Load DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxReloading EverythingLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Wideners Inline Fabrication

Thread: .375 caliber twist rate in AR-10

Boolit Buddy

.375 caliber twist rate in AR-10

So I am going to buy a barrel in 375 Raptor and I’m at a dilemma . I can buy a pre-made barrel with a 1 in 8” twist . The advantage is I can have the barrel in my hot little hands by this weekend . I primarily want to shoot the Mihec 270 grain gaschecked boolit between 2000-2200 FPS after powder coating them . I also have 1000 , 225 grain Hornady PSP jacketed Bullets that will be loaded around 2600-2750 FPS . Is this 1 in 8” too fast for what I want to do ? Will the fast twist cause my cast boolits to skip or strip out , or would it be too fast for the light 225 grain Bullets from HDY ? I would prefer a 1-10 or 1-12 twist but I would have to wait for that to be made which would most likely be sometime in December before I receive it . Please let me know what you guys think about twist rates and cast boolits . Dilemmas dilemmas oh what do I do ? Thanks guys for any an all info to edjimicate this poor old country boy .

Boolit Grand Master
    I think my Ruger #1 is a 1-12" twist and it handles 310gr boolits as well as the 235 speer bullets. I think the 1-8" twist is too fast. Had a 50cal 1-9" twist and my boolits would come apart about 50yds down range.

Boolit Grand Master

Wait for the 12" twist barrel. The 8" is made for long heavy sub-sonic bullets and for really long heavy VLD type bullets for long range shooting.....neither of those uses is on your radar. The 12" twist will be best, especially with cast bullets.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Yeah, slower twist is better.
    For 200 yards shooting at bambi I used #375296 at 2100fps in a 12" twist and it worked great.