I stopped trying. Fixing that, I think, will be my biggest short term challenge.
    Changing the life long schedule has been my only issue so far. I have switched from tending to forum in the evening to tending to it early in the morning.

One of the welcomed changes is my ability to enjoy breakfast everyday with my wife which is a welcomed change since she cooks better than me.

Lastly I always said I would be one of the “range guys” once I retired. You know the type - but I have only been 2 times since retiring.
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Boolit Master

My wife still works. For another 22 months, God willing. She works on the front end. A Bachelor of Science degree, a go along to get along mentality and no chip, except maybe where I'm concerned, has taken her far.

Twice a week. That's all I want. Twice a week at the range and I'll be a happy guy.
    Winston Churchill

"Twice a week. That's all I want. Twice a week at the range and I'll be a happy guy."

You sound like me, Before I quite I thought I would be able to go to the range every month and camping every week. So far I haven't gone once. First I quit in the winter then the bug then it got to hot to want to go then the smoke comes and don't want to do stuff outside so I start working on stuff around the house outside when the heat and smoke aren't to bad. So I have things that I want to finish before winter that are taking longer than I thought and being a caregiver helps use up time and than when I do have time for me I don't feel like doing anything.

I have done some casting and cooked down some range scrap got some stuff ready to load and worked on the cars. I'm now about half way through turning a back porch/steps into a deck. So it's not like I just sit around but it's not what I was thinking it would be like before I quit. I think some days I work harder that I did before. So like they say you have got to stay flexible .But it is still better then going to work every day to a job I came to hate.
    We go through life trying to make the best decisions we can based on the best infomation we can find, that turns out to be wrong.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by facetious View Post
    "Twice a week. That's all I want. Twice a week at the range and I'll be a happy guy."

You sound like me, Before I quite I thought I would be able to go to the range every month and camping every week. So far I haven't gone once. First I quit in the winter then the bug then it got to hot to want to go then the smoke comes and don't want to do stuff outside so I start working on stuff around the house outside when the heat and smoke aren't to bad. So I have things that I want to finish before winter that are taking longer than I thought and being a caregiver helps use up time and than when I do have time for me I don't feel like doing anything.

I have done some casting and cooked down some range scrap got some stuff ready to load and worked on the cars. I'm now about half way through turning a back porch/steps into a deck. So it's not like I just sit around but it's not what I was thinking it would be like before I quit. I think some days I work harder that I did before. So like they say you have got to stay flexible .But it is still better then going to work every day to a job I came to hate.
    The range I belong to isn't cheap. The last several years the fees I've paid I've chalked up to the support of the Second Amendment. The "freedom isn't free" concept. Although, in the name of truth and honesty, I will take full advantage of the clause in the club bylaws for the reduction of dues for a 65 year old member with 5 years of continuous membership. In the meantime, I'll get some physical enjoyment out of this year's membership.
    Winston Churchill

Boolit Master
    I retired in July of 2014 and had some strong doubts about my decision during my first winter when there wasn't much to do. I have a great routine now and really enjoy life. I do work on my son-in-law's farm during planting and harvest and really enjoy the long days in the fields and I have a volunteer job that keep me busy for a few hours each week. We live on a lake and our summers are filled with our kids and grandkids visiting us. I hunt a lot more and when I feel bored, I cast boolits and reload. Retired life is good!
    Maineboy

Boolit Master

I worked on my great uncle's farm for several summers when I was a teenager. If I could have had a place like that for my own, I would have jumped in with both feet. I've never had the feeling of self satisfaction at the end of the day with any job I've had since.
    Winston Churchill

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by No_1 View Post
    Changing the life long schedule has been my only issue so far. I have switched from tending to forum in the evening to tending to it early in the morning.

One of the welcomed changes is my ability to enjoy breakfast everyday with my wife which is a welcomed change since she cooks better than me.

Lastly I always said I would be one of the “range guys” once I retired. You know the type - but I have only been 2 times since retiring.
    I still haven't finished my range but in my defense been doing a lot of other projects. My pistol range building (20x16 utility shed with a 10x8 seperate pistol range portion) is built. Still have to make Dutch doors and put up counters in that section. Projects never end.

Boolit Master

I retired in 03 and I tell people who have just retired or who are about to retire to stand in front of the mirror and practice saying NO. Everyone you know will think it is their job to find you something to do. Enjoy your retirement.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

I'm three years into retirement from engineering and program management, and have never been as busy... I'm ready to retire from retirement.
    Restoring historical structures, organizing my own life and gear, getting adult children finally launched, and dealing with the covid constraints has been a hassle.
    I have well used my enjoyable construction and masonry skills on the journey and attended to projects and chores which demanded attention, so while it's been demanding and at times tedious, on balance its better than the alternatives.
    Now if I can make time to get back to shooting and maybe some extra time in the woods, I'd be a happier guy.
    Salvaging old Marlins is not a pasttime...it's a passion

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123